Best engine put in an Oliver tractor? March 27, 2024 04:22AM
Whether from an Oliver 88 to a 2255, what in your opinion was the best engine Oliver put in one of their tractors?

Re: Best engine put in an Oliver tractor? March 27, 2024 04:53AM
Perkins,based on durability

Re: Best engine put in an Oliver tractor? March 27, 2024 06:44AM
Such a loaded question, and as Patches offered, if I were using one daily its an 1850 with the Perkins for me - I rode on the fender and eventually drove one many a day as a kid.

The Oliver platform is such a plug and play chassis you can go in any direction...and precisely why you see so many Cummins re-powers today.

Re: Best engine put in an Oliver tractor? March 27, 2024 12:02PM
cummins was put ln a couple later white models but a 354 perkins is as good as any cummins for durability and the Hercules was a good engine

Re: Best engine put in an Oliver tractor? March 27, 2024 01:42PM
The old 310 waukesha diesel was a very good engine too! As long as it wasn't molested. Those engines are very finicky if you don't have the sleeves set at the EXACT proper height from the deck, you will have head gasket issue if not. However if everything is right they will run forever. We had some of them on the farm that are still in operation from back in the mid 90s.

Re: Best engine put in an Oliver tractor? March 28, 2024 12:11AM
I have to agree on the Perkins in farm trim, we had one in 2-85 White and it just worked.

I have often wondered why Oliver/White didn't use the 3400 series Hercules in place of the Waukesha, I think that engine in a 1655 (and up with turbo) would make a heck of a nice, reliable farm tractor. Just fun to think about since White owned Hercules from 1967 to 1986 and I am kind of partial to the 3400. My best guess is that if it was ever considered, there would be a concern that Hercules could not produce enough to keep up with demand. Just speculation on my part.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,639, Posts: 229,705, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520