9 liter head November 15, 2009 04:28PM
Anyone try running a 9 liter 4 valve head and add mechanical pump injectors instead of common rail in an 8.1 mechanical block?

Re: 9 liter head November 15, 2009 06:44PM
been done with the 4 cyl JD engine in the NL for a light hot farm

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: 9 liter head November 18, 2009 05:21AM
It could work.. but it will take some work.. the cam is moved a little on the 9.0L block.. so the push rods might not clear where it leaves the 8.1 block, because the rockers are closer to the side of the head on the 9.0 L head. Also remember that the intake and exhaust ports are in different location on the 9.0L engine.. (Different locations, I mean intake is on the left side, exhaust is on the right, and they are Intake, exhaust, intake, exhaust, intake. ect.. on a 9.0L.. on the 8.1L it was intake, exhaust, exhaust, intake, intake, exhaust, exhaust.. etc.. )
Not a big deal, just takes a different cam.

Re: 9 liter head November 18, 2009 05:36AM
so, do you think just using the 9 liter sleeves, pistons, rods, crank and pump and putting it all in a 8.1 block with a 55 head is a good alternative?

Re: 9 liter head November 18, 2009 04:29PM
Yes.. you will have to clearance a little for the bigger Rods.. the 9.0L had larger rod journals.. and the stock 9.0L came is radiused to clear the rods.. (you can't use the 9.0L cam, without the head... and I can't remember about the cam bearing journals size.)
This will depend on which 8.1L head you use.. If you are going to use a 2 Valve head, you will have to go to a custom piston.. The other issue with the 9.0L pistons will be the the oil passage in the bottom of the pistons.. the oil jet in the 8.1L block will not be spraying in to the holes in the bottom of the piston to keep them cool.. Will that matter in pulling application, I don't know... also remember the 9.0L pistons are steel..

I think the 9.0L crank, rods, sleeves with custom pistons would be a nice setup in an 8.1L block..
Bryan

Re: 9 liter head November 19, 2009 01:17AM
thanks for your information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2009 01:18AM by Bill R..

Re: 9 liter head November 19, 2009 02:43AM
9.0L block with an 8.1L head gasket on it.. all the bolts line up, but the push rods don't.. Look at the angle of the push rods.. If you used the 9.0L head gasket it would work using the 9.0L head on the 8.1 block.. (I'll have to look at 8.1L block tonight.) you might have to clearance the push rod holes in the 8.1L block. (The push rods would be at a little of an angle.. and I don't know about using the 8.1L push rods.. minor details.) You would also have to change the cam in the 8.1L to match the 9.0L head..

Personally I think the very best would be to use all the 9.0L parts block and all.. have the block machine for a P-pump, and put mechanical injectors in it..

Re: 9 liter head November 19, 2009 04:41AM
would it be possible to discuss this with you very briefly on the phone? or email?

Re: 9 liter head November 19, 2009 05:35AM
No problem..
email is JDGnutt@aol.com or just PM me here.. I'll get you my number..
Bryan

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,645, Posts: 229,712, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,904.

Our newest member JD_8520