Pressed Steel Rims vs. Cast Center Rims?? December 07, 2009 03:32AM
Any advantages or disadvantages between the two?

Thanks.

Re: Pressed Steel Rims vs. Cast Center Rims?? December 07, 2009 04:15AM
lots and lots of weight

Re: Pressed Steel Rims vs. Cast Center Rims?? December 07, 2009 04:54AM
Cast is worth more for scrap iron. So haul that in and run the steel.

Re: Pressed Steel Rims vs. Cast Center Rims?? December 07, 2009 05:02AM
Is there any advantages or disadvantages in a performance stant point

Re: Pressed Steel Rims vs. Cast Center Rims?? December 07, 2009 06:17AM
Yes...................... It comes from a "laws of physicis" stand point. Imagine this................... a 300 lb flywheel that is 28 in diameter ............. now you by hand grab it and try to spin it from its edge.............. very tough
Now you have a 28 in bicycle wheel and do the same thing.............. by barely flicking it by hand you have it up to speed in a second. Do you have it now? Takes less HP to get the tires moving with pressed steel on

Re: Pressed Steel Rims vs. Cast Center Rims?? December 07, 2009 07:03AM
would it not be harder to stop the flywheel after it is moving? Don't most sleds start out easy anyway? Years ago the New Generation PS ran a ton of wheel weights for years. Night Moves also had them.

Re: Pressed Steel Rims vs. Cast Center Rims?? December 07, 2009 09:41AM
night moves and dickerson used the same type of wheel weight.they were both round in shape,as you stated,but the center of the weight was also round.the weight was suported on a round hanger,so there would be no energy spent on rotating the weight.the hanger would be spinning inside the weight,with friction less than trying to rotate the weight.

Re: Pressed Steel Rims vs. Cast Center Rims?? December 07, 2009 12:12PM
A cast wheel breaks at failure. Steel wheel cracks at failure

Re: Pressed Steel Rims vs. Cast Center Rims?? December 08, 2009 12:29PM
The part you are not taking into account is ................ If you are trying to run a big/bigger gear you then NEED light wheels to help get them turning in the first place. After that the race is on............... Yes that usually means you snuff it on the big end BUT you did come sliding into home because of all the speed you got going.

Re: Pressed Steel Rims vs. Cast Center Rims?? December 07, 2009 01:31PM
I think its all gonna depend on what kind of sled you have at the majority of your pulls. Keith is right, that a bicycle rim (steel press wheel) is going to be easier to get started spinning that a cast iron wheel (heavy flywheel). The thing to also note, however, is once said object is spinning. A 28" bicycle rim can easily be stopped with a set of hand/cable operated brakes commonly found on a mountain bike. Try stopping the 28" 300 lb cast iron flywheel w/ the same bicycle brake, once that flywheel is up & rotating at full speed! Breakage factor is also in there, what is more likely to break, a cast iron wheel, a 9 bolt hub, or even a 9 bolt plate welded to the axle? The latter is probably the most durable, but its gonna depend on your welder, I have seen them snap off clean!

Its gonna depend on your sled. If you have an older style sled w/ a weight box travelling up an incline from the start of the pull, then I'm gonna lean towards the steel press, for the simple fact that its easier to get it going w/ the steel press vs the cast wheels (not easier overall versus the later sleds). However, if it is the later style sled, where the box seems to move up effortlessly, until the pan drops, well' then I'll lean towards the cast wheels, for the whole momentum factor. There's a whole lot that comes into play here, for example, what kind of HP you plan on turning, SAFETY, what gear you plan on running, and what weight class you plan on being in. All of those factors play heavily into your decision of using the cast wheels or steel press. Oh yeah, so do cost, and how you want the overall appearance of your tractor to be!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 01:45PM by Blackstack1206.

Re: Pressed Steel Rims vs. Cast Center Rims?? December 07, 2009 02:49PM
Like they all said it depends on the sled but it also depends on the wieght class you are pulling. For a light weight class go with pressed steel. heavy wieght class go cast center I have yet to see a wedge lock style wheel jd or ih break . Trust me I pull the 19500lb with 20.80r42 on a 1066 and havent broke one yet.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,793, Posts: 229,997, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,103, Posts: 226,071.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009