Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 10, 2024 12:41PM
I’m going to pick on a few classes here over the next few week and maybe the motorsport in general so stay tuned...

I'll start with a class that’s near and dear to my heart… LSS. I've loved this class since I was a wee little lad and I'm an old guy now and I'm knocking at the door of being a half century old and I still love this class. So let's get this underway.

First, the National Farm Machinery show wasn’t great for your class LSS pullers. To be honest it sucked. I know it wasn’t all your fault, clearly they didn’t want a pulloff so you had a pretty tight sled. That’s not your fault. I’m not holding that against you. But man it really sucked. To Mike Witt and Vaughn Bauer, this one-and-done class needs a pulloff. Having the vast majority of the class back at 214' is not a good show. Put the top tractors in the sand. I trust Scott Doty to know when to throw the red flag for the top tractors to get them shut down in time... get the rest of the class at least to 230'-235'.

What I am holding against you LSS pullers is the lack of variety and lack of tractors. You guys finally got two sessions a few years ago and it looked like your class finally had arrived on the big stage as one of the best classes in the sport. You were getting the recognition you well deserved. There was excitement and people were on the edge of their seats to see who’d win. Then everybody stopped applying. You shot your selves in the foot and the biggest losers were the fans. That's on all of you who don't apply.

Also, I know that you guys didn’t pick the tractors for the farm show but we had 2/3 of the class wearing MX hoods. Eight out of twelve being MX's is awful. I know, I know, you’ve all got you lightweight carbon fiber hoods but come on guys build something different. Somebody build a 460 or 706 or something… anything different and you don’t even need to crossdress to do it. Your class is/was known for variety and now it’s become as cookie cutter as any class out there. I’m not bashing Josh and Terry because their combination clearly works but I’m fairly certain you don't have to copy them exactly and your version of their Team Chizek tractors would still work with a 686 hood and fenders. Do better.

You class has/is pushing the alcohol technology more than your heavier brothers with 505 pushrod motors and you guys can put on an amazing show but play to your strengths… smaller tractor hood with tons of variety and one of the best pure drivers classes in the sport, A class where you don’t have the weight to miss on your setup. A class that keeps fans on the edge of their seats. Stop asking for more and more weight every year, it makes your class more and more boring.

I still love this class but fans want to see variety, not just cookie cutter MX tractors with different decals.

OK bash away...

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2024 01:26PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 10, 2024 12:49PM
Variety?

At least 9 of the 12 had Blackbourn motors at NFMS 2024.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 10, 2024 12:58PM
Did you actually read it? Becasue that was my point. If you're going to have the same engine and same chassis at least try to fake some variety with a different hood. (Isn't that most of motorsports now day... faking variety? Isn't almost every CaseIH is just a DT466 under the hood even though that's and IH and not a CaseIH?)

I'll also say there are plenty of non-Blackbourn motors in the class as a whole but the Farm Show was a poor example of variety.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2024 01:27PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 10, 2024 12:50PM
Agree 100 % --- well said Jake !!!!

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 10, 2024 01:35PM
Agree 100% also Jake

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 10, 2024 01:45PM
And just what does your tractor look and run like Jake?

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 2 - Arguing from Authority) March 10, 2024 02:15PM
Perfect response. Thanks for being the first to be 100% predictable.

Thanks for the perfect segway into Part 2 of this series... Agruing from Authority...

May I ask... What does your website look like? Yeah, I didn't think you had one. Does that mean you shouldn't have an opinion about how I run my website and what I should or shouldn't write about? That seems quite hypocritical of you. See how dumb an argument that is? Have you every criticized Joe Biden or Donald Trump (or any other President)? Well, shut your pie hole because you've never been President. See how dumb it sounds? It's just a terrible argument to assume you need a tractor to have an opinion. Terrible.

This is a problem that some pullers in this motorsport don't seem to understand. This sport needs fans. It needs pundits. There are entire media empires that are built on having opinions about sports, motorsports, politics, etc... It's the entire basis of sports radio. NASCAR, NHRA, etc... all have people who critique their sport. I know all pullers don't have this attitude, but there are some that do (as you proved). There are too many that think owning a tractor makes them some sort of expert. Here's a news flash, there are tons of people who know way more about this motorsport than many of the pullers. (I'm not saying I'm one of them but I can name a quite a few that know way more about this motorsport than many pullers)

The "What does your tractor look like"? Or "What do you pull"...is: old, weak, elitist, and boring. Do better. Be a man and dispute my opinion. Discuss the things I actually said. Tell me why I'm wrong. You're trying to make an argument from authority. You're pretending like owning a tractor gives you some special authority to have an opinion. I'll be completely honest, I've known pullers that have pulled for years (decades) and know nothing about the sport or even the class they pull in. Whether I own a tractor or not doesn't change a single thing I said and you know it. I'd say arguing from authority is the weakest of all arguments, but it's actually not an argument at all. As you proved.

How's that for "Things you don't want to hear"?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2024 10:53PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 2 - Arguing from Authority) March 10, 2024 02:29PM
And I’m just saying if u don’t like the show stay home next year. If u want to see a 706 build one. Or if the lss didn’t go far enough for u build one that will jump the sand pile. And as far as this website goes I seriously doubt you’ve ever dropped anywhere near the cost of a mx hood on it at one time

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 2 - Arguing from Authority) March 10, 2024 03:03PM
First, I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on this site over the past 27 years (that's not an exaggeration by the way, and that doesn't include the camera equipment that I purchased specifically for this site which is also tens of thousands of dollars... and yes one of those purchases was more than a stock hood and fenders and no, it doesn't include my time either which costs more than the money I've spent) That doesn't make me a website expert or photography expert. Far from it. I'm a terrible web designer and website owner and a mediocre tractor pulling photographer at best. I'm not sure how spending money on a hood or tractor makes anyone an expert anymore than me spending money on this site doesn't make me a website expert.

You point seems to be... I should spend the money and go do it and prove how great I am. First, I'm not saying I'm great, and I'm not saying I can do it any better than anyone, nowhere did I say that. Anywhere. Again, you're arguing that I don't have authority to speak about it until I do it. That's not a real discussion or argument.

Second, fans pay to see a quality show. One class is just part of that show. Nowhere did I say the rest of the show wasn't good. Nowhere did I say it wasn't worth the money or that I didn't wat to go next year. In fact, nowhere did I say there weren't some good runs in the class. I won't be staying home just because one class was bad this past year (It might be awesome next year). Again, it's a terrible argument.

Last, there were already tractors in the class that could " jump the sand pile" as you put it (I don't need to build one, they already exist). For the quality of the show the sled should have been setup so those few could have. Here's my question, why stop Josh at 240? Why not stop him at 140? Because it would make the show brutally bad. There were clearly a few tractors that have been consistently ahead of the class. If you set a tight sled for them the rest of the show suffers... and it did (sort of like having everyone else at 214' or less) . The powers that be didn't want a pulloff and I'm sure they had very good reasons, but it still hurt the quality of the show the LSS class put on.

I know you don't want to hear this but the sport is not perfect and events are not perfect. It's OK to talk about it when things aren't perfect. It doesn't mean we hate the sport. It doesn't mean we could do better. It doesn't mean anything other than we want the sport to continuously improve. I want the quality of the show to be better and better. If you don't look at what was suboptimal you'll never improve the show and/or grow the sport. Rose colored glasses don't help, and talking about the issue(s) doesn't hurt (it actually helps to discuss the shortcomings). If you can't understand that then I recommend that you skip the rest of this series or maybe find a new page because on this page I don't care if you own a tractor or not , if you work for an organization of not, if you put on a pull or not, if you run a scraper or not, if you run a sled or not... none of that matters you still get to share your opinion on how to help the sport or how to grow the sport.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2024 10:58PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 10, 2024 01:50PM
What's wrong with the Farm Show results? The four best tractors finished 1-2-3-4.....

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 10, 2024 02:17PM
As I said, the distances for the rest of the class were all at 214' or less. I didn't talk to anyone who thought it was a good show for that class. At least 2 of those tractors should have been in the sand. Maybe you liked it... to each his own, but it was a bad show for the class overall. It's not just about order of finish (I'm fine with the order) it's about the overall quality of the show the class put on. Those really short distances for the vast majority of the class hurt the show.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2024 02:23PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 10, 2024 02:57PM
The ship has already sailed for variety in this class. Not only do these tractors run the same sheet metal most of them run the same chassis and roll cages, and we all know they are running the same engines built by the same engine builder too. Someone has once told me, "build the model and make of tractor that YOU like and don't worry about what others think because it's YOU who has to commit your life to it." So with that being said I think these pullers are satisfied with what they have, even though it hurts the class. But by the sound of it it seems like you wish that today's version of lss was similar to the 1980s version, which I would agree. Back when lss had several different makes and models of tractors like ih 460s and 686s, utilizing both alcohol and diesel fuels.

But thankfully we have LLSS that's preserving the legacy of what the LSS has once offered. I am a strong believer that the LLSS class would put on a great show at NFMS and not only there but at gn pulls as well. It'd be great to have atleast one super stock class that doesn't require the pullers to be a millionaire to afford the tractor. And itd also be great to be able to build a tractor that can last a full season without destructing itself.

Everything you all want LSS to be LLSS already is. LLSS has a quite a bit less hp but maybe that's why LLSS is growing and LSS isn't

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 12, 2024 07:21AM
"If one or two of the top tractors had an early hook in that Saturday afternoon session this conversation would be less of a confrontation" Respectfully I disagree. Hook order didn't change the distances and it wouldn't have change the sled setting either. So how would anything be different? Actually I'm not exactly sure what you're implying so if I'm wrong please correct me but if you're talking about an early hook advantage... and if hook order is that big of a factor then the early tractors actually already benefitted from the early hook... If that theory is correct then the early tractors would have been even further back had they hooked later... that seems like an even worse outcome to me. Again, correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not exactly sure what your sentence meant.

"Vaughns setting worked out though the overall performance of the class was not what we have come to expect" Again, I disagree. the sled setting did NOT workout well from a spectator standpoint. When 2/3 of the class aren't past 214' but most still made decent runs... that's not exactly working great for the fans. As for Vaughn's sled setting for the rest of the week... I though he did an outstanding job. To me it was just clear that a pulloff was not an option under any circumstance (I don't need to know the reasons why and I'm sure there were legitimate reasons) but the fans were the ones who were shortchanged because of it.

Jake no class is going to look perfect 100 percent of the time, and I never said it looked great. If you ask that grumpy old man from New York that stood beside me during the class I was as mystified as he was until Josh dropped that 236ft pass and I saw the pieces of the puzzle come together. I was playing checkers and Vaughn was playing chess up all along. To clarify: What we saw was the best case scenario of what was a precarious situation. The hook order played 100 percent into how the class looked, but that's pulling, regardless of how the track may or may not have changed. I stand by my statement if we'd seen two of the top three hook at the top of the class, at least one tractor would have had to make three passes to win. I don't find that entertaining but I'm admittedly wired differently.

As for the hoods... Pretty much ANY hood can be made to breath just fine so I'm not really onboard with that theory. Guys have made a John Deere 4010 hood breath and there isn't much grill/mesh there to work with (far less than a 686/706/etc...). To me, that's part of the creativity of the sport I love. As for the size of a 686 hood (or 706 or 1206 or 1256, Optum, Maxxum, etc...) that ship has already sailed a while ago (whether we agree or disagree with it). Esdon ran a 460 that had a ton of fans even though it was bigger than a 1066. Size is not really a constrain anymore.
In the interest of no one suffer any further from our mutual ramblings.....Type....type...type....delete....delete....delete

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 10, 2024 05:15PM
I'd bet if ntpa wouldn't have banned the v8s in lss youde have variety,

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 11, 2024 11:31AM
patches
I'd bet if ntpa wouldn't have banned the v8s in lss youde have variety,

V8's don't belong in the LSS class IMO.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 11, 2024 03:00PM
Please explain why they don't belong? As long as the block came in a 2wd tractor and it's at 504, what's the difference? Everyone complained about the 903 in SS open, but I think multiple tractors have since proved the V8 is of no advantage.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 12, 2024 12:34PM
Massey Fan
Please explain why they don't belong? As long as the block came in a 2wd tractor and it's at 504, what's the difference? Everyone complained about the 903 in SS open, but I think multiple tractors have since proved the V8 is of no advantage.

As it has been argued ad nauseam here about class rules for just about every class, build within the class rules.

And there already a class for the v8's.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 12, 2024 02:09PM
Just summarizing a few already pointed out facts about the subject on this thread;
- until a few years ago the v-8’s that were factory in a few 2wd models were perfectly legal in lss
- the hss “big block” v-8 thing scared everyone into a knee jerk ban of above models
- the last several years have proven the v-8 was not really as big of an advantage as previously thought

To the ones who think the ban should remain, why is it ok to build a 1466 ih, but not a 1468 ih?

I, like several others, think it’s time to fix that.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 11, 2024 12:59AM
Hi Jake, just so you know your not alone on this one. Also my favorite class growing up. I was texting friends in different areas of the arena and we all agreed the LSS class sucked. Watching most go 200 ft is not a show when the fans are waiting for them to blast one or 2 into the sand pile or at least touch it. I knew they were holding back knowing Chizek and Spieglberg were back there yet but man it looks bad when the rest fall that far short.

I also agree the class is turning cookie cutter. Is there a way around it? Not really other than changing hoods which I agree would change the dynamic a bit. Since Chizek came out with there's everyone just went copy cat. I get run what works and wins but there's gotta be guys who can come up with a light weight hood that looks different than the MX. I am a Deere guy, would be nice to see more green but I know its a red class. At least give us some different looking red to look at. Too bad Lynn and Piessig dropped back to state level. Goes back to my comments in a earlier post, I had a friend along who was a 1st timer to a pull bigger than antiques. He was bored watching all the tractors that looked the same. He even asked me why the distances were so short in the LSS class.

Jake, thanks for all you do with the website. Is there aspects we get frustrated with yeah but you can't keep everyone happy. Without you we wouldn't have a place to talk. Can't wait for the next topic in this series. I believe it needs to be talked about if we ever expect things to get better or grow.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 11, 2024 02:37AM
If one or two of the top tractors had an early hook in that Saturday afternoon session this conversation would be less of a confrontation.

Of course, thats playing the what-if game.

Vaughns setting worked out though the overall performance of the class was not what we have come to expect. I'd dare say the decisions made kept a couole tractors from having to make thrree hooks...had the hook order been different. Chew on that scenario for a moment.

No other session has more time constraints than that afternoon session, with Pros having to come back later in the evening. Pulloffs are hard trying to stay on schedule, and no more apparent at the NFMS.

The plethora of MX hoods is form following function. The. tractors need enough airflow to feed the chargers adequately and that stylr hood/grille is a no brainer to use. A 686 would be cool but it would have to be cartoonishly large to allow the engines to breathe.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 11, 2024 01:24PM
Bryan Lively
No other session has more time constraints than that afternoon session, with Pros having to come back later in the evening. Pulloffs are hard trying to stay on schedule, and no more apparent at the NFMS.

Get rid of the diesel trucks and problem solved. They already short change the crowd a couple hooks because of the difficulty in moving them around.

Let’s see how many downvotes that gets… LOL.

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 11, 2024 02:36PM
To Thinkin,

The LLSS is great and I love it, I've made no secret about that... but that's not what I'm talking about right now. No I don't want the LSS to be the LLSS. The LLSS is it's own awesome thing. I want to stay on topic and stick to the LSS. But yeah, the LLSS has got some awesome things going for it.

That said, I disagree with your first two sentences. There's ton's of variety in the LSS class. There are also other engine builders who can win beside Josh and Terry.. There just wasn't variety at the Farm Show this year for one reason or another. Sadly many of the ones that were there had the exact same hoods. I just think it would be best for the class if a few of them considered a different look to their Chizek clones.

Now before anyone types it... yes, it's their money and they can do whatever they want with it, but it's my opinion and I can do with that whatever I want with my opinion too.

To patches,

I've always thought the V-8 ban was dumb. If it came in a TWD tractor it should be legal. A Cat, Perkins, or IH DT550 should all be allowed in the LSS class (they were forever until fairly recently). Build them to 505 and let them have fun... something tells me they won't dominate (they don't even dominate the Open Super anymore). I think it's funny, we allow trans-tractors (cross dressing) but we don't allow all OEM engine options... Stock OHC and stock 4-valve heads should also be allowed, as well as stock EFI. Let's at least allow some of the stock options in SuperSTOCK. Yeah, I know that seems crazy.

To Bryan,

"If one or two of the top tractors had an early hook in that Saturday afternoon session this conversation would be less of a confrontation" Respectfully I disagree. Hook order didn't change the distances and it wouldn't have change the sled setting either. So how would anything be different? Actually I'm not exactly sure what you're implying so if I'm wrong please correct me but if you're talking about an early hook advantage... and if hook order is that big of a factor then the early tractors actually already benefitted from the early hook... If that theory is correct then the early tractors would have been even further back had they hooked later... that seems like an even worse outcome to me. Again, correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not exactly sure what your sentence meant.

"Vaughns setting worked out though the overall performance of the class was not what we have come to expect" Again, I disagree. the sled setting did NOT workout well from a spectator standpoint. When 2/3 of the class aren't past 214' but most still made decent runs... that's not exactly working great for the fans. As for Vaughn's sled setting for the rest of the week... I though he did an outstanding job. To me it was just clear that a pulloff was not an option under any circumstance (I don't need to know the reasons why and I'm sure there were legitimate reasons) but the fans were the ones who were shortchanged because of it.

As for the hoods... Pretty much ANY hood can be made to breath just fine so I'm not really onboard with that theory. Guys have made a John Deere 4010 hood breath and there isn't much grill/mesh there to work with (far less than a 686/706/etc...). To me, that's part of the creativity of the sport I love. As for the size of a 686 hood (or 706 or 1206 or 1256, Optum, Maxxum, etc...) that ship has already sailed a while ago (whether we agree or disagree with it). Esdon ran a 460 that had a ton of fans even though it was bigger than a 1066. Size is not really a constrain anymore.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2024 11:50PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Things you don’t want to hear... (Part 1 - LSS) March 12, 2024 03:34PM
Wouldn't a real mf 1130 hood with a v8 Perkins stuffed under
A real 1655 hood with a cat bulging from under
And a real 686 hood with a dv550 bulging from under
All bubbled to fit plumbing,30.5s on,look so old school cool.
No crossdressers,no recast blocks,and more than likely the only oem blocks in the class.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520