8.3 cummins Light pro stock February 05, 2010 03:47AM
Been toying with the idea of building a light pro instead of a LLSS. Would be using the 8.3 cummins motor. Stock bore and stroke is 4.49b x 5.32s. Would it be better to square the B/S 4.86b x 4.86s or just leave the stock stroke and bore to 540ci 4.64b x 5.32s. I know the head is a limiting factor for this motor. I have worked one head before now. By welding up the valves and moving one in and the other out and machining the cast intake plenium off. You can get that head to flow preety good.

Re: 8.3 cummins Light pro stock February 05, 2010 12:49PM
Go for it!!! Thumbs Up The more pullers that support this new class, the better off pulling will be. THE LIGHT PRO STOCK CLASS HAS TONS OF POTENTIAL. And the 8.3 Cummins is in way too many tractors, to not be used more in pulling.

Re: 8.3 cummins Light pro stock February 05, 2010 01:47PM
The Cummins QSL (8.9L) is already at 540 stock, essentially the same block as the 8.3 just larger displacement and a few other changes. Only came from the factory with 24V head though so some modification work is necessary to get the 12V to work - it can be done though. I see this engine/ block becoming the way to go in pulling. We'll find out very soon........

Re: 8.3 cummins Light pro stock February 05, 2010 06:34PM
Depends on the cost of them. Right now you can get the older 8.3 block for alot less money. I have found several 8.3s for less than I could pick up a 5.9 for.

One other negative about the block that I havn't worked out a solution for is making it a roller. Right now flat tappet is it, with the little button/mushroom lifters.

Re: 8.3 cummins Light pro stock February 05, 2010 10:54PM
What is the stock application of this motor.Valve train is a litte weak in this 8.3

Re: 8.3 cummins Light pro stock February 06, 2010 01:01AM
The QSL is the Industrial/ Ag version and the ISL is a truck engine. The QSL/ISL engine comes standard with roller lifters, so the block is already machined for them.

One thing to remember Orangelss - Old block = a lot of stress, strain, and fatigue on it already. New Block = no stress on it.

Re: 8.3 cummins Light pro stock February 06, 2010 04:18AM
Ag Repower I understand where your coming from, but unless you want to sponcer me with a block and crank. My funds are limited and the choice between a $1500 and $4500 for a motor to tear down and redo is a very large difference. I would also have to mob it to put the 12v head on it. The 24v head is not allowed in the class.

Re: 8.3 cummins Light pro stock February 06, 2010 08:00AM
Fair point about the initial cost being more expensive. You can do an 8.3 cheaper which fits more budgets. However, in general if someone wants 540 CI and roller lifters from a stock configuration, this is something to consider.

I think the "NO 24V Heads" rule is absolutely obsurd but it's the rules of the game for now. If I had a skin in the game, I'd be calling NTPA every week trying to get that rule changed. It's 2010, not 1960..... time to step into the present.

Orangelss - Good luck on your project. I know the Cummins engines pretty well, let me know if I can be of assistance at some point. You can contact me at marty@agrepower.com The more Cummins powered tractors/ trucks/ semi's the better in my biased opinion.

Re: 8.3 cummins Light pro stock February 06, 2010 01:47PM
Thanks Ag. Jeramy and them said you were a big help for them also. I do agree also on the 24v also. Their are more and more tractors coming out with them.

Re: 8.3 cummins Light pro stock February 06, 2010 10:57PM
Did they ever make a mecanical engine with a 24v head?

Re: 8.3 cummins Light pro stock February 08, 2010 10:54AM
Only one I can think of is an N14 STC - but that's a 14L engine. Generally speaking, the 24V's and the electronics came in together, mostly to meet emissions but also to improve performance.

Re: 8.3 cummins Light pro stock February 08, 2010 12:49PM
A 9.0L crank will fit in 8.3 block but it takes some grinding on the block so the rods will miss on the down stroke. Also have to reroute oil to filter because when making room for rod will grind into internal oil journal to oil filter.

Re: 8.3 cummins Light pro stock January 30, 2014 01:00AM
I know this is a old thread but oranges did you ever mess with the 8.3 or 8.9 block

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,749, Posts: 229,900, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,088, Posts: 226,003.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM