PPL SHEET METAL October 07, 2009 03:41AM
IS PPL GOING TO RUN NTPA RULE ON SHEET METAL?
I WOULD THINK SO

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 08, 2009 12:11AM
I hope not. PPL doesn't do eveything as NTPA does.

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 08, 2009 03:32PM
I hope that PPL will listen to the pullers and NOT make up the most ridiculous rule ever made! ntpa has taken the integrity of those classes and flushed them down the drain. I hope that their new rule book is doubble quilted!!

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 09, 2009 12:02AM
I have supported the NTPA over PPL over the years, but if they keep the rules as they are and add a Lite Super classes PPL will have gained a fan.

The NTPA rule is the worst!

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 09, 2009 07:30AM
Agreed, I really wish PPL would add a Light Super Stock class to their lineup. Adopt the same rules as the NTPA (minus this new bogus sheetmetal rule) and they would be all set. PPL already has the LSS running in ESP (Empire State Pullers, here in NY) with very, very similar rules to NTPA, just a few minor tweaks and PPL would have a great class (ESP has no limit on cubic inches for Diesels in the LSS in ESP, and they have a 400 lb. weight differential).

My advice for PPL is: adopt the NTPA LSS rules with the following minor changes:
- KEEP THE ALCOHOLS AT 504... but for billet heads allow only pushrod 2-valve heads... but also allow OEM 4-valve OHC heads.
- Allow the Diesels build a 540

That would be my perfect LSS class.

Personally I hope PPL keep’s a John Deere a John Deere, and doesn’t allow this ridiculous mix and match sheetmetal rule. I’d much rather watch a class of all BBJD with JD hoods than a class of BBJD’s with any hood you please. Imagine a Ford 6000 hood on a BBJD… not a single announcer in the world should have to explain that to the fans.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Over head 4 valve heads October 09, 2009 10:53AM
Why would you put 4 valve heads on the table?
I would like to build a multi valve head, with EFI for the alky. But I would think that would be bad as you would be getting even farther away from the basic tractor engine.

I think PPL will also join the sheet metal rule as they would not want to turn Puller away.
Remember $$$$$$ talks and losing $500/ tractor plus lose of numbers to tell there sponsors.

Re: Over head 4 valve heads October 09, 2009 03:25PM
Four valve heads should be allowed when they are OEM for tractors. Tractor pulling rules need to keep up with current tractor technology. The rules should not disallow something that is pulling a plow in the fields. Tractor's with 3 and 4 valve heads will most likely be commonplace on farms across this country pulling plows, manure spreaders, and everything else under the sun. Pulling rules should allow new OEM technology whenever possible.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Over head 4 valve heads October 10, 2009 12:42AM
I would agree with you on that, but I feel as a Puller we should not have one more thing on the table right now.
There are just to many different rules out there now.

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 11, 2009 03:54AM
I dont think the rule is ridiculous, as a puller if i built a second tractor i would build a different color than i run now if i could use the motor of my choice as long as it was run in a tractor already in the class , the crowd will not know the difference unless told, it is cheaper for the pullers to use technology that has the most development , example most of the pulling tractors on the track are green and red, so there are more parts and more development on these brands, which makes those parts cheaper. hurricane allis has a 40 series detroit in it, which is a navastar built new generation 466, until the hurricane allis came back and ran very well, the class was boring, all green in southern indiana. the crowd wants to see the underdog do well. we have an allis chalmers 220 in our hot farm class, they owners spent the money it took to make it run, but it wouldnt , partly because they were working with a motor of late 60s early 70s technology, they went home very disappointed alot. they were getting beat 40 foot most of the time. they never said much, never complained and kept coming back, this winter they put in a 40 series detroit (a.k.a. navastar built motor) and with the help of 2000 technology won there first pull in 8 years and helped out class because we had color that could run with red and green. we had a massey that was very good looking and good for the class, but quit because he could not make it run economically like the red and green , if he had an option to put a motor of his choice in he might still be in the class. color makes a good class, competitive color makes excitement.

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 11, 2009 05:07AM
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Anything can be made to run. Yeah it might take more time, money and know how for some of the "off" colors but to me thats half the sport.

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 12, 2009 12:25PM
not all of us have unlimited pockets and would like to run blue, orange, or silver, for the same cost of red and green. a handicap is a handicap, level the playing field

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 12, 2009 02:43PM
I wish you were right, and if the rules were changed "correctly", you would be. But I don't care how much you spend, you can't build a New Holland PS and be within 50' of a Deere.

This ALL goes back to CID limits. It's not about money, it's not about durability, it's not about whining. It's what it's always about, bad rules are made to make up for bad rules of years gone by.

680 CID for PS? Seriously? I love 'em more than anyone, but it's a stupid limit that only guarantees that we will be using 1960's and 70's blocks for a long time, or we will be making aftermarket blocks, or we will be making stupid rules like this one so we can use 1960's and 70's blocks in whatever we want.

If PS (and SF) were 540 CID we'd never need this rule. You could build whatever you wanted with whatever was out there. Get Jake's list of matching blocks and hoods and you're off to the shop to weld away. At 680, you have to run a Deere or an IH - or come up with a riduculous solution like this one.

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 12, 2009 02:51PM
You are exactly right, 007!!

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 14, 2009 12:57AM
i agree with you , luckily our cubic inch is 510 , but we are still having trouble with colors because of cost. lots of left over red and green parts , that will fit our tractors cheaper than off colors can build new parts. it is what it is and if we figured it out i am sure we would find something wrong with that. most of the time it is better to load it on the trailer , pull go home and not say much

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 12, 2009 02:48PM
The rule doesn't apply to super farm and hot farm tractors yet. Elpers (i assume that's who you're talking about) could have made the 426 run if they did some head work, in my opinion. Just look at Earl Wells. Gettinger did a lot of his work. Just got to do the right stuff and know the right people.

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 12, 2009 11:49PM
I can not believe how little respect the fans get in terms of knowledge. Pulling isn't NASCAR!! The majority of fans are true fans. They know something about tractors. Many are farmers, some pull at lower levels, all will know. I agree color helps make a good class, but that is because it is different. A AC with a BBJD isn't different it is idiotic.

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 14, 2009 08:19AM
I agree with everything but alow all overhead cams!! There are enough of these being built now for a class!! Dependabilty is a must for this class!!!

Re: PPL SHEET METAL October 14, 2009 02:29PM
How many are being built? And who are they?

PPL can turn this into an opportunity October 09, 2009 12:24PM
In my opinion (get what you pay for), this would be the perfect opportunity for PPL to start to distance themselves from NTPA. This wouldn't hurt them in the short term for sure. They could sit back and see how this rule evolves in the NTPA before making the same mistake. I for one hope PPL is smart enough to not adopt this b.s. rule. In the long term they very well could begin to gain fans from NTPA if they make smart coices.

BS rule huh October 12, 2009 02:15PM
I have a very simple set of question. I hear alot of people call this a BS rule with the NTPA. Do you have a tractor? If you do have a tractor, is it red or green? Will you be building a tractor? If so are you going to cross brand lines? Last even with the new rule are you still going to NTPA events this comming summer?

I recieved alot of flack over my 505 Cummins in a 160 White (always been legal). Might add that White was the first to use the motor. Even before the rule change it is a legal motor in Whites, Agco, Massys, NH, and Case. To be honest the Cummins makes more sence than the Detriot 40 as a Allis replacement.I think the rule makes alot more sence in the long run. Still don't think anyone going to stuff a Deere motor in anything but a deere. As for the IH 466, with the current form of the Detriot it's really already a legal motor in over 5 brands. Now we have the Sisue coming out in just about everybrand. The rule just simplifies things for NTPA and moves them forward again. Reminds me of the roll cage rule, eveyone pissed and moaned when the implemented it. Now every association has the rule.

Re: BS rule huh October 12, 2009 02:25PM
Your prolly right there orangelss. But when did Deere make a componenet? And how could a component be cosidered a DEERE?

yep October 12, 2009 02:41PM
1. Yes I have a tractor
2. It is Orange
3. See answer to question 1 (will not build another unless I win the lotto)Grinning
4. Would not cross brand lines ever - the replacement guidelines were fine
5. I will not attend an NTPA sanctioned event.

I have no problem with your cummins engine. You are correct. It is a factory replacement. Glad to hear you're running something different! You are way off when making the comparision of this rule to the cage rule.

Here is a couple of posts I made a couple weeks ago. If you read it, maybe you'll get my point...

Shramek's performance the last couple years has been very impressive, not many will argue that. Why is it so impressive? To me, it is because of the setup. Many would admit he is at a disadvantage right off the bat because of the color. To me that is why it is so impressive what he has accomplished. It wouldn't be as big of a deal if it was just another red tractor. It also wouldn't be a big deal if it was an orange tractor with a binder block. He has taken the 426 block, made it run well and dropped it in a great chassis.

With the new rule, those days will be over. Maybe not next year or the year after, but at some point, the few off brand set ups currently running will be gone, and no new ones will be built.

I will admit, I am an AC puller. This rule is supposedly going to help me out by giving me more options. However, I still think this rule is bogus and I'm totally against it. A great day for me is when I can see an orange tractor run with all the Hyper red and Riverside green equipment. Those days are going to come to an end with the adoption of this cop-out rule, and so will my days of being a loyal NTPA fan.

Re: yep October 13, 2009 06:29AM
As a fellow puller the purpse behind building a less popular brand for the track say New Holland and making it run and be competeve is more thrilling than bulding a John Deere or a International and be like everybody else. Anybody with a checkbook and the know how can buld a John Deere. It really takes something to build a less popular tractor and make it win!

Re: BS rule huh October 13, 2009 08:31AM
Prior to the new rule didn't know a cummins was legal in a massey? I know the 9240 came with the 8.3, but didnt know it was a replacement block for the others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2009 09:13AM by Forrest.

Re: BS rule huh October 14, 2009 01:58AM
Prior to the new rule it would have been legal in anything newer than a 9240 (or the first Massey that offered the 8.3) since the old rule allowed for updating sheetmetal.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: BS rule huh October 16, 2009 10:03AM
You must be forgetting that without fans there are no pulls!!! You will then have a orange tractor to haul to car shows!!! Think about it!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,678, Posts: 229,780, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason