Need help November 23, 2009 01:48PM
Im working on fixing up a 1993 chevy 3500 454 big block and i was wondering what there is i can do to beef it up and get more power, if i need to get a new cam or adjust the throttle body etc. Im 15 years old so i am on a limited budget. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Need help November 24, 2009 12:30PM
start with your fuel and air, a cam would b avery good place to start. what are u planing on doing with this truck?

Re: Need help November 24, 2009 12:55PM
I dont plan on a pulling truck. This is just my first truck and I want more power and be able beat my buddys turned up ford cummins truck. Is there anyway to change the jetting in the throttle body?

Re: Need help November 24, 2009 01:03PM
No Its a computer controled Fuel system! Ive heard about guys putin a performance chip in them! That mite get u 10 to 20 horse! A camshaft is a sure bet to get 35 to 50 horse! If u want to spend sum cash check into a Vortec Supercharger! That would b sweet!

Re: Need help November 24, 2009 02:09PM
A cam would be the best bang for your buck. Also, I would put thinner head gaskets on it to gain compression for power and gas mileage. That year model had low compression. You might be able to put aluminum heads, Edelbrock has some nice heads w big valves,on it so you don`t detonate and get around 10:1 compression ratio.

Re: Need help November 24, 2009 02:32PM
If you go change the cam and/or heads, you are probably looking at a custom tuned CPU. I hate to bust your bubble, but in all honestly, without spending some major cash, your gonna have trouble getting around your buddies turned up cummins. With a flick of a switch they can add over 100 hp and flick the switch back for stock programming and the only way you can compete with that is RPM/horsepower and to get it you need a major overhaul of the motor. Even with a supercharger, you need to revamp the entire package to handle the 'charger.

Re: Need help November 24, 2009 02:55PM
You can still run factory CPU , just put a chip on it. We did it to a 90 model, just don`t go to radical on cam. Off idle to 5800 rpm`s and you should be fine.

Re: Need help November 25, 2009 12:32AM
There you go. Problem is if he want's to beat a juiced cummins, he'll need more than 5800 and a mild cam

Re: Need help November 25, 2009 01:29AM
Farmboy94........If yer buddies diesel is juiced up to any degree at all, you've got your work cut out for you. Not saying it can't be done, but, to get a gasser to that level may render it unusable for towing, cruising, etc..........

Re: Need help November 25, 2009 09:05AM
You`d have to have a light vehicle to get the job done. Don`t try to out pull them,they`d have a gob of torque.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,783, Posts: 229,968, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,048.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009