Legal tractor engines to add to Jake's list September 28, 2009 10:06PM
There is two rather interesting engines to add to your list:

M A N D2566 (as already used in the Hurricane ULSS)
6 cyl inline, 698 cui, came in the Fendt 626 (non articulated!),

Very common semi and coach engine - had 320 hp "off the shelf" but reduced in power a bit for the use in the tractor.
Link to the engine
[www.deutsches-museum.de]
Link to MAN
[www.mn.man.de]

Then the CAT C9 which comes in the Claas Xerion (built 250 of them just this year and not articulated but 4 wheel steering).

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 10:08PM by Sascha.

Re: Updated engine block and hood list September 29, 2009 01:14AM
Sascha,

Thanks for the info, I updated the list to include the combinations you mentioned.

I also simplified the list it to make it easier for everyone to read. The list is straightforward and it's very similar to the rules we’ve had for years, but it allows people the ability to move backwards with the sheetmetal for their given brand.

I honestly believe this list is actually what a vast majority of people favor (the poll shows this to be the case). I also believe there are many who don’t think people will cross breed or that don’t quite understand what that actually means. First, it will happen, and second, it means a Ford hood on a John Deere tractor, it means a John Deere hood on an IH, etc… It will happen, and it will hurt the classes that allow it.

What I also did was spell out what I think should be a legal engine. The NTPA used the term “legal block” but I haven’t seen where they specified what exactly that phrase constitutes. They haven’t defined a “legal block” in a clear and concise way. As the NTPA stands right now, any “legal block” on the GN circuit is any Ag block in the DSS, LSS and OSS classes. It’s somewhat undefined in the other tractor classes.

Here’s my simplified and revised list:
1. AC block (including: AC, Detroit 40 Series, Navistar, etc...) any AC, Deutz Allis, AGCO-Allis, or AGCO hood
2. Case block any Case or CaseIH hood
3. Cockshutt block (including: Cat, Hercules, Continental, etc...) any Cockshutt, White or Agco-White hood
4. Deere block any Deere hood
5. Deutz block any Deutz, Deutz Allis, Deutz Fahr, or AGCO hood
6. Fendt block (including: Deutz, Man, etc...) any Fendt hood
7. Fiat block any Heston hood
8. Ford block any Ford or New Holland hood
9. IH (including: Farmall, Hypermax, etc...) any IH or CaseIH hood
10. Massey block (including: Perkins, Continental Sisu, etc...) any Massey hood
11. Minneapolis Moline block any MM, White or AGCO-White hood
12. Oliver block (including Cat, Hercules, Waukesha, etc...) any Oliver, White or Agco-White hood
13. Valtra block (including Sisu) any Valtra hood
14. White block (including Cat) any White, AGCO-White, Oliver, MM, or Cockshutt hood
Special Engines (these are included in the list above, but they are clarifications to avoid confusion)
1. 456 Genesis block any NH, Ford, IH or CaseIH hood
2. 5.9L/6.7L Cummins block any AGCO-series (including Oliver, MM, AC, etc...), any CaseIH-series (including: Case, IH, Farmall, etc...), any McCormick hood, any Landini hood
3. 8.3L Cummins block any AGCO-series (including Oliver, MM, AC, etc...), any CaseIH-series (including: Case, IH, Farmall, etc...), any NH-series hood (including Ford)

Owner must satisfy any one of the following requirements for the block to be deemed legal in any of the tractor divisions:
  1. Owner must be able to prove the block was used in a commercially available tractor (owner must provide specific make and model of that tractor).... or

2. Owner must be able to prove that the block is a licensed OEM replacement for a tractor (i.e. IH running a OEM approved Hypermax block)... or

3. Owner must be able to prove that the block will accept an unmodified stock crank from a tractor of the same manufacturer as the original block for that brand (i.e. using the 474 Ford block inplace of the 401 Ford block in a Ford or NH hooded tractor)

If any of the above are satisfied the block will be deemed legal for that brand, and the hood combination can be chosen from the above table.

This will allow everyone to move forward or backwards with their hoods. It will allow for some very extreme variety without crossing brand lines, and without crossing heritage brand lines... meaning you cannot put an AC 426 under an Oliver hood, even though they are both now owned by AGCO.

If anyone else has engines or brands that should be added please let me know and I'll update the list and include them.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 01:15AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Updated engine block and hood list September 29, 2009 06:53AM
The Sisu engine comes with the MF hood these days and the Fiat Block was used in Fiat Tractors (sold as Hesston in the US) and New Holland (painted brown). So actually that 8.2 Liter Fiat would fly with any New Holland hood, too.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Updated engine block and hood list September 30, 2009 11:49AM
there was a 9.6L 584ci deutz engine that was used in agco aliis tractors.... and the 8.3 cummins was also used in a 9240 massey ferguson

Re: Updated engine block and hood list September 30, 2009 11:06PM
Correct, it came in the Deutz Allis, the Deutz DX 8.71 and DX 240 as well as in the big torpedo. The engines are rather rare over here though... seems there is more of them in the US than in Europe.
Also already in use in Shagnasty and Lustiks 2nd tractor.

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 02, 2009 09:41AM
Thanks for the inquiry:

Under my proposed plan - since it was in an AGCO Allis tractor and it satisfies one of the provisions listed below it would fall under my AC/Agco Allis block section. Any of the matching heritage line hoods would be acceptable.

Provisions
Owner must satisfy any one of the following requirements for the block to be deemed legal in any of the tractor divisions:
  1. Owner must be able to prove the block was used in a commercially available tractor (owner must provide specific make and model of that tractor).... or

2. Owner must be able to prove that the block is a licensed OEM replacement for a tractor (i.e. IH running a OEM approved Hypermax block)... or

3. Owner must be able to prove that the block will accept an unmodified stock crank from a tractor of the same manufacturer as the original block for that brand (i.e. using the 474 Ford block inplace of the 401 Ford block in a Ford or NH hooded tractor)

If any of the above are satisfied the block will be deemed legal for that brand, and the hood combination can be chosen from the above table.
Here’s my simplified and revised list:
1. AC/Agco Allis block (including: AC, Detroit 40 Series, Navistar, etc...) any AC, Deutz Allis, AGCO-Allis, or AGCO hood
2. Case block any Case or CaseIH hood
3. Cockshutt block (including: Cat, Hercules, Continental, etc...) any Cockshutt, White or Agco-White hood
4. Deere block any Deere hood
5. Deutz block any Deutz, Deutz Allis, Deutz Fahr, or AGCO hood
6. Fendt block (including: Deutz, Man, etc...) any Fendt hood
7. Fiat block any Heston hood
8. Ford block any Ford or New Holland hood
9. IH (including: Farmall, Hypermax, etc...) any IH or CaseIH hood
10. Massey block (including: Perkins, Continental Sisu, etc...) any Massey hood
11. Minneapolis Moline block any MM, White or AGCO-White hood
12. Oliver block (including Cat, Hercules, Waukesha, etc...) any Oliver, White or Agco-White hood
13. Valtra block (including Sisu) any Valtra hood
14. White/Agco White block (including Cat) any White, AGCO-White, Oliver, MM, or Cockshutt hood
Special Engines (these are included in the list above, but they are clarifications to avoid confusion)
1. 456 Genesis block any NH, Ford, IH or CaseIH hood
2. 5.9L/6.7L Cummins block any AGCO-series (including Oliver, MM, AC, etc...), any CaseIH-series (including: Case, IH, Farmall, etc...), any McCormick hood, any Landini hood
3. 8.3L Cummins block any AGCO-series (including Oliver, MM, AC, etc...), any CaseIH-series (including: Case, IH, Farmall, etc...), any NH-series hood (including Ford)

Again, if anyone has any other engines that I failed to mention, please feel free to email me or post them here on the page.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2009 09:42AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 02, 2009 11:44PM
Mr. Morgan

Thank you for the fine chart and the perfect illustration as to why the rule change. Now take your chart and make up the the vast number of combinations that are possible and you will be a NUT also.

Because when you start it will all get lost, as some blocks are good to work with and some are not. I still believe, that yes there will be odd ducks out there, but pullers choose what they want to build upon and will work to stay true to the line they are building. I predict you will see more of the off brand colors taking advanatage of the rule. John Deere and Case/IH, IH or whatever they are today have a motor that has been proven to be competitive.

Before the rule change and you take your list you have above and you work to stay true to the OEM block, a large number of the pullers were not running what matched. I will agree in an effort to stay some what close a clarification could be made to the rule to try and stay some what reasonable, so that you do not get a John Deere motor in an Oliver Tractor or a Case/IH motor in a John Deere.

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 03, 2009 08:13AM
5.9 litre fiat, 8.1 litre fiat, and 6.0 litre dorsett can also go in any New Holland hood and the 6.7 eea engine (cummins) and the sisu 7.4 litre can go with Case ih and New Holland. Next gen Genesis and magnum will have 9 litre iveco cursor 9 if the rumours are true due out in fall off 2010.

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 03, 2009 08:14PM
Yes there is a 9 liter in Iveco trucks already....new....we havent seen it yet in europa...but there are also a 8, 10.3 and a12.88....used in stx
if i am correct.
Also build in a lot of harvesting machinery from CNH.
Is it allowed to use? As far as i know it dit not come out in a normal wheeltractor yet....The Cursor is a very strong engine block with a lot of potential.
Girdle engine, overhead cam and 4 valves...

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 04, 2009 03:54AM
4-Valve in a Magnum... hmm. Shows where the NTPA rulebook is way behind reality....

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 04, 2009 04:28AM
Sascha,

I agree with you completely on that, NTPA's outlook definatley needs updating. Personally, I’d really like to see the rules in some classes (Super Stock - all versions and Pro Stock in particular) allow 4-valve heads and Overhead Cam heads if the stock factory head for that make and model is used. Leave the billet heads at 2 valves, but allow the current OEM OHC 4-valve heads to be used.

I love to see a LSS class with OEM heads, OEM blocks, and matching sheetmetal.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 04, 2009 08:37AM
I would find it REAL comedy, if you were not allowed to use the STOCK OEM engine and head in Tractor Pulling competition in classes that carry the name "stock".
To quote a saying from ten years ago "those who come too late are punished by the life" - and as reality showed, end up in the trash bin of history.

We reduced the cubes for those 4 Valve engines in Pro Stock. On the other hand we don't allow aftermarket or billet heads in Pro Stock...
Leaving the cubes alone and allow aftermarket 2 Valve against OEM 4 Valve was in the discussion though, too. But common sense said, new engines are going to be smaller anyways, so leave them where they are.
The 4 valve Fendt engines are what? 300 horse out of 435 cui?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2009 08:42AM by Sascha.

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 04, 2009 10:26AM
That class you are talking about was real popular about 30 years ago, it was the 5SS. Times they are a changing

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 04, 2009 01:16PM
Do you really think a 500 cubic inch class with an OEM block and an OEM 4-valve Overhead Cam head would be “nutless”? Are you serious? I’m guessing your not… your just looking to argue, bash, and cause trouble. Sorry, but the times are indeed changing, and pulling isn’t changing with those times, and the changes the NTPA is making aren't helping.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 04, 2009 02:18PM
This is what is serious. 505 ci., billet aluminum head with 2 valves, flow 600 to 625 cfm. 3 4.25 chargers and 1,000 lbs of moveable weight at 6200 lbs. That is serious and that is not making trouble, that is working to make trouble for others. Oh unlest I forget the sheet metal does not match and to the competitor is does not matter. What matters is it is 505 and is at the right weight when hooking to the sled.

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 07, 2009 04:02AM
For Jake:First off you can run a stock 4 valve head in the SS class on a diesel. I have flowed a few. They are not to bad, but still do not flow as much as a good 2 valve billet head. Also they are not to heavily built, and are not made to use a inline injector pump. Most use a Common Rail setup. So the rule is already there.

Secondly 600 to 625 cfm on a 505 pushrod motor, keep dreaming!

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 07, 2009 06:49AM
Mr. Head Porter

That is not a dream or a quote from a dream, but a fact. With a little time you will have a sneak preview of that very fact in the near future.

Re: Updated engine block and hood list October 06, 2009 10:25AM
"Technically" I can meet #3 by making my own billet BBJD with 4-bolt mains, etc so long as it swings the original 531 or 619 crank...

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,678, Posts: 229,780, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason