OIL PUMP November 05, 2009 01:06AM
Thinking of running external oil pump. On open rpm IH. what pump do you all recommend and what size of cog pulleys? thinking I would just plumb the discharge of the pump to where the cooler returned to black and using stock regulator and filter base. any ideas?

Re: OIL PUMP November 05, 2009 06:28AM
If you want a cheap one you can use the big single stage pump, We use a billet drop bracket and run a 3 or 4 stage, 2 suction, 1 turbo and 1 fuel, if you run fuel off the front of the injection pump you just use the 3 stage. Depending on the rod/main clearance and how you size the pump you may or may not need to run the factory oil relief, most pumps have built in internal relief valves. Make sure your oil filter has enough capacity or you will get air in the oil and cause bearing failure. We have several kits with different options and prices for these engines or if you just want some help feel free to drop us an email castners@castnersperformance.com we can probably get you pointed in a good direction.

Re: OIL PUMP November 05, 2009 01:10PM
I'm curious how not enough oil filter capacity will put air into the oil? I'm not disputing you but I can't see how that can happen unless with the relief ahead of the filter you get excessive recirculation back into the pan...

Re: OIL PUMP November 06, 2009 12:40AM
The relief inside most multi-stage pumps just bypasses through an internal relief valve, all it does is let the oil get recirculated inside the pump cavity, it does not go anywhere untill the filter,filter bypass or engine can accomodate more oil.

Re: OIL PUMP November 06, 2009 02:39AM
So how does that put air into the oil? Again, not trying to be smart, trying to learn.

Re: OIL PUMP November 06, 2009 04:12AM
What we are talking about with oil is foaming and without getting to in depth, foaming of oil comes from the contaminants an oil picks up and a decrease in surface tension. A low surface tension of oil allows gaseous bubbles to break apart more and stay suspended in oil this is bad. High surface tension allows air bubbles to stay larger and rise from oil in the pan more rapidly. I apologize for any confusion by stating air. Simply stated put oil in your blender at home and see what happens. Getting back on track, heavily restricting the flow of oil by increasing recirulation can accelerate the breakdown of surface tension creating oil foaming or whatever you want to call it. This all depends on how your system is setup and where reliefs are located. If your oil pump is to big and the internal relief is open all the time due a filter restriction, engine block restriction, or a oil pump to large all you are doing is moving the same oil over and over again thus breaking it down decreasing the oils ability to do its job and resist foaming. In closing if your engine needs 20 gpm get a filter that is able to handle this and do not get a pump that moves 40 gpm.

Re: OIL PUMP November 06, 2009 06:13AM
OK, that makes sense...

So, aside from flowmeters how do you know how many GPM you need? I'm sure it's well documented for the automotive engines but tractor engines with turbos of various size & number, especailly the oddball engines would be a different story.

Re: OIL PUMP November 06, 2009 09:34AM
Good question!!! We have flow meters on the dyno so that helps, as for your "oddball" and keep in mind this is my opinion, The amount of oil volume required is dictated by the amount of leakage you set your engine up for and the amount of cylinder pressure you have; also rpm. As a general rule the greater the volume of air, fuel and boost the more cylinder pressure you have, or if you lug the engine way down in rpm the greater the cylinder psi. I would say look at stock volumes & clearances along with stock oil psi and stock dynamic compression ratio. As you increase any and or all of those items you move your gpm/oil psi proportionately with it.You look in the performance automotive world and ask how much oil clearnace and how much volume to run, I am sure you will get many different anwers/opinions on that subject.

Re: OIL PUMP November 06, 2009 12:16PM
Why do some pullers run the AVIADS (spelling?) pump and not a regular hydraulic pump? They are both gear pumps right? Do regular gear style hydraulic pump do anthing different than the high dollar ones?
Thanks

Re: OIL PUMP November 06, 2009 11:14AM
Use an AVIAID oil pump and a Oberg stile external filter.shim the stock relieve so it will not open.Use relieve on pump to set your oil pressure.Call AVIAID and they can tell you what pump you need and pulley sizes.

Re: OIL PUMP November 06, 2009 11:30AM
Why do you want to run other than stock pump???

All that glitters is not gold

Re: OIL PUMP November 06, 2009 11:10PM
If you are turning high RPMs,the stock pumps can't supply enough oil to the engine.We run a three stage belt driven pump.Two for the engine and one to lube four turbos.

Re: OIL PUMP November 07, 2009 01:18AM
Aviaid pumps are great pumps, John is a super guy to work with. We sell these pumps along with other brands. We have a new brand of pump that uses the latest rotor technology so you can get a 4 stage pump, 2 suction,1 turbo and 1 fuel in the same length as the aviaid 3 stage that sill moves same gpm. Cost is a little cheaper also.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,733, Posts: 229,866, Members: 3,333.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,984.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM