cummins in a deere? February 04, 2010 02:04PM
anybody know if it's possible to put a cummins motor in a deere puller?

Re: cummins in a deere? February 04, 2010 02:06PM
UNL Super Stock I think you can. The 855 was availiable from factory in the mid 90's four wheel drives.

Re: cummins in a deere? February 04, 2010 03:18PM
Pull NTPA Superstock. Right now you can put a Cummins in a Kubota.

Have at it . Winking

Re: cummins in a deere? February 05, 2010 05:48AM
Very well said Robert (and good choice with the Kubota... you stuck with an orange one!Winking)

The NTPA has made a mockery of the Super Stock and Pro Stock classes.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: cummins in a deere? February 05, 2010 09:03AM
Chicken little said the SKY was Falling, Al Gore said we have Global Warm, Obama says we are going to spend our way out of the recession and NTPA has put pulling on life support because of a engine/sheet metal rule NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

new ntpa component rule February 05, 2010 09:21AM
inspite of many opinions i think the new rule is a good thing because many fans will never see under the hood and it will finally put all colors in the winners circle and its good for business not just red and green fans will come to the pulls

Re: new ntpa component rule February 05, 2010 03:52PM
How many new colors will be built?

Re: new ntpa component rule February 08, 2010 01:39AM
Look at all the pretty colors. It makes me want to come back and watch again. Not!!

Pulling fans know the difference. I am a IH fan but I would rather watch a pull with 15 BBJD's than a one with 10 JD's and 5 IH's with BBJD engines. That is a slap in the face. Get a Cummins competitve and it could put it under most colors with the old rules.

Re: cummins in a deere? February 05, 2010 10:25AM
Yes Jake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chicken little said the SKY was Falling, Al Gore
> said we have Global Warm, Obama says we are going
> to spend our way out of the recession and NTPA has
> put pulling on life support because of a
> engine/sheet metal rule NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL I like this^^^^

Re: cummins in a deere? February 05, 2010 12:02PM
Never did I say the sky was falling. I said I don’t like the rule… very, very, very (did I mention Very!) big difference. I’ve stated on multiple occasions that I don’t think it will make a huge difference for many fans, but it does for me.

As of right now, I tentatively plan on only making one NTPA event in 2010. The reason for me is simple, I don’t like much of their product anymore. Some like Coke, some like Pepsi, some would rather drink Cream Soda. If I was a big Coke drinker and they change their formula to taste like beets I wouldn’t force myself to drink it because Coke is such a great company. I would switch and drink something different, and the NTPA’s product is no different. You can continue to drink Coke or Pepsi or whatever you’d like, I’m not going to force you to drink it, and you can’t force me to like the flavor of beets.

I still love the NTPA Mods, Trucks, and SF, (and I think their Light Pro Stock class has tremendous potential). PPL offers the same or similar classes, but still has a John Deere that powered by Deere, and that means a lot to me.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: cummins in a deere? February 05, 2010 12:32PM
Remember, if you mix Captain Morgan, and Ginger Ale, it tastes like cream soda !!!
(Uncle Ted Nugent and I prefer Vernor's Ginger Ale by the way)Grinning

Re: cummins in a deere? February 05, 2010 01:34PM
Jake Morgan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Never did I say the sky was falling. I said I
> don’t like the rule… very, very, very (did I
> mention Very!) big difference. I’ve stated on
> multiple occasions that I don’t think it will
> make a huge difference for many fans, but it does
> for me.
>
> As of right now, I tentatively plan on only making
> one NTPA event in 2010. The reason for me is
> simple, I don’t like much of their product
> anymore. Some like Coke, some like Pepsi, some
> would rather drink Cream Soda. If I was a big
> Coke drinker and they change their formula to
> taste like beets I wouldn’t force myself to
> drink it because Coke is such a great company. I
> would switch and drink something different, and
> the NTPA’s product is no different. You can
> continue to drink Coke or Pepsi or whatever
> you’d like, I’m not going to force you to
> drink it, and you can’t force me to like the
> flavor of beets.
>
> I still love the NTPA Mods, Trucks, and SF, (and I
> think their Light Pro Stock class has tremendous
> potential). PPL offers the same or similar
> classes, but still has a John Deere that powered
> by Deere, and that means a lot to me.

Well said.

Re: cummins in a deere? February 05, 2010 02:50PM
Until you put a dog in the fight, and beings you have wore your view out about it, go watch antiques pull

Re: cummins in a deere? February 06, 2010 12:49AM
PPL tractors are by no means antiques. If PPL continues to make hoods have a relationship with motors I’ll continue to support PPL. I can’t help but laugh since you are calling PPL Pro Stock and Unlimited Super Stocks antiques. Are the PPL tractors antiques in your mind?

How is it that; changing the hoods in the NTPA now make them “Modern” tractors? Please, please explain how a Big Block John Deere motor with a New Holland hood is any “newer” than a Big Block John Deere with a John Deere hood? Please, please, please explain that to me?

No, I don’t have a “dog in the fight”… never have, can’t afford it yet. I would like to some day, but it’s not financially possible (the "dog in the fight" thing is getting a little old and stale, everyone who reads this page knows I don't have a pulling tractor, and I've never made a pass down the track. However, I've spent a good deal if time working on a Mod, a truck and multiple SS tractors, so you can pretend I'm just a clueless guy in the stands if you want, but it's just not true). Since you supposedly have a “dog in the fight” and are so enlightened it shouldn’t be too difficult for you to answer my questions.

Looking forward to your answers,

One last note: since you believe “beings you have wore your view out about it" don't read it. Honestly, nobody is forcing you to read my posts and opinions.

Again, looking forward to your answers,

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: cummins in a deere? February 06, 2010 03:46AM
There is nothing to explain Mr. Morgan. Just as you do not like the dog in the fight comment, some get tried of hearing how in your infinite wisdom you are going to boycott certain NTPA events because of the rule. In my view your loss. Changing the hood has nothing to do with being a modern tractor. Just as technolgy has changed in pulling so has the making of cast motors by different companies and making them better than 40 year old blocks that match certain sheet metal. Oh and by the way if you do not like reading post likes these, delete them it is your website. Just like I do not have to read your INFINITE WISDOM POSTS. You have A GOOD DAY.

Re: cummins in a deere? February 08, 2010 04:17AM
...now that is funny right there...

Re: cummins in a deere? February 06, 2010 02:14AM
The word from Richwine is only if it came in a two wheel drive ag tractor. No four wheel drive motors. This is for all NTPA Super stock classes at all levels . Look on the Q &A tech page of NTPA. Even with the sheet metal rule only two wheel drive stuff, No 903's .

Re: cummins in a deere? February 06, 2010 02:54AM
Sounds like Mr. Richwine has cleared the air. Personally I dont get hung up on brand loyalty. I go to PPL events as well as NTPA and enjoy pulling for what it is, earth shaking, wheel churning,high horsepower machines. In order for the sport to move forward sometimes rule changes will be necessary. I am sorry Jake that you will be limiting attending events in the sport that we all share a passion for.

More fish in the sea February 06, 2010 03:06AM
Not limiting my events, just limiting my NTPA events. More than one fish in the sea, should be a good summer.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2010 03:08AM by Jake Morgan.

I believe the rule book is the final word. February 06, 2010 03:12AM
I read that post on the NTPA Tech page. First let me say I like Larry, I look forward to talking with him whenever I get the chance, and I think he’s been a steady rock for the NTPA. That being said, the NTPA rulebook is the final word, not the NTPA Q&A tech page. There may be more to Larry’s comments than he had time to type.

Since at least 2005 (can’t find my 2004 or 2006-2009 books) the NTPA rule book has stated:

Page 42, Section 5, Letter A, Number 2:
Only engines considered legal to be used in Super Stock division must be available in two wheel drive farm tractors except for SN/GN level, in which case, refer to number 16, letter g. (This applies to both OEM and Component type

Page 44, Section 5, Letter A, Number 16, Letter g:
Component tractors at SN/GN level only are allowed to use any agricultural type engine that conforms to sheetmetal and cubic inch limits. Diesel engines only to be allowed to use OEM four valve head for that series.

Now first, let me say the NTPA rule book is a mess and is in need of a much overdue complete re-write (I’d be happy to assist). That said, it’s quite clear on this issue that a 903 Cummins is legal on the GN and SN level in a component chassis. I don’t have my newer rule books infront of me so I can’t say with 100% certainty, but I believe they would need to go through some very specific steps to retract or edit the above rules.

Of course the rule book contradicts itself multiple times on many topics. Infact, the OEM block provision has been removed from the Super Stock section. That means that if Larry’s comments were 100% completely correct on the tech page, and taken word for word:
- A John Deere with a 466 from a Combine or a Forage Harvester would now be illegal.
- An IH with the truck version of the DT 466 would now be illegal.
- A Ford with a 474 truck block would now be illegal.
- A marine or a truck 8.3 L Cummins would now be illegal
- A 619 Deere would now be illegal
- Most of all, the Hypermax block would now be illegal.

Because all those motors are OEM replacements, and not motors from Twd tractors they would all be illegal in SS. You could still run those motors in PS since it still has the OEM provision in the rule book, but it’s no longer in the SS section of the rule book. Now if you were to interpret Larry’s comments 100% word for word all those motors would be illegal along with the 903. Obviously that’s not the case because we would only be left with two or three “Legal” Super Stocks. So there must be “more” to Larry’s story, for the “more” part, we can simple look to the rule book. (Technically speaking the rule book makes it illegal to put OEM replacement blocks in an OEM chassis in SS, so again it’s in much need of an overhaul)

If the 2010 rule book reads the same as a 2005-2009 on this topic then the 903 is legal for Open SS, Diesel SS, Light SS, and PS in all component tractors. Hopefully I can get a 2010 rule book soon to verify. Now with the sheetmetal rule you can put a 903 or 855 in anything and be legal on the GN circuit.

Don’t necessarily take Larry’s quick comments as gospel, go to the book to verify.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 06, 2010 03:33AM
Jake? were you everybodys favorite classroom taddletail in grade school?

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 06, 2010 05:15AM
Nope, I’m just an average guy with the ability to read the rule book.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 06, 2010 04:26AM
Didn't read your post word for word but I would suggest to you to call Richwine and ask. I crossexamined him on this very issue and this is what I was told. Legal block = twd ag or oem replacement. I was also told by another that Richwine is the final authority on the rule book. So seriously Jake give him a call and report back.

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 06, 2010 05:38AM
Thanks for hte info Hagar. I’ll look up Larry and some other NTPA officials/reps in Louisville and see exactly where the rule stands and I’ll also see if I can get a 2010 rule book and see what that says. If Larry and the rule book don’t see eye to eye I’ll do my best to find out why.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 06, 2010 05:46AM
Sounds good Jake, anxious to hear. I guess its all in interpretation and by the way the 2010 rule book ins't much better.

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 06, 2010 05:55AM
I am certain you that you are completely wrong on this. I was asked to pre commit with NTPA for the 2010 season. We were invited to pull at the Beach Pull in Holland in July. The NTPA is happy to see this ,and we will finish out the season when we get back in August. The tractor is a component IH with the 903 for the open SS. I will also be at as many PPL hooks as I can get too. It is legal all over. The only thing is that you are limited to GN/champions tour PPL. This limits where you can go to hook. I really don't care because there is more than enough pulling to go around.
I would doubt that you will see any 903 in the diesel classes because many of the diesel SS and PRO Stock tractors can and like to be able to hit some pulls close to home on the local/state level. I really don't know why some have a grudge aginst the 903. It has, and will be a legal motor. Yes it is different, but do you really want another Kookie & Kutter that you can not tell apart. They are all great pieces of work ,but take the lettering off the side shields and lets see if the owners can tell them apart.
I know there is going to be some cross brand tractors out this year. At least one for shure. (Deere/IH)
You are welcome to call if you are looking for more info. 412-217-7363
Kevin

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 06, 2010 06:12AM
Thanks a ton for clearing that up Kevin. Glad to hear there’s no hassle with you pulling in 2010. I look forward to watching you a Patrice run those 903’s this summer. Have a safe and fun trip overseas, sounds like it’s going to be a great experience.

I knew that cross brand sheetmetal/block wouldn't take long.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 06, 2010 06:25AM
Thanks Jake See ya some time this summer.

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 07, 2010 04:34AM
First off I`d like to say NTPA is a great organization for Pulling , but I still stick to my original opinion that motors and colors should stay original. If you want the crosslines, build a modified, because down the road loyal brand fans will find out about this. If they don`t attend the pulls there goes our prize money.
Roadrunner Pulling Team

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 07, 2010 05:28AM
Amen to that. Brand loyalty is key for tractor classes in this sport. If anyone really thinks pulling fans aren’t brand loyal they should walk around the Farm Show this week. They don’t just wear shirts with generic gray tractors, they wear shirts with John Deere, IH, Ford, etc… If it’s a John Deere 6030 with an International Harvester 1066 hood, what the heck are they going to cheer for? What’s that IH fan going to think when he finds out that a red big block JD won the class?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2010 05:54AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 06, 2010 07:10AM
Mr. Campbell,

I saw your tactor at Bowling Green and it is impressive. I am not the problem. If anyone has a grudge against the 903 if must be Richwine. I've called him about two different motor combinations Cat 3306 and Cummins 903 and he denied legality of both at all levels of SS competiion. Evidently they are not all on the same page at NTPA. I understand you are precommitted just don't understand why they won't let anyone else play.

Hagar

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 06, 2010 08:54AM
Hagar,

I think that maybe what Jake was getting at was how the question was asked. I have not talked to Richwine lately or much at all, but maybe he thought you were looking at it across all the levels of SS/PRO. In that case it would not be legal. I really don't think any group likes something different. It causes them headaches. It is a limiting factor, and is always a concern when you are the odd one out. It is a lot easier to get wrote out of the rule books when there is only one or two. This was a big concern when we looked at building it. I don't think we would have done it without the Canuck opening the door. The same goes for anyone looking at building a new combo. If they were to remove the rule , we could not run,and Its resale value would be nothing. I guess you could always make it a mod!

Re: I believe the rule book is the final word. February 07, 2010 12:03AM
well if that ever happens then give me a call, i think that thing is awsome and if i could buy it for next to nothing i would!

written contract vs verbal contract February 07, 2010 08:01AM
Anyone knows that a written contract is more valid that a verbal contract. Same tthing with rules, written rules win over verbal rule intepation,,,Why have a rule book if Larry R. can just make any rule read the why he wants. If someone was to build a tractor to the NTPA rule book then have Larry say is isn’t legal would be crazy, lawsuit heaven. The rule book is the final answer.

Re: written contract vs verbal contract February 07, 2010 09:27AM
Even CRAZIER would be to build something "different" without calling Larry and asking about it FIRST.

Re: written contract vs verbal contract February 07, 2010 09:58AM
In comparision, I've never seen any spectators get up and leave when a TWD Ford truck with a Chevy motor hooks to the sled. In fact, the announcer usually plays it up a little.

Re: written contract vs verbal contract February 07, 2010 12:25PM
Again, no one ever leaves an NHRA national event when someone in a fuel funny car that has an Impala body on it and is running a HEMI makes a pass !!! Same with a Yotoytoy.

Re: written contract vs verbal contract February 07, 2010 02:33PM
Yeah but, there really isn't any brand recognition left in Fuel Funny, except maybe the Force Fords, and they're sorta using a Ford motor now. The rest of the field basically all use the same stuff- not Chrysler- but still use some of the original bolt patterns and such. I don't know if we want tractor pulling to end up that way, with a "spec" engine that has little to do with anything O.E.M. in every tractor. I don't have much of an opinion either way, but the argument is really about the fans, not the pullers. The pullers will go whatever direction that suits them, and I'm not sure the fans really care. To go farther yet, how many fans even know the difference between any of the classes that have near stock sheet metal? To the fan's eye, they all look about the same from the stands. They all have big tires and go fast- most of the fans don't know how many chargers, weight, cu inch, etc.- they are there for the show. In fact, you have to really listen close (if there is a good announcer) to know what class is on the track. Now I'm not insulting any of the fans- there are some very educated pulling fans that know everything about the different classes, but probably not all that many at a big pull. From the fan's standpoint, I don't think they care what's under the hood. As a puller (small time) I would probably prefer the brands to remain pure, but the fans are paying for the tickets.

Re: written contract vs verbal contract February 07, 2010 02:44PM
NHRA is now using a "spec" type engine, so they are all the same regardless of the body in funy car, Top Fuel guys are the same. Its is up to tuner to make the best use of it. Alot like nascar, irl, Etc.

Re: written contract vs verbal contract February 07, 2010 05:31PM
Well sort of. They are limited to 500 inch (in nitro classes) but can use other head configurations if they want. They don't, because the Hemi works better. The Force cars are using what they call a Ford "Boss 500" which still has hemi heads, but there are major differences. Most everybody else uses the Chrysler design, but there are various block and head manufacturers with some minor differences. NHRA doesn't really put too many restrictions on them except for major things like blower size, and they all have to run a rev limiter. I think the fuel pumps have limits, also.

Billet Blocks February 08, 2010 12:39AM
I’m working on an Opinion article right now regarding billet blocks (some may be very surprised by my stance on this topic!), but a spec/generic billet block is exactly where the NTPA is headed. It will be in a year or two, but mark my words: NTPA component tractors will be allowed a generic billet block. No bolt pattern rules, no crank swinging rule… just bore spacing and a cube limit (maybe deck height limit, but I doubt it)… that will be it. Then it’s going to be completely cookie cutter under the hood.

As for NHRA, I don’t go. Don’t really care since a Ford isn’t a Ford anymore. I’ve seen Top Fuel cars in person stood right at the fence as they came by), and they are impressive for their speed, but there wasn’t any sense of rivalry. As for the made-up rivalry between drivers or teams… don’t care, for the same reason I don’t watch soap operas. I guess that’s why I’m not a huge Twd Truck fan, cheering for which Sassy motor will win isn’t as exciting to me. If I want to watch Sassy motor why just watch one when I can watch four. I have always been drawn to the tractor classes because it’s awesome to see what you can make a stock block do. A completely generic block, a completely generic rear-end, a completely generic frame, generic tires, generic crank, generic head, generic hood, generic everything isn’t what I’m interested in. With some minor tweaks though, it might peak my interest again (more on that in my upcoming Opinion article).

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Billet Blocks February 08, 2010 03:06AM
Very few will be able to afford to play.

Re: Billet Blocks February 08, 2010 11:30AM
I disagree. It will be more affordable to run a SS tractor, providing that the new billet blocks are designed to be a race engine and not a reproduction of a tractor engine. If a block is made of aluminum or steel, it will be alot easier to fix windows or cracks. For what most of us spend on preparing a couple cast blocks, one could buy a billet block. However, I do believe that there needs to be some specs set so that when different manufactures start building these blocks, the major parts such as heads and cranks will interchange.

Re: Billet Blocks February 08, 2010 12:52PM
If a good billet head is 15k plus I would suspect a billet block would be 25K+ Now we have to have bigger turboes and more fuel because we think the block will take it and so on and so on. So now we have a complete billet tractor, average cost to build to play at least $300,000 diesel superstock. If this is what people want on the GN then fine but leave the state and region alone.

Re: Billet Blocks February 08, 2010 02:47PM
Cody, don't even go there.

Re: Billet Blocks February 09, 2010 12:53AM
Shoot why they're at it just let em run any cubes, have a real free for all.

Re: Billet Blocks February 09, 2010 02:47AM
Grinning Yea, I have a vision, maybe we could make a Moline with 7 main bearings and sleeves and better head(s) and...Grinning

Re: Billet Blocks February 10, 2010 12:21PM
That's the problem with MM's, you don't know where to quit.......maybe then we could shed enough weight to get into the light classes, you know, under 12,000.....Cool

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,686, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,898.

Our newest member JD_8520