Pulling order April 01, 2024 03:29AM
I like what Billy Biers has to say about the typical pulling order.

I can never understand why the best classes are pulled in front of a half full grandstand. Makes absolutely no sense.

Re: Pulling order April 01, 2024 03:55AM
As they say you can't teach common sense. It has been talked about many times and still no change. Every once in a while they have ran Supers or Mods early but was generally because of track conditions and if they use the excuse of, it isn't how the sled operator wants it, I think you will find that isn't the case.

Re: Pulling order April 01, 2024 04:07AM
I'd think the paying fan wouldn't mind watching the big classes first,unl/pro/ssd.my dad's logic was always,that's how you hold the crowd,and my question is for what ?,they've already paid.its also how you keep em from coming back,by making them wait,they'll get bored and leave early..ain't to many of us left that will wait till 10pm to watch a specific class.i agree with beers too

Re: Pulling order April 01, 2024 06:36AM
I have posted this very same question before and if expect to get a logical answer then you are dreaming. I understand the thought process that they want to finish the show with your high HP classes, however in the real world that's not what happens. By the time the high HP classes have run you have already lost 60% of the fans. One solution would be to run the show faster, but that's not going to happen either.

Re: Pulling order April 01, 2024 07:08AM
Guys, there is a pretty simple answer to why the promotor wants to keep the crowd as long as possible...concessions! Most events don't have a lot of profit margin, so they try to keep the crowd by running the best classes last. you would d the same.

Re: Pulling order April 01, 2024 07:56AM
That sounds good, however the crowd does not stay that long. Watch any FB video and when the last few classes run the stands are almost empty
And I would hazard a guess that very few purchases are made at the concession stands when last classes run.

Re: Pulling order April 02, 2024 01:14AM
Also if the unl/pros were the 1st classes wouldn't people get there early,which makes more sense..I've been going to bg for 50 years,and at one time the crowd stayed,but since the ability to watch endlessly on media content and the country wide idea of not waiting on anything anymore the crowd sure has thinned down at later times.i stay till the last tractor has hooked,I'm on the southside,and looking at the north bleachers there can't be 100 people in the complete bleachers,from 0 to 450 feet.based on time I'd surely think it would make sense to run the big ones 1st,the fans will get there early,buy thier stuff and be happy.a win win for everyone.

facts April 02, 2024 01:23AM
Both Bowling Green and The Fort have ran Unlimiteds as the first class multiple times on the Saturday sessions.

Also, in the dirt late model world for both Lucas Oil and World of Outlaws, it is not uncommon to run the main event feature, then run the support class features after. They did that exact thing at the Lucas Oil race at Brownstown 2 weeks ago.

Re: Pulling order April 02, 2024 07:50AM
In all my years taking videos of brush pulls to NTPA/Outlaw/PPL pulls, I've noticed that anything longer than 3hrs is to long for a pull if you want to keep a crowd. This is of course outside of your large destination pulls (BG, Louisville, etc).

Your crowd is usually the largest about 15-20 minutes after the advertised start, and it will start dwindling about 2.5 ish hours after it starts. Promoters/Pulling Orgs that continuously have 4-6hr long pulls so they can sell beer/concessions are truly missing the whole point. The goal is to entertain your fans and make them want to come back the next year, and hopefully bring all their friends. That is how you sell more concessions..

---

Re: Pulling order April 01, 2024 08:29AM
You don’t go to a concert where the headliner opens the show. If we are talking George Strait he doesn’t open before the opening act. I think that is how pulling has operated unsuccessfully, these other classes would be your opening act with your headliners closing the show. I agree if you sped the show up that line of thinking may work. Unlike a concert pulling has a lot of families with young kids that aren’t going to stick around much past 10:00. I agree one of your more exciting classes needs to open the show. Imagine at BG opening the show with Unlimiteds on one side and Super Semi on the other.

Re: Pulling order April 01, 2024 11:26AM
Maybe this is dumb thinking, but why can’t they be mid-pack? They don’t have to be first or last. Shake it up! Maybe 2nd or 3rd in a 4/5 class pull?? First class not everyone is usually in the stands either.

Last class is a ghost town bc people need to go get to car, vet out int traffic, and drive home as well!

Re: Pulling order April 01, 2024 11:48AM
Great idea with your view of the beginning of the pull and the last classes.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Pulling order April 01, 2024 02:18PM
Dick, it was a little tongue in cheek but with a bit of realism in it. No one will be satisfied, but I do like the idea of 2nd or 3rd. I feel for the “headliners” as the best of the show tends to have the smallest crowd! Even at Bowling Green, the UNL class has stands 1/2 full, maybe 60%???

Re: Pulling order April 02, 2024 12:43AM
I wish at Bowling Green they'd put TWD trucks last so we didn't all have to sit through them. The stands would probably be 25% full if they did this.

But I'm with Billy Biers. The Unlimited Mods should start Saturday night in Bowling Green and have one firing up as the jets fly over.

There's also two tracks in Bowling Green so figure out a way to run the schedule so you've got one of the classes that draws a bigger crowd out there at the same time as a class that doesn't draw as much attention. If you did that method you could have heavy hitting classes at all hours of the night. Which to be fair the Saturday night in Bowling Green does really good at this already in my opinion. Plus that's probably the best session of pulling anywhere in the country aside from Saturday night at the NFMS. I'd give a slight edge to the NFMS because the pull is shorter and eliminates all the "thank for coming" hooks by tractors that nobody wants to see at the Super Bowl of Pulling.

Re: Pulling order April 02, 2024 12:52AM
Not sure about everywhere else but around me the crowds don't start to leave until there are only a few tractors/trucks left to beat the rush with the big classes last. There is one pull here that runs the big class mid show and as soon as it is done the crowd is gone. Quite a few years back there was an event here that had the PPL mod class. The track didn't hold together for them so they ran them first the second night and the crowd was gone midway through the show versus the night before when everyone stayed all night. Another pull that runs the Badger State/ppl stuff in the afternoon and a local club in the evening. As soon as the local club starts the stands are empty. Luckily they have a band playing so people head over there instead of leaving. It is the big stuff that keeps most fans as long as they do.

It's not just pulling or concerts it is also racing of any type local or the big stage. The smaller stuff runs before the bigger stuff. Also be careful with camera angles. I have watched where the stands looked packed but when they scan the other side by accident they are empty. It depends on the view they show sometimes.

I have talked to promoters around here and the ticket prices don't even come close to covering the expenses for the event. The concessions do. The longer the crowd stays the more beer, burgers, and other stuff they sell and make there profit.

Re: Pulling order April 02, 2024 01:28AM
Didn't make it through the video very far. Didn't want to hear the F-word four times a sentence for two hours.

Re: Pulling order April 02, 2024 02:43AM
In my past i was involved with a dragstrip, we found that if the show goes past 10PM, the crowd starts to leave. Only the diehards and family members stay to the end. Most people have jobs and families that require sleep for the next days events i.e. kids sports, church and jobs and other functions they have planned for the next day. Shows that run late will suffer the lack of spectators at the end of the event. I have seen this happen at many different events besides motorsports. If you want people to stay to the end, plan the event to end at 10PM. Don't have seven classes and one sled and think you be done before midnight.

Apples and oranges, but how long is a PBR show? April 02, 2024 03:43AM
I've seen several PBR shows on tv. It isn't motorsports, but just curious what time a PBR show starts and ends, and do they have other things going on between rounds?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,670, Posts: 229,762, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,938.

Our newest member JD_8520