Component Tractors December 03, 2009 12:32PM
Does anyone have a copy of the rules for component chassis. I have a rulebook that is a cpl of yrs old and are looking for an up to date set.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.Winking

antechwire@bellnet.ca

Re: Component Tractors December 03, 2009 02:15PM
LMAO

Re: Component Tractors December 04, 2009 12:38AM
Looking for what NTPA 2009 rulebook says. Distance from rear to back of the motor . Height of engine crank up and down.

Thats all just want the current one.

Thanks K Grinning

Re: Component Tractors December 04, 2009 03:18AM
Don't have the book in front of me, but NTPA and PPL both say:
- From back of motor to centerline of rearend to be no further than 60"

If my memory is correct, the NTPA crank height wording is a little confusing. PPL's wording is clear: Front nose of the crankshaft can be no lower than 4” of the center of the rear axle. If my memory is correct the NTPA has some fractional drop allowed, but I think it works out to about the same 4” measurement.

The crank height is a little difficult to quantify. If you build right to the limit with 8-ply tires… and then you decide to go with a set of HP’s you might just be illegal. If you get different (smaller) front tires then you might just be illegal. Changes in tire pressure and weight can drastically change the height of the nose of the crank. The reaend (pinion height)mwill affect the slope of the driveline. The length of your block will change the slope of a driveline… a chassis designed for a short block like a AC 301 could be built right at the edge of legal, but if the owner put in a longer block like a 426… the nose of the crank will be further out, and thus lower down = illegal. Even changing from a narrow front rim to a wider front rim with the same size front tires may be enough to make a tractor illegal. Even a driveline built exactly horizontal in a shop on an unweighted chassis will have a slope once 1000 lbs get put on the nose! I guess the moral of my ramblings is don’t build too low… but build low enough to keep the center of gravity down.

I think the intent of the rule is that no one put a drop box transmission in a component tractor. If you are close on your motor I don’t think anyone is going to raise any complaints. If they do, let some air out of the rear tires, and pump the front tires up, move all the weight back and have then re-measure.Winking

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Component Tractors December 04, 2009 06:00PM
Jake I understand what you are saying but in most all shafts are straight making Crank Shaft in the same line as input shaft, thus with Most builders the Crankshaft is going to be pretty parallel to the ground for oiling reasons,(or at least pretty close to it ) Therefore the changing of tires is not going to fluctuate the nose of the crank that much. And I would think the measurement would be done off of centerline of crank not just the nose of crank. Therefore Tire changes of any kind would not change the measurement at all.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: Component Tractors December 05, 2009 12:02AM
If you have a set of 29 inch tall tires on the front and you change to a set of 27 inch tires, then you drop the front of the tractor 1 inch, therefore droping the front of the of the engine and changing the angle of the engine in comparison to the ground.

Re: Component Tractors December 05, 2009 12:48PM
Yeah I understand that but the whole crank drops and stays in straight line,( Yes the front will drop more but the centerline of the crank to its distance from centerline of rear Axle should stay the same. This is one of those things that depends on how it is measured.)

Picture this if you can, Take all wheels and sheet metal off of tractor any tractor, Hang the tractor on center of rear axle High enough it will swing 360 degrees. Now measure centerline of Crank to ceterline of rear axle, any where you want to that measurement should always be the same.

Now if they are going off just location of Nose of Crank then yes it would but has anybody ever been checked on this and seen how they actually check it.

Eric Prewitt
The Prewitt Pulling Team
Public Relations for
The Pulling Radio Network

Re: Component Tractors December 05, 2009 01:19PM
I copied the PPL rules directly from their website. I believe they measure the height of the nose of the crank from a flat horizontal ground surface below the tractor, and that's what my previous comments related to.

I believe the NTPA measured this when I was at Tomah about 4 or 5 years ago, and I can’t remember for sure, but I believe they measured from the ground surface to the nose of the crank. Maybe some of the LSS that were measured there can help answer how they were measured.

Personally I think the rules should read something more like you are saying, because I agree with you, something that reads “the centerline of the crank cannot exceeded 4" below the centerline of the rear axles” would make things much more clear, but I interpret the PPL rules to mean in relation to the ground since they state "the nose" of the crank.

I’ll grab my NTPA rule book out of my truck tomorrow and I get their exact wording of the rule.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Component Tractors December 05, 2009 04:20PM
NTPA states that crank centerline may not be below the centerline of the rear axle and must be parallel within 2 degrees in relationship to the GROUND. two degrees equals 7/16 inch per foot. This equals approx 4 inches of fall from center of rear axle tothe 114 inch wheelbase point.this to be measured with tire hitch and weight in ready to pull position. Yes if the rearend and crankshaft are bolted in the frame they will must likely be on the same plane, but that plane is measured in reference to the ground, parellel or no more than 2 degrees angle.

Re: Component Tractors December 04, 2009 03:20AM
No more than 60 inches from back of block to centerline of rear axle, crankshaft centerline may not be below centerline of rear axle and must be parallel within 2 degrees in relationship to the ground

Re: Component Tractors December 04, 2009 03:19PM
Hard not to be under axle
centerline when most use SQHD

Re: Component Tractors December 05, 2009 05:03AM
You guys going component in COTPA Robert (rule change??), or just giving it thought at this point?

Re: Component Tractors December 05, 2009 06:01AM
well when I left the class meeting we had more or less agreed on the rules for component tractors, will be put forth at the annual meeting. Robert would be able to fill you in better on the specifics! personally I think it's time has come- finding an old tractor for reasonable price is getting harder as time goes on,then having to spend a fair bit of coin just to get it in to pulling form- might as well spend it on parts that are meant for the job!

Re: Component Tractors December 05, 2009 08:15AM
Ditto well said Jim. Theres no drawback and in the end it is a safer vehicle. Btw Jim I was in favor of the 410.

Re: Component Tractors December 06, 2009 02:37AM
Agree with both of you on the component thing with where pulling is today. It should probably be an option going forward. We have not formally dicussed it in our organization, but it may come up next year.

Sounds like you are looking at a 410 ci rule? Wonder if you guys have scouted rules from different orgs to see what may be the best option? What about multi turbo, like a LLSS type class? There's a whole myriad of different rules for this sort of thing, but not sure it's the right way to go.

Feel free to send me a PM with the changes you guys have made this year, I'm interested to know.

Re: Component Tractors December 06, 2009 08:07AM
no changes in c.i. for now, wording on protocol in regards to entertaining competitors from other groups at our events is still being finalized, we always welcome guests at our events providing there is a class for them-makes for a better show! stay tuned!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,678, Posts: 229,780, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason