Running a T-bucket 200lbs. light???? January 02, 2010 01:34PM
Can anyone tell me does running T-buckets 200lbs. lighter really seem to even up the class??? Not a rule in NYTPA, so I really am interested to hear from anybody who has had or currently does run this way??? I get beat all the time by full bodied trucks so I don't get it??? Thanks for any input!!!!

Rick

Re: Running a T-bucket 200lbs. light???? January 03, 2010 12:44AM
This isnt a rule to make things fair pulling... it is to encourage people to switch back to TWD trucks so it is more appealing to the fans who can relate to their brand Chevy,ford, dodge etc. It has been done with other pulling groups!

Re: Running a T-bucket 200lbs. light???? January 03, 2010 02:10AM
Yes I know that was part of the reasoning behind the rule established by ATPA and then adopted by PPL. But other than that has it made any real difference in the class anywhere???
NTPA does NOT have this and that class was won this year by a full bodied truck.
I really only raise the question because NYTPA plans to "test run" the rule at a few events this year, due to complaints that the same truck has dominated the club for several years. Despite being owned and driven by 2 different people!!! If they are looking to handicap this particular vehicle, so be it, but you cannot disadvantage similar vehicles that haven't enjoyed the same success. No one complained when the new owner took a few years to get the feel of the truck and didn't win the class!!!
So other than an attempt to persuade competitors to run a 1940's or later TRUCK body, does this rule have any other significant impact on the class?? Will taking 200lbs off this T-bucket really even up the class?? I don't think so either!!!!!! The biggest advantage a bucket has is visibility. You can build a full fiberglass body that weighs the same or even less than a T-bucket, so the whole more movable weight theory is a myth too. Rarely will find any 2 trucks, despite body style, that have the same amount of weight that can be shifted around.
And hey, I have been chasing the same truck all these years with a fantastic group of other trucks and every event is anybodies game!!!!!!!! Biggest reason for a bad finish in our class is "DRIVER ERROR"!!!!!!!!

Rick

Re: Running a T-bucket 200lbs. light???? January 03, 2010 08:47AM
Just think of it as an "Ugly Truck" tax.

Re: Running a T-bucket 200lbs. light???? January 03, 2010 09:47AM
ok who did you beat that is crying like a little girl.no matter what you do that person will bitch

ATPA January 03, 2010 10:12AM
That rule was because Valco, an ATPA sponser, was tired of getting their ass kicked by Jimmy Mattingly

Re: ATPA January 04, 2010 01:37AM
Where the engine is farther forward on a t bucket thus being able to put more weight back on the rear wheels

Re: ATPA January 04, 2010 02:47AM
There was an advantage back several years ago. That is when there was a rule for the trucks that ran a full body and it had something to do with having the engine in the engine compartment and they didn't allow the body to be modifed. Now the full body trucks can get the motor out just as far as the buckets. I think the reason PPL does handicap the buckets is they are trying to get the fans to be able to tell its a specific brand. I had a bucket and did not care for its looks, but it sure was nice to be able to work on it in the trailer.

Re: Running a T-bucket 200lbs. light???? January 23, 2010 04:22AM
LOL to the ugly truck tax, that's pretty funny!!!!

It's not my truck that's being attacked, I actually haven't chased the points in a few seasons. I believe everybody knows the truck in question here, if not just find the only bucket that has won the points in NYTPA. Then examine who finished near the top last year, but didn't win, and you can figure out where the complaints are coming from.

Personally, I don't care if someone wants to build a body out of cardboard and an erector set!!!!! You still need to set your vehicle up properly for the given track, and keep the driver error the extreme minimum!!!!!! Do those 2 things and your chances of winning the TWD points for NYTPA will sky rocket!!!!!

Rick

Re: Running a T-bucket 200lbs. light???? January 23, 2010 09:35AM
Just looking over the season for the NYTPA 2wd class, in 16 events- T-buckets won 8 events and full bodied trucks won 8. Seems pretty equal to me.

Re: Running a T-bucket 200lbs. light???? January 23, 2010 09:45AM
Exactly!!!!!!!! Anyone of us may win on any given day!!!!! Breakage played a BIG part for last season too.

Rick

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,673, Posts: 229,771, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,944.

Our newest member Jason