How does pulling showcase the HP in each class? April 04, 2024 10:57AM
One of the problems that I see in pulling is how do we showcase the different levels of HP from class to class? With today's sleds almost all the classes can look about the same. In most other motorsports the different HP in each class is obvious.The speed down the track, the length of the track all are mostly identical. A mini going down the track vs an unlimited mod still go 320 feet or more. It's so hard to showcase the 12,000+ HP that the unlimited mods or PPL 4 engine make. In fact on some tracks it's nearly impossible to get that much HP hooked to the track. If the sled is setup that has a class of SF's go 330 and somehow the sled operator misses their setup and the next class of PS's goes 290 what does the fan think is going on? I realize that there is certainly a vast difference in sound and appearance, however with most hooded classes they can all start to look the same. Not sure if there really is a solution. Have hooded classes of 2000 HP or less go 290', the 3000 to 4000 classes go 310 and the 5000 HP classes go 330? Why should a 3000 HP mini go 330 feet and a 12,000+ HP mod go 330 also? Just food for thought.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: How does pulling showcase the HP in each class? April 04, 2024 11:07AM
More explanation of weight on the sled and pulling resistance and speed of the box , for each class would definitely help a newbie understand the differences in horsepower and traction, it could be done digitally on the sled very easily if they had the ambition to do it

Re: How does pulling showcase the HP in each class? April 04, 2024 11:17AM
Oughta be a speed board visible at every track..
If the world's largest pulls catchphrase for over 20 yrs has been race tractors,the dammit do it,don't talk about it !!
Even most gt clubs around me have a speed board

Re: How does pulling showcase the HP in each class? April 04, 2024 12:28PM
Well I think a program that would describe each class, the weight, the limits ect would be a great start. Doesnt need to be fancy like a stat paper you get when you go to a basketball or football game

Re: How does pulling showcase the HP in each class? April 04, 2024 01:53PM
Put a load cell on the Hook/Chain of the sled and measure the load it's seeing in pounds force. Show it on a big huge screen so everyone can see how different that number is for each class. You could even convert it to horsepower using speed. Do that and you'd really build your fan base.

Re: How does pulling showcase the HP in each class? April 05, 2024 07:59AM
MarkyMark
Put a load cell on the Hook/Chain of the sled and measure the load it's seeing in pounds force. Show it on a big huge screen so everyone can see how different that number is for each class. You could even convert it to horsepower using speed. Do that and you'd really build your fan base.

I really like that idea, print it on the huge screen as a graph, pulling force [kN] versus pulling distance [ft], in different line colors for different competitors, and everyone get an idea what's going on there. To take speed into the equation and even end up in power-at-chain [hp] versus pulling distance [ft] , is also a nice info to have a reference or get an idea about what's happening there.

Maybe it's even interesting for one or another puller to see how they are compared to others in terms of shifting momentum during the pull, etc.

Re: How does pulling showcase the HP in each class? April 07, 2024 01:52AM
Use the phone as our screen in the bleachers.
It would be nice to see data like being talked about in realtime,like results are posted.
Wouldn't a wifi antenna work ?.
Probably be against the betting site by providing info..
Also some kind of moisture detector would be great to watch along how tracks change.
What data could be displayed to make this actually fan engaging between hooks.
Class pan trip distance
Vehicle speed
Sled weight
Pushdown setting
Strain guage
Moisture content on a per hook basis
Pan temperature,this is huge !
The weather,temp,baro pressure,humidity,in real time
Weigh out weight and hitch height,I said weigh out !
Gotta be some more info I m sure

Re: How does pulling showcase the HP in each class? April 07, 2024 09:53AM
A local WIFI and the ability to broadcast; puller and lineup info, real time data (distance, speed, load, etc), shots from multiple cameras would all be cool and is very doable. However, it would mostly fall on the sled companies to make it happen. Right now, (for good reason) they are very much focused on safety and reliability. Involving anything electronic might be thought to get in the way of that. I think this is why we haven't seen this happening yet. Lets see, maybe someone can start experimenting and we'll see.

Re: How does pulling showcase the HP in each class? April 08, 2024 12:33AM
patches
Use the phone as our screen in the bleachers.
It would be nice to see data like being talked about in realtime,like results are posted.
Wouldn't a wifi antenna work ?.
Probably be against the betting site by providing info..
Also some kind of moisture detector would be great to watch along how tracks change.
What data could be displayed to make this actually fan engaging between hooks.
Class pan trip distance
Vehicle speed
Sled weight
Pushdown setting
Strain guage
Moisture content on a per hook basis
Pan temperature,this is huge !
The weather,temp,baro pressure,humidity,in real time
Weigh out weight and hitch height,I said weigh out !
Gotta be some more info I m sure

A "strain gauge" that transmit's real time data to a scoreboard and phones would be amazing. Couple thoughts come to mind there, wouldn't it be a huge advantage to the pullers who hook later in the class to have access to that before deciding where to spot sled and attempt to drive. a strain ratio to distance pulled would be fascinating to see how the track holds up as a class progresses, especially in classes where the HP spread is pretty tight.

Re: How does pulling showcase the HP in each class? April 09, 2024 12:42AM
I use an app on my phone and compared ig to my datalogger,it acts as a speedometer and tachometer.its surprisingly accurate to know competitors gear ratios they hooked in,very simple math that it does on its own.

Do we showcase the HP or show the difference in HP? April 04, 2024 11:38PM
If you follow the thread below about premiere classes going first (unlimited mods) I believe this subject directly correlates to that. If you have a Super Farm, Light Pro, and a 5.0 Pro all setting beside each other. To the untrained eye (every day fan) they couldn’t tell you the difference. So how do you spell out the difference? The only way to do that is on the track. I am in favor and you see this a lot on R2, multiple single charger diesel only classes in one night. Set the sled for your premiere class. For instance Richwood Ohio had classic supers and 5.0 pro’s last year. Well there is no way a classic super should pull as far as a 5.0 pro. As a fan this might be why you’re not holding your fan base. To many classes look the same. If everyone is going 28-30 mph down the track and everyone is going 320+ why would I stay to watch the same thing. It doesn’t allow the show to build to a premiere class of high HP excitement. If a 1000 horse classic super is going the same speed and distance as a 3000 hp light pro it’s just two classes blowing smoke and one has smaller tires. If that classic super only goes 270 and the light pros roll out and go 330, now you’ve visually shown the difference. Expecting announcers to understand the difference between an A pump, P Pump, Sigma and Billet plus all the variations of turbo restrictions and effectively communicate it to the fan who probably doesn’t care seems like a tough ask. Show the difference on the track

Re: How does pulling showcase the HP in each class? April 05, 2024 12:27AM
As you alluded, with today's sleds you really can't differentiate. The entities that could create a differentiation are the sanctioning bodies. GN/SN/Champions level events should only feature UNL, SS Tractor (Diesel or Open), TWD, Mini, and PRO tractors. ALL OTHER DIVISIONS should only be allowed to compete at lower level events. You want to compete nationally, build one of those 6 vehicles. 0.0% chance this ever happens, the sanctioning bodies are funded by the competitor fees not sponsorship dollars, the ship of building an elite level of pulling probably sailed 30 years ago. The sport is as big as it's gonna get.

Does pulling do a good job of embracing new technology? April 05, 2024 07:40AM
Lets face it, pulling has not done a great job of embracing new technology, it's basically the same show for the last 40 years. Younger fans want a more informative, sensory experience. I found some of the above posts to really hit on some ideas that would keep the fans more engaged and informed about what is going during the pull. Speed posted in real time, weight being pulled in every class, and announcers that inform the fans on the respective HP, cubic inches, and overall rules for the class on the track. There are several really great announcers that are extremely knowledgeable about every class at the national levels, and there are way to many that either don't know or don't understand the importance of letting the fans know what class they are watching. One of the ideas that I really like is the "load cell/ strain gauge" that will tell the fans exactly just how much weight each class is pulling. It's a great way to differentiate a Lt. Mod from a Unlimited Mod, LSS from a 650 SS, etc.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2024 07:41AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Does pulling do a good job of embracing new technology? April 05, 2024 11:24AM
My son was part of a team that built a quarter scale tractor in college for an international competition sponsored by ASABE.At that time you could as many 16 hp Vangard engines as you could fit on a 950 lb. vehicle without the driver, they figured out how to put 6 on it. Part of the competition is a pulling contest. They had their own sled they could practice and tune with, and they had a strain gauge in the chain on it. They really dialed their tractor in as far as cut on the tires, speed, and weight distribution.
I think that this would be a cool addition, would really show the difference between the classes.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,680, Posts: 229,782, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason