brake troubles September 29, 2009 03:32AM
putting stock car style brake system on 4020 rear using internial brakes, can i use brake fluid or will it swell the o rings. or is there an easry way to do this and still use orginial brake system

Re: brake troubles September 29, 2009 07:33AM
Do yourself a favour and spend a few more $$ and put outboard brakes on now. Been there done that. The problem would be yes, the o-rings are going to swell, and you will have more brake drag than you imagine even under ideal conditions. We switched this year and I can't believe the difference! Could not push around the shop before, and now one person pushes it. Imagine the hp being robbed under that situation.

I would also HIGHLY recomend needling your diff if you haven't yet, another cost but is worth it. You will only have the cross pin fall out once or have it weld together as a locker once before you become angry. If the pin happened only to come part way out, you are going to be replacing the whole case likely. Remember stepping on the brake doubles speed to the spider gears, and if you are near twice stock rpm..............I think you get the idea. The friction causes much trouble.

Just my $.02 to save you some grief.

Re: brake troubles September 29, 2009 08:29AM
Where is the best place to get outboard brakes at?

Re: brake troubles September 29, 2009 09:37AM
just getting started need to cut some corners just thinking of stuff that can be added on in a year or two

Re: brake troubles September 29, 2009 02:37PM
Call Dean Stumme @ Marv and Zip's Tractor Repair in New Hampton, Iowa.
He has system to use stock brake masters and electric/hydraulic pump and an accumulator to make stock internal brakes work.
Needle diff. no matter what. Steal kids piggy bank, pick up pop cans, whatever it takes!

Re: brake troubles September 29, 2009 11:49PM
i use a brake valve from a 2840 on my 6030 it is self contained and uses hydraulic oil works great

Re: brake troubles September 30, 2009 12:23AM
We made our own hats and discs, but the calipers came from Engler. They are not cheap, but trust me, they work great and I couldn't find anything else to provide that clamping force. You can buy hats and discs from Engler, or there are several other builders that sell them as well. Check out 'Builders' under the 'Links' section of this site.

As for the OE masters with hydraulic fluid, that will likely work alright with the o-rings, but you will still have some brake drag I think. Would get you by until you have the extra $$$. Like the last post, get that rear end needled!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2009 12:26AM by FarmersFun.

Re: brake troubles September 30, 2009 01:08AM
Use Viton O-Rings that can be puchased from a local industrial supply store. take your old ones down there and they will match them up for you
Use the paper washers from John Deere like you would with the stock orings and put them together making sure not to push the pistons in all the way because the manual master cylinders do not have enough volume to overcome the roll of the O-ring so preset the position of the piston when you go together
We are using this system with Wilwood master cylinders on two tractors and it work s great

Good luck

Re: brake troubles September 30, 2009 08:27AM
What did you wind up making the top hats out of looked all over and cant find what i want to use

Re: brake troubles September 30, 2009 11:25AM
I cut them out of sheet metal and roll it round on a sheet metal roller. I cut the ends on a cnc plasma cutter. put it all in a lathe true them up and weld ,then true it all up again. the rotors are cut on a cnc plasma cutter also . both can be made from aluminum or steel [silvercreekanimalhospital.com]

Re: brake troubles October 01, 2009 12:33AM
Newbee--I have a needled cross pin/spider gear setup for a 4020 rear gear carrier you can install in your carrier. I will sell it for $200.00. Call me at 616-293-7770 if interested. Arlyn

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,954, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,037.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009