Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 05, 2009 04:31AM
What tractor would you build to follow these rules:

Hot Farm Tractor
1. Tractor weight class will be 9000 lbs.

2. Tractors must be 2wd agricultural tractors. Can run any sheet metal, but it must not cross

manufacturers lines. Engine block and head must be of original manufacture and bolt into

the chassis with no adaptor plate (besides OEM) between the engine and bell housing.

Tractor ID determined by transmission and chassis, not sheet metal or decals. Tractors

must have a minimum of 36 inch wide front ends with front wheels tracking within rear

wheels.

3. Chassis components may be OEM or fabricated frame, but must have factory rear end.

You may build your own front axle assembly utilizing stock wheelbase. (must be safe and

sturdy)

4. Engine cubic inch limit for turbo charged tractors is 466 cid. Cubic inch limit for naturally

aspirated engines is 800 cid.

5. Fuel - Stock fuel for make and model of tractor no compressed air, nitrous

oxide or fuel conversions, no propane, or nitro methane allowed on diesels

with exception of starting aid. Water injection allowed. No alcohol,

alcohol based substance, additive and or formula containing alcohol of any

kind or manner may be used or allowed in water injection

6. Diesel tractors - Bosch P series pump allowed. 13mm plunger diameter maximum. Only one plunger per cylinder allowed. Mechanical injection only. Electric fuel pumps are allowed to supply injection pump. No OEM or aftermarket intercoolers or “ice boxes” allowed.

7. Turbocharger will be the Garrett GT42 with the following part numbers.

712402.5007 CHRA Std.

757708.0001 Intake Compressor Cover

757707.0001 Exhaust Turbine Housing 1.01

757707.0002 Exhaust Turbine Housing 1.15

757707.0003 Exhaust Turbine Housing1 .28

757707.0004 Exhaust Turbine Housing 1.44

Note: Alteration for turbo mounting allowed.

Turbos under a fiberglass or plastic hood must be shrouded 360 degrees by 1/8 steel.

8. OEM stock type intake and exhaust manifold for that series engine must be used,

no manifold spacers allowed.

9. Exhaust must discharge vertically above highest point of the tractor with

exception of roll bars. Must be securely attached. Exhaust must be at least 18”

above the hood. No curved pipes or rain caps allowed. Exhaust must be cross-

bolted with 2 grade 5 bolts within 1” of each other to stop turbo parts from flying

out.

RPM Limit- Max rpm for any tractor is 4000.

Air and fuel cutoff required. Must be operated manually by the operator from the seat and from the sled. A dead man throttle is required with double springs.

An approved 4.2 scatter blanket is required around bell housings. It must cover 360 degrees around the flywheel housing. Overlap goes to the bottom.

All engine fans must be shrouded with 1/16” steel or thicker, 360 degrees around, or utilize factory shield.

Shifting is allowed. This includes TA’s, power shifts, quad range or any other factory equipped transmission.

Maximum tire size for rear to be 18.4-38, 18.4-42, 20.8-38 or 24.5-32 on any width rim. No dual rear wheels. Radial tires are allowed. Any cut allowed on tires.

Tractors must have working rear brakes.

Roll cages or factory rollover protection is required.

Ladder bars able to support the weight of tractor when split are mandatory. Must span transmission and clutch.

Front weight bracket may not extend any further than 13ft from the center of the rear axle to the furthest point forward. Rear weight bracket may not extend beyond outside of rear tires.

Engine side shields are required. They can be constructed of aluminum or steel and must be a minimum thickness of 0.060”. The shielding must extend from the top of the cylinder head casting down to the crankshaft centerline. They must be easy to remove in case of fire.

All tractors must run SFI balancer or shield balancer.

All tractors must have steel flywheel and pressure plate. No cast iron.

I am partial to other colors than Red or Green, but I am interested in all opinions. I just like to have something different that the same Deere's and IH's.

Thanks for the Info!!

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 05, 2009 07:15AM
Turboed tractors will dominate with that big of a charger. Probaly IH or JD and should say SFI clutch and components

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 06, 2009 12:06AM
What tractor would you build? What combination would it take to be competitive? Thanks for the response!

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 05, 2009 09:57AM
Is this a Texas class,TTTPA?

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 06, 2009 12:09AM
These rules are from there website. I was just curious what it would take to be competitve in this class. The turbo is large and the cubic inches are kind of small. I am an MM fan, but they kind of leave out the MM engines with 466ci. What Oliver or White would be competitve?

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 06, 2009 02:22AM
There are some Gray areas in thier rules.. it will be interesting to see if they change anything for the '10 rules.. (I know they are supposed to stay the same for 3 yrs..) I'm guessing the wheel base is going to be moved..???

Also remember you can Decube.. so if you are looking at White/Oliver line, you could start with a 8.3 Cummins.. and narrow it down a little..
I'd like to see a D21 in that class.. start with a 426, and small stroke..
There is someone working on a Case.. but other than that.. its going to turn into the Red Green show.. (hope to be there someday..)

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 06, 2009 03:40AM
You can run gas or Lp in this class also, I have thought about destroking a 504 and run on gas just to be different. You can use a 4233 or 4232 head. Also have thought about a hecules in a Oliver. We are working on the Case right now that is in question.

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 06, 2009 04:46AM
Sounds like it's more than a "hot" farm class.

Where I come from Hot Farm tractors, normally go back in the field to work after you're done playing.Grinning

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 06, 2009 05:46AM
Well.. I think that is how the class started.. but it didn't take it long to get out of controll... for a hot farm class anyways.. I hope that in the future this class will grow to something bigger, and then have a true hot farm class... (but for now I'm just on the outside looking in..)

For the guys building the Case.. I can't wait to see more tractors out next year... I think I talked to you at Lindsay.. I was the one with the JD G (2 cylinder..)

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 06, 2009 01:48PM
That`s a nice G, We`e gonna do it again next year,see you there. My email is dougvoth@hotmail.com .

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 09, 2009 02:30AM
A 456 genisis block would work well in this class. With that size turbo and pump you could get a lot of air moving. If you are going to run 4000 rpm why not just do open rpms you already have the safety equipment.

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 09, 2009 02:40AM
You should contact Mike Otto in MO if you're serious about the gasser. He ran a moline on gas for several years... He's had some stuff for sale recently so his contact info should be there.

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 09, 2009 08:39AM
With the 4000 (or so..) rpm limit with the GT42.... would you be competitive on gas??

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 09, 2009 04:09PM
I called and they said race gas is ok to run, so you could run a high compression ratio,which would be helpful. I would also water inject it.

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 10, 2009 01:59PM
Yes.. but its back to not very clear on the rules.. there's no specs on the fuel.. I know what they are trying to stay away from.. but there nothing in the rules.. I still think this class needs to grow a little.. and then a lower class started.. (back to where this one was supposed to be.. a hot farm class.. )
Next yr will be interesting.. I hope more people get their tractors finished.. and we start to see the numbers grow.. I'm all John Deere.. but I'd like to see some color in this class...

Re: Best Hot Farm tractor for these rules October 12, 2009 07:05AM
I agree I would like to see a true hot farm class as well. I also think with the rules they have the cubes should be more like 540ci. That would open this class up a little. It looks like it will be this way for the next three years, since they just changed from 480 down to 466 this past year.

What would you Build October 12, 2009 07:02AM
I was curious of what tractor ya'll would build for this class?

What make of tractor?

What engine, small motor made bigger, large motor made smaller?

What do you think it would take to dominate? There is a 4240 that is very hot, the rest are good but beatable with out a whole lot.

How much money would it take?

Thanks for all the response so far.

Re: What would you Build October 12, 2009 08:43AM
I think we'll see that current tractors in that class step up.. they guys with the Under Construction tractor.. had a learning curve on the tractor... they'll have the bugs worked out of it for next year.. And I think the CaseIH that made the last pull.. just needs a few things changed, and he'll be be running hard.. (I have a feeling he knows how to make the tractor run.. )

Normally I would say in a limited RPM class that a longer stroked would be better.. ( narrow down a bigger cubed engine.).. but its starting to get past the point of limited rpms... )

Again.. I'd like to see some orange in the class... or something with a decubed 8.3 Cummins in it.. (which could be a range of colors..) but its ging to be hard to get past the fact that the parts are a little easier to get for the red and green.
A 540 class would be nice too...

Re: What would you Build October 12, 2009 12:19PM
I would like to know what is so out of control about the HotFarm class. I agree the 4000rpm limit is not typical in this class but far from out of control. I have many contacts in Missouri and New York and 466cubes is very common. I understand this does not suit everyone but when does a set of rules please everyone, good luck. I hope that one day when there are adequate tractors in the class, we can start a new class with bigger cubes and more air but for now we are trying to let everyone get built and pulling. As for the rpm limit I would then recommend going back to 3000 limited for HotFarm and possibly make the new class unlimited, depending on the opinions of the other HotFarm pullers at that time. Thanks.

i

fF

Re: What would you Build October 12, 2009 03:36PM
I guess I did say out of control.. That's probably not the right words... It Just grew quickly from where it was orginally talked about going.. I'm not saying theres anything wrong with it.. the hotter the tractors, the better the show will be.. and the more fans it will bring... but on the other hand.. the longer it will take to bring in new tractors.. But no sense in starting a new class, when there's only 3-4 tractors in the class. I think the current class will grow.. can't wait to see what next year brings.. (I'll still be sitting on the side lines for now.. )

Re: What would you Build October 12, 2009 12:29PM
How do decube an engine? Sorry just not to bright

Re: What would you Build October 12, 2009 03:40PM
Either destroke the crank.. smaller journals.. or weld the short side of the crank and turn it back down.. (or a new or billet crank.)
Or go thicker sleeves.. (smaller bore.)

Re: What would you Build October 13, 2009 03:38PM
The reason I asked about that is I think longer stroke is a good thing in lower RPM situations. So i didn't know if that included smaller bore. You can buy thicker sleeves? Where???

Re: What would you Build October 13, 2009 04:00PM
[www.dartonsleeves.com]

or riverside engines.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,643, Posts: 229,709, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520