Death of a puller February 03, 2010 09:50AM
I am sorry to hear about the passing Lyle Nelson. Lyle was a pulling legend and will always be remembered. Thought's and prayers go out to Nelson family from the Nebraska Bush Pullers.

Brian Fuhr
Nebraska Bush Secretary

Re: Death of a puller February 03, 2010 10:06AM
He will be missed by many Sad I have seen him run many times and he was always a good show

Re: Death of a puller February 03, 2010 10:28AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Lyle truly was a legend in tractor pulling. I'll always remember his Black 3688 & his trademark overalls! He will truly be missed by many.

Re: Death of a puller February 03, 2010 12:21PM
Boy sorry to hear that, my thoughts go out to the family. Mike Klingbile from Lennox SD who use to pull two D21's in the super stock class told me a funny story about Lyle. He said they were at a pull in Watertown SD, and Esdon Lehn showed up, Mike couldn't remember what the number on Lehns tractor was whether it was a 986 or 1486. Anyways Mike said it was one of the first really flashy paint jobs of the day, and as Esdon made his way down the track Lyle leaned over and said "you can't depend on show to make her go I'll show you how its done". Lyle pulled last in the class and blew the doors off everybody. I thought that was pretty good, just wish I had got a chance to know another 3688 driver.

Re: Death of a puller February 03, 2010 12:43PM
Not great pictures, but all I have scanned.

Greg

Re: Death of a puller February 04, 2010 12:47AM
Great pics Gregg is that last one in Hildreth Ne I don't ever remember that white sled. Also awesome to hear some stories about Lyle.

Re: Death of a puller February 03, 2010 05:18PM
Very sad news and my condolences to the family.The first time I saw Lyle he was pulling a black 806 IH at the Kansas State Fair.This would have been in the mid 1970's.He hauled it on a snub nose Ford 2 ton truck and besides the puller he had an old motorcycle up on the truck bed. Another of the long time pullers is gone. RIP Lyle.

Re: Death of a puller February 04, 2010 01:44AM
Thanks for the kind words. Services are at Our Saviours Luthern Church in Dannebrog Ne. at 2:30 p.m. Saturday Feb. 6th and visitation Friday Feb. 5th from 4 to 7 p.m. Tractor pulling was dads [Lyle Nelson alias the BORN LOSER] greatest passion. Dad made his last pull on Sept. 9th in Ravenna Ne. [outlaw event] on his black 4-turbo charged superstock 3688 at the age of 84. He will be missed but we will carry his passion at every event we attend for he did pass that passion along to his sons and there families.

Todd and Mel Nelson and families

Re: Death of a puller February 04, 2010 01:32AM
Lyle Nelson
BOELUS - Lyle D. Nelson, 85, of Boelus died Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Good Samaritan Center in Ravenna after a short illness.

Services will be at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Our Saviour's Lutheran Church in Dannebrog. The Rev. Robert Carlson, Jr. will officiate. Burial will be in the Loup Fork Cemetery near Boelus, with military honors by the Schipman Mogensen American Legion Post 201 of Boelus.

Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at the church. Jacobsen-Greenway Funeral Home in St. Paul is in charge of arrangements.

Mr. Nelson was born Dec. 17, 1924, in rural Dannebrog to Walter and Lily (Boesen) Nelson.

He was united in marriage to Jayne Eriksen on Feb. 12, 1944, in Smith Center, Kan.

Survivors of the immediate family include his wife, Jayne of Ravenna, formerly of Boelus; three sons and a daughter-in-law, Wayne Nelson of Palm Desert, Calif., Mel Nelson of Dannebrog and Todd and Katrina Nelson of Boelus; a daughter and son-in-law, Sally and Nathan Perkins of Jefferson City, Mo.; 11 grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren; and a brother and sister-in-law, Warren and Kathy Nelson of Boelus.

Lyle was raised near Dannebrog and attended rural school District #62. He attended and graduated from Boelus High School in 1942. Lyle enlisted in the U. S. Navy on June 14, 1944. He served as a seaman in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater. He received his discharge on March 20, 1946.

The couple moved into Boelus, where Lyle ran a service station and also did trucking of cattle, feed and machinery. In 1951, they moved to a farm between Dannebrog and Boelus. He began farming with his father and also continued running his trucking company. In 1966, Lyle was a Howard County Yield Contest winner. In June 1969, Lyle, his brother Warren, sons, Mel and Todd and Gene Hurt entered their first tractor pull in Farwell. He later pulled in the superstock class, known as the "Born Loser".

He retired from farming in 1989, but he remained active in tractor pulling and antique cars. He took part in his last pull in September 2009. Lyle was an avid flyer, owning a couple of his own planes. In December 2009, he celebrated his 85th birthday with a party in Boelus.

He was a member of Our Saviour's Lutheran Church of Dannebrog, the Schipman Mogensen American Legion Post 201 of Boelus, the Nebraska and the National Tractor Pullers Association.

He was preceded in death by his parents; one sister, Lois Lehman; and two nephews, Jack Nelson and Kirby Lehman.

Re: Death of a puller February 04, 2010 11:07AM
It was sad news to hear of the passing of Lyle. I always looked forward to talking with him at the different pulling events. He always had a kind word and smile to share. He will be missed by many. My condolences go out to the boys and family. Jeff A. Gravert

Re: Death of a puller February 04, 2010 04:39PM
I remember seeing Lyle on the 806 and then the 3688 for years, including this past September in Ravenna. I have talked to Lyle and Mel and Todd, always great people and great competiters. He was truly a legend. Our prayers are with you. Darin

Re: Death of a puller February 05, 2010 03:45AM
The Thermal Thunder pulling team wants to extend our condolences to the entire Nelson family at this time. Lyle was an icon in superstock tractor pulling in the midwest and was one reason that our family got interested in the sport of tractor pulling. Lyle and his black International will be greatly missed.

Thermal Thunder Pulling Team

Re: Death of a puller February 05, 2010 06:15AM
Our condolences to your family.

I meet Lyle at a pull in Greeley Colorado back in the late 90’s, I can’t remember if it was 97 or 98. I think he may have been the only Super Stock at the pull. I had a nice conversation with him, and we joked about the competition (lack there of) at the event and in the far west of the midwest. He talked about some of his memories about past pullers from Colorado and Western Nebraska… there sure weren’t many pullers in that area in the late 90’s. He asked me where I was from and we shot the breeze for a while before the pull. He seemed like a real nice guy and he took plenty of time to chat before the event even though I was just Joe blow who snuck in through the fence. I actually didn’t even stay for the pull, I just snuck in the pits to see who was there. I was happy to be greeted by such a nice guy with so much history.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,691, Posts: 229,796, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,956.

Our newest member CBeard