faster mph classes November 30, 2009 03:26PM
wonder how many clubs are running a 10 mph or so turbo class and if pullers think it is a good way to keep costs down and keep tech to a minimum. this is a poll so please let me know if your club does this and if you like it. and any problems that may be associated with it. would really appreciate your feedback

Re: faster mph classes December 01, 2009 12:22AM
20.8's 10 mph really doesnt need to be anymore rules then that p pumps hugh turbos wont matter, if your using a pace no sandbagging.

Re: faster mph classes December 01, 2009 12:38AM
No tire limit and 7 mph speed limit.

Re: faster mph classes December 01, 2009 12:58AM
Where would car racing be today if they had a 50 mph speed limit? People want to see speed. MACK

Re: faster mph classes December 01, 2009 01:22AM
By the way, we have a class with no speed limit. we are trying to get input on another class with a speed limit to hold costs down in that class.

Re: faster mph classes December 01, 2009 01:31AM
A club i run with had a 12,500 class at 11mph for the first time this fall it was a huge hit they normally have about 5 to10 tractors in their heavy turbo classes and had 23 in the new class, tractors from turned up farm to hot farm participated everyone had fun. Some club members thought it would fale saying pullers wouldnt pull with a speed limit but were suprised. The speed was on a digital board at the end of the track so everyone from spectators to competitors and the puller could see real time speed so speeding isn't possible at 11.1 you are DQed. Rules were 20.8x38 or 18.4x42 2800rpm no water. I think it is a great low budget class some pump work, injectors, 3lm and you are competitve.

Re: faster mph classes December 03, 2009 02:41PM
you guys use a pace quad or a tractor then?

Re: faster mph classes December 03, 2009 04:34PM
We use a digital speed/distance board at the end of the track. The exact speed and distance are tranmitted from the sled to the speed board as you go down the track so your speed and distance are displayed as you go.

Re: faster mph classes December 04, 2009 07:37AM
About how much did that system cost your club and where did you get it?

Re: faster mph classes December 07, 2009 11:52AM
Agritronix sells it, you need their sled monitors and their display board. not sure what it costs but i'm sure it's not cheap.

tractor show not a pull December 01, 2009 01:22AM
If you have a speed limit of 10 mph you got a tractor show not a pull..... Let the pullers go as fast as they can.

Re: tractor show not a pull December 01, 2009 02:08AM
We are running a second and sixth class in Illinois and if some one is suspected of going to fast they are paced against another tractor to make sure they are running the same speed

Re: tractor show not a pull December 01, 2009 05:39AM
We already have a no speed limit class.... this is for the ones who don't want to spend the money or still farm with the tractor.

Re: tractor show not a pull December 01, 2009 11:21AM
How do you think lots of regional and national level pullers got started?They pulled classics,antiques,farm stock mph classes,etc. Their first pulling vehicle wasnt a 5 engine modified. You've got to have starter classes. I myself pull in a 10 mph class because its all that I can afford for now. Our association also has classes for those that can afford to go faster but the numbers are still pretty limited.I live in an area where pulling almost died in the 1990's so the fans are happy to see most anything pull.

Re: tractor show not a pull December 01, 2009 11:37AM
very good point and I agree. can you post you clubs name or a link to the rules you use for the 10 mph class? or just post the general rules. thanks

Re: tractor show not a pull December 02, 2009 05:15AM
I'm glad to hear about a 10 mph class. Some of the classes around here are 4 mph. It doesn't make for a good show. I like the idea of having a class where both hot tractors and tractors pulled of the choper can both compete and both have a chance of winning. I hope this class happens for ya!

thanks 4 comments and continue please December 02, 2009 06:59AM
All the comments are greatly appreciated and will make a difference in our new rules. Please continue to comment with what your club or local pulls have in the way of a 10-12 mph class and your opinion of the pro's and cons of such a class. keep in mind we do have classes with no speed limit. this is a shot at getting an easy economical class in between farm stock and very hot stock and do so with little tech requirements.

Re: thanks 4 comments and continue please December 02, 2009 12:18PM
Joe , what is your location? Maybe a few of us could join you sometime.

Re: thanks 4 comments and continue please December 02, 2009 01:12PM
We are in the western pa area... Smiling would love to have you pull with us. should have the website and rules up soon.

Re: tractor show not a pull December 06, 2009 02:09PM
I have pulled some mph classes, the best speed we have found is about 8 mph that is about as fast as a ih 1066 will go at stock rpm with the tractor in first high, high ta. It makes for a very competitve farmstock class. It doesn't matter how much money you spend its more about wieghting the tractor right and being a good driver. I enjoyed the class and there's always 20 or so tractors in the class and 90 % of they our straight off the farm. Its a good starter class where people can pull and not have a lot of money invested. I myself would go 8 mph 3000 rpms 20.8- 38 tire limit, and run a datalogger rpm box to check the rpms it would be a good class easy to police because at 8 mph turbo size, ci, and injection pumps don't make that much difference.

Re: tractor show not a pull December 02, 2009 10:26AM
Here are our clubs classes,3000 rpms maximum and 10 mph.Go 10.1 and you are out. It works pretty good and here are the class winners with tire sizes allowed.Most anyone can afford to pull these classes and they are lots of fun.

4700 15.5x38 880 Oliver gas
6250 18.4x34 or 16.9x38 880 Oliver diesel
8000 18.4x38 666 IH
10000 18.4x38 1256 IH
13000 20.8x42 1466 IH

Re: tractor show not a pull December 02, 2009 02:46PM
I think redcedarpullersllc.com has mph classes. Go to www.pullingdepot.com and click on there logo on left hand side there rule's are posted there

Re: tractor show not a pull December 07, 2009 07:45AM
Isn't it nice to have both a show and a pull at the same time with some really good running tractors that go 10-12 mph but don't cost a fortune. Just a restored tractor with a few mods can do this and look great. my 2 cents.

Re: faster mph classes December 02, 2009 03:35PM
we have 22 class for tractor and trucks ,the stock classes 4700# ,6000#, 8000#, 10000# ,13000# are all ten mile a hour class, make s good show , a completly stock can"t go this but we allow turbo on anything
springriverpulling .com

Re: faster mph classes December 02, 2009 04:34PM
Our tractor club here in the Northwest has a 6-8-and 12 MPH class. The 12 has been fun but here in a very conservitive community the extra $$ to pull 12MPH seems to be hard to justify. I would like to pull a faster speed but my finances will not allow me to justify another $15 to $20,000 and not have ANY compitition. When I moved to the NorthWest pulling was basically DEAD, the antiques had some activity but the hotter stuff was all gone. I took a big part of righting the rules here for the 12MPH class, very simple= 12mph, 3200RPM, stock WB and engine block and some safety stuff. Most of us have limitations on how much we can spend on fun, most of us can reach a limit for $$ or time spent. For me I will be taking some time off of pulling, I would like to build another 7,000# 12mph tractor at some time. But not real soon. The clubs have to learn that if there is no beginner class it is hard to get the new pullers started.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2009 04:34PM by gonzo 1066.

spectators? December 05, 2009 01:36AM
sound like an awsome class. lots of action. Any chance of a mph class at nfms ? Id pay big money and drive along way to see them run.

Re: spectators December 05, 2009 02:06AM
you forget were pulling starts.. there are way more spectators at the the thousands of fairs around the county than the few large events. there are thousdands of farm tractors for every one modified out there. and that were it starts....

Re: spectators December 06, 2009 02:16AM
MPH limits are fine for farm stock classes but why on earth do they put a MPH limit on our too-hot-to-farm classes. thats just dumb!!!

Re: spectators December 06, 2009 04:51AM
Joe Pye what part of western pa are you from? i would love to join a MPH club. its the only way to keeps things somewhat under control. Around us the guys are running fast...real fast and not looking back at the end. Its getting crazy. somewhere between 8 and 11 mph would be nice. We used to have an 8 MPH and then too many guys cried so that came off.

Re: spectators December 06, 2009 02:34PM
Every year at tampico In they run an 8mph class. i know a lot of people come to watch the ps, sf, and all the other classes too but the stands are always packed with standing room only and i've never seen all the fans get up and leave when they start the 8mph class. I don't understand why someone always has to complain about a mph/farmstock class because almost every puller starts out in classes like these. I wouldn't want to put a 16 year old in a semi, so why do you guys think a new puller would want to straddle a light super stock for their first past. And not everyone likes to watch you guys drag racing your tractors down the track there is a lot of people that like to watch the tractors do some actual pulling.

Re: spectators December 06, 2009 02:45PM
From my experience about all a 1066 will do is 2nd high with a 13 mm pump and 3lm charger which puts them down the track at 10-12 mph. if still running stock pump and charger lucky to hit 8-10 mph range depending on track. then it boils down to puller, weights, and track conditions. It is by far the easiest way to even the field and allow just about anyone to run when you use a MPH limit. I agree with pro field IH the fans still like to watch.

Re: spectators December 06, 2009 03:15PM
I think a 12 mph limit would be good. With stock-3,000 rpm's that should be about 2nd high with the TA forward in an IH. I think a good farm tractor with decent tires and a motor that isn't worn out could compete and do well. I think this class will make lots of pullers happy. Wish I was from your area and could pull with ya!

Re: spectators December 07, 2009 03:49AM
Agreed.It doesnt really cost all that much to build a 12 mph tractor and they put on a good show.Anything beyond 12 mph starts costing lots of money.

Re: spectators December 07, 2009 08:02AM
12 mph lets alot of color in and be competitive without spending lots of $$. Our 12 mph class has few rules, safety equip, 2800rpm, A pump max, open turbo (no fussing or cheating), no torquing, tire limits 18x38 or 20x34, over 12 mph your DQ. Great starter class and lots of tractors. Not for everyone but good for others. Doyle

Re: spectators December 07, 2009 08:16AM
i was just thinking on what was said, and my thoughts are this in a TRUE FARM STOCK CLASS there should be no building a tractor. Farm stock means farm stock if you are building a farm stock you just need to go up to the next class. just my thoughts!

Re: spectators December 07, 2009 08:23AM
I think what they mean is this is the NEXT class (12 mph) the farm stock class is around 4,5,6 mph. so there are two mph classes then you spend the money and no speed limit

Re: spectators December 07, 2009 09:04AM
I pull farmstock speed limit in southern indiana and the guys that can win and be consitant in the 10 and 12 mph classes have a pretty hot 466 with big a pumps or p pumps and run 3" chargers in a gear between 2nd and 3rd, about 15 mph. If you go beyond 6mph you have to start spending some money. Not saying this is wrong because it is a lot of fun to watch. The only problem is if you want to be competitve, just like in any other class, you have to spend some money.

Re: spectators December 07, 2009 12:34PM
It just depends on the club rules (and enforcement) as to how much money you have to spend to be competitive. I pull in Farm Stock anywhere from 4 to 12 mph, and some unlimited mph, but all the clubs have a 3LM limit, most are 2400-2800 rpm, stock appearing pump, and 20.8 tire limit. Mine (Case) has no T/A, but is strong enough to run faster than most of the IH's with the T/A back at the end of the track, which is all that matters anyway. All the tractors are pretty close, wins rotate around, but there is one jacka$$ that shows up with a very overbuilt tractor, runs the speed limit at 1800 rpm or lower, then opens it up when the tires start to spin to bring the wheel speed up. You gotta spend a lot of money to achieve that, but if rules were enforced, 10-12 mph is doable without big investment. I think 10 mph is a good limit for just about any stock tractor, 12 takes a good amount of horsepower on a sticky track.

Re: spectators December 08, 2009 01:54AM
In my opinion 10-12 mph is just about right. 8 mph is too slow. I know someone that once pulled an old 56 series IH in a 10 mph class at 13,000 lbs. With less than $8000 total in the tractor and pulling parts they were very competitive. They could easily run high 2nd and never pulled the TA.. Our tracks arent sticky and probably dont take the horsepower that some do.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,775, Posts: 229,945, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,032.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009