Re: compact diesel pulling October 04, 2009 05:07PM
Hello,

What do you guys do to turn a VW diesel to 9500 rpm? I am amazed that a injection pump can keep up at that rpm and the fuel has enough time to burn in the chambers and push the pistons down. Not to mention keep the rods and bearings in it.

Does everyone in compact diesel across the big pond run VW engines?

Tom

Re: compact diesel pulling October 04, 2009 09:06PM
I can't answer your first question as I am not a diesel man, but I can get you some contacts over here and the Vos gang knows the answers, too.
As for engines, most are VWs (the TDIs are easy to get) but there is also a few Peugots and Fords.

Here's the qualification runs of the EC two weeks ago:

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: compact diesel pulling October 05, 2009 05:34AM
It's not that easy to build the A pump for that RPM that we drive we change the most off the stuff inside, we made springs that are twice as heavy than the original ones and make the elements lighter and use the cam from another type of pump
the engine is easy running that rpm, we hardend the original connection rods and made stronger bolts in them, we changed the original pistons, we drive with original bearings and crank
when we go over 10000 rpm it wil brake in pieces, but 9500 during the run with traction is no problem, we hope next season go to 10000 whitout braking parts
many greetings Team Vos
www.brotherstoy.nl

Re: compact diesel pulling October 05, 2009 05:36AM
Put some weight in the box. Make them work. Their engines were not even loaded.

Re: compact diesel pulling October 05, 2009 10:21AM
Yea, they need more weight or a BIGGER sled...

Re: compact diesel pulling October 05, 2009 10:26AM
They need a BIGGER sled or MORE weight,They were still cooking even after box topped off.

Re: compact diesel pulling October 05, 2009 10:59AM
How much can you get out of a 1.9 VW with a stock shortblock by adding a turbo? Can the factory pump be turned up much or is it a computer controled deal? Are they all direct injection or just the newest ones?

In our garden tractor club we can run a diesel in our big outlaw class but we have to use 26x12x12 tires. Maybe some day I might want to try and build one with a diesel.

Tom

Re: compact diesel pulling October 05, 2009 02:08PM
I just put a turbo on my JD 330, I plan on pulling it a bit, but not too sure how the trans/ rear is gunna hold up, not too sure what to swap in either? I think maybe some day I might sitch to a VW engine I am using the Yanmar right now, well see how that holds up as well, gotta start somewhere I guess

Re: compact diesel pulling October 08, 2009 07:21AM
I didn't set the sled ( I was not even around), but check the pull off video a little further down in Jouk's post...

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: compact diesel pulling October 06, 2009 02:48AM
looks like that would be fun as h^*&

Re: compact diesel pulling October 06, 2009 05:03AM

Movie of the Finale from the EC on Kampereiland
You are right the first round the sled was to aesy to pull, maybe because there's a little differends in HP in the class
and I think the fastest way to run a complete class, the first pull let them go and in the Final kill them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2009 07:19AM by Sascha.

Re: compact diesel pulling October 08, 2009 07:24AM
That is when you run two attemps, which is kinda unknown practice in the US...

Re: compact diesel pulling October 08, 2009 06:49PM
Hello, It looks to me like allot of them run way to light on the front. Do they weight them like that on purpose or don't they have much for weights to move around?

I would have a ton of padding on the roll cage after watching some of the wild rides I watched. I am guessing the wheelie bars hitting the ground and unloading the tires cause them to bounce up and down so bad? Or is just the nature of the beast?

Tom

Re: compact diesel pulling October 08, 2009 08:58PM
When they (whoever that was) designed the rules, they made the tractors WAY too short for the power they produce.
I know in the German competition they have already lowered the hitch for all to calm them down, not sure if that has been the case all over Europe yet, too.

Re: compact diesel pulling. Hey Jouk!! October 09, 2009 01:59AM
Hey Jouk

Anyone over there run 3 cylinders? Class starting over here in the states has to be 3 cylinder, 75 cubic inch max. What kind of duration you have to run to get 9500 rpm??? What size turbos do you run??

Re: compact diesel pulling. Hey Jouk!! October 09, 2009 03:00AM
you know VW built a direct injected 3 cyl TDI with 1.2 litres?!

The success with Yanmar and @#$%& here was VERY limited and basically stopped before it even started...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2009 03:01AM by Sascha.

Re: compact diesel pulling. Hey Jouk!! October 10, 2009 11:57PM
We are not allowed to run 3 cilinder engines, our rules say 4 cilinder, 8 valves max 2.5 liter, 600 kg weight, turbo free, pump free,
our turbo is Holset HX 40 on our 1.9 VW engine, with water injection and air/water intercooler

Re: compact diesel pulling. Hey Jouk!! October 11, 2009 03:34PM
My question is

how long untill we can get a class running and if there already are classes running where are they?

Re: compact diesel pulling. Hey Jouk!! October 14, 2009 09:04AM
What kinda of horsepower do these things make?

Re: compact diesel pulling October 12, 2009 04:40AM
this ad was posted today:

´the next generation- Team`

We sale our compactdiesel!

Rover 2,0 Tdi, Boschpump (Lindemann), Dick Cepec tyres and Weldracing alu rims, GM rear axle, very successful in Germany, Runner up in points 2009, many first places in Germany

Ready to run

Ask for more pictures

philip.godenschwager@freenet.de

Re: compact diesel pulling October 13, 2009 01:17PM
Sascha,
Change the subject. How much do you know about the "Red Fox" McCormick pulling tractor?
I am a dealer in the US and building a McCormick over a Case puller.
Kevin

Re: compact diesel pulling October 14, 2009 03:58AM
It's a 1066 IHC with a McCormick hood....
Originally built by Rob Uphill and used to be called "the Huntsman". Pretty much a Hypermax machine.
Owned by the Agro Group (http://www.mccormick-intl.com), operated by a diesel shop and runs in the Italian Championships, where it doesn't have much of a real competition.
Also check [www.mccormick-intl.com] for some pictures of their pulling involvment. They are the main sponsor of the Italian pulling series.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009