Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) February 10, 2010 01:33AM
Does anyone know whatever happened to Rose that flipped over at Tomah back in the early 90's? How bad was he hurt,what exactly caused it and does anyone have any pictures?Thanks.

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) February 10, 2010 02:59AM
also what ever happend with Irish challenger tractor, and luedkes sled? any pics there?

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) February 10, 2010 04:00AM
we were told at tech school that,on the drawbar asembly,the peice of material the brawbar pivots in that is fastened to the rear end,kind of like a saddel or cradel.became seperated from the rearend,the bolts broke,..the opening in the side supports on the height adjustment in the rear of the hitch was smaller than this saddel,which was still attached to the drawbar,the saddel become lodged in this support causing the vehicle to rare up kind of unusual...and when it landed,it did not land straight causing the front to dig in and overturn..if i remember correctly this is when the second hitch was mandated,and no tractor was to be allowed to hook if it was seem being secured while transported using the pulling hitch as a restraint area.this is what we were told that weakened the saddel holding bolts,the jarring from hauling the tractors.i still have the video that was presented to us at tech school,it is at regular speed ,and quite a bit of slow motion.all the action took place in 2 seconds or less time.

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) February 10, 2010 05:20AM
Did the driver survive??

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) February 10, 2010 07:47AM
Yes, Randy Rose survived and to my knowlede is still living. I know he had a ruptured spleen and I assume some broken bones. Remember, this was was one of the accident's that were precursor's to the mandatory roll cages.

DPS

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) February 10, 2010 08:07AM
Randy helps Ricky with mod sometimes at pulls, his one leg is rough shape, wears a knee brace for support.

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) February 10, 2010 08:28AM
Randy is doing just fine, still shows up at pulls from time to time to watch. The gentleman with the knee brace is not Randy but a guy named Kerry. The tractor that rolled over is still pulling in the Midwest owned and driven by a Pete McGiffin from some town in Wisc.

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) February 10, 2010 09:55AM
Pete McGiffin is from Baron Wis. he pulls UPM and Region 3.

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) March 27, 2013 01:28AM
Asker,
The Irish Challenger became Leischners Dirt Challenger.

Re: I was there February 10, 2010 10:13AM
I believe it was in 1997. Friday evening session, super stock class. They were hooking on the grandstand track.

What's ironic is that there was a live TV unlimited mod class on the other track.
For 2 years in a row, TNN taped a live 2 hour show. I may be wrong about this detail, but I believe this may have been the debut of the modern incarnation of Just Add Dirt (it was at one of the Tomah tapings. Could have been '98 though).

I remember this: Rodalyn Knox had just hooked, and they were at the far end of the track interviewing her for the TV show.
Randy Rose was hooking on the grandstand track and the accident happened.

I don't think they showed it on TV, but I bet people at home were wondering why all these guys were sprinting towards while Rodalyn was being interviewed.

It was very scary, and I thought for sure he would be killed, but God spared his life.
The very next year, 1998 at Ft. Recovery, I witnessed the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life at a tractor pull, though I believe Mr. Walsh only had a broken hand, but that was MUCH scarier to see in person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2010 10:14AM by The Original Michael.

Re: I was there February 10, 2010 11:28AM
I was watching the live T.V. show when that happened,though didn't know it at the time,they were interviewing Mrs. Knox when it happened,You could here something happen in the back ground and she looked away from the interview,they never told what happened ?

Re: I was not there February 10, 2010 12:24PM
Same thing with me. I was watching on the tube as Rodylyn was being interviewed for her win, and you knew somthing happened, she kept looking over, and you could hear the crowd go "OH". Wasn't till the next day when I got to tomah that I found out what happened. Not much for internet then.

Irish Challenger February 11, 2010 05:38AM
I was also at Fort Recovery when Walsh turned that tractor over, very, very scary to see in person

Re: Irish Challenger March 26, 2013 09:05AM
I was there that night at Tomah and we thought sure he was killed. It was pretty horrifying. Why in the world would you not have a cage and belt?

Re: Irish Challenger March 26, 2013 11:56AM
[www.youtube.com]
here's the link to the irish challenger crash in fort recovery ohio

Re: Irish Challenger March 26, 2013 12:05PM
[www.youtube.com]
here's the link to randy rose's crash

Re: Irish Challenger March 26, 2013 01:00PM
Back then guys had issues making weight with cages on. They increased the weight classes around the same time the mandatory roll cage came out. I believe it was the year after the tomah roll over. If I remember correctly. I was also there.

Re: Irish Challenger March 27, 2013 03:35AM
tie bars should be inspected and inforced more some are pretty cheaply built looking . wonder if some hold tractor together

Re: Irish Challenger July 18, 2016 02:54PM
What ever happened to the Irish Challenger Pickups

Re: Irish Challenger July 20, 2016 12:24PM
The DEpps of Baraboo bought them from Dan Walsh they are now fast frieght and inches matter and the bad badger is back out as well all run good look good

Re: Irish Challenger July 18, 2016 04:11PM
American Thunder fan
I was also at Fort Recovery when Walsh turned that tractor over, very, very scary to see in person

Walsh's turbine did not go over. It could have but turned sideways and stayed hooked to the sled. That incident was caused by the sled.

The comments by "I know more than you" are about as accurate as could be made about the Rose crash. Very accurate. As for the kill switch......it happened so fast most didn't even see it happen. Had it stayed hooked to the sled it would have probably been just another wild ride.

I witnessed both and the Walsh runaway was something I don't care to ever see again.

Re: Irish Challenger July 19, 2016 08:27AM
Who's tractor split in half at Tomah Somewhere in that same time frame? Remember seeing it on a trailer in the pits. Was IH 460-560??

Re: Irish Challenger July 19, 2016 09:56AM
Larry Lundry from Iowa split in half around 1989 or 1990ish

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) March 26, 2013 11:53PM
There were multiple things that caused Randy's problems that night.

1. Injection pump stuck.
2. Clutch had some issues locking up.

Those two things are what were the main cause. That is what started everything. Once the pump was stuck, with an old Bosch P series pump and a governor on it, you can't just pull the throttle back. You can, but it's still stuck open. On a direct rack system, the slide will just break the ball off of the cup and only 1 cylinder will be overfueling. But will still come back to an idle. So even when his hand slipped off of the throttle, it was wide open, and nothing could be done about that.

The clutch had some issues with locking up. Don't know what caused it. If it was towards the end of adjustment, or something hanging up inside or what. But that's where the hop came from. With the tractor hopping because the clutch didn't fully lock up, and the pump stuck, it was a bad combination. That bouncing is what caused the "saddle" that the drawbar was mounted on to break loose and the drawbar to slide back. That's what started a bad chain reaction of events.

When the nose came up, that wasn't the worst, but finally the hopping caused the drawbar mount to break, and tractor to lunge forward about 2 feet or so, and that's what caused the air shutoff to finally be pulled. Because that distance took up the slack in the kill switch cable. Once that happened, tractor came out of power, and front end slammed down, breaking off the left front tire, causing it to dig into the ground and roll over. That's when the hitch tore out of the back.

Everything happened so fast that you can't point fingers in one area as to it being someone's fault. The drawbar wasn't weak, the mount wasn't bad. It was because of an unforseen chain of breakage that contributed to it. There were even some raising questions as to why the kill switch wasn't pulled. But if you go far enough back in history, there have been pullers who have actually gotten very PO'd at sled operators for pulling their air shut off to soon, before their run was over, while their pump was stuck. I have even seen some DSS competitors years ago come back for a pull off with a stuck plunger in their pump. And have the tractor pushed back to the sled, and not start it until they are under green flag. Just for a chance to place higher or get a better check, or more points. And it was allowed!

Randy was wearing a seat belt at the time. Now, did the seat belt save his life? Or did it cause more damage? That's something that won' be able to be proven. Maybe he would have been thrown off the back of the tractor without a seat belt before alot of this happened? Would that have caused the sled to go over him? We don't know that. But if he would have stayed on, without a seat belt, would he have been thrown from the tractor when it rolled? The seatbelt kept him on the tractor while it was hopping real bad from the clutch and pump. But it also kept him on when he was pinned under the tractor. So which is the right way? Nobody knows or will ever know what was right at the time.

That accident is what caused the roll cage rule. Which is the best thing to have happened safety wise in a long time. There have been multiple roll overs since then. And everyone walked away thanks to a roll cage. Take away the cage and nobody would have "walked" away. It would have been an ambulance ride, and a long hospital stay. I believe Randy was in the hospital for over a month. If not close to two months at the time.

Randy isn't involved in Ricks pulling vehicles. But i believe he does help Rick out with the pull he puts on in Hutchinson MN and might actually be a part of the promotor part of it. Randy owns a repair shop and Rose Trucking in Glencoe Mn.

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) March 27, 2013 03:15AM
Pulling accident

In this case the tractor didnt roll, but i think in the randy rose case, if this would have happened and he was thrown from the tractor it may have saved him some of the injuries he recieved when the tractor rolled on top of him.

They say in this case that the sled operator saved Orvilles life by killing the tractor in time to prevent it from running over him.

Accidents happen in tractor pulling. This tractor went to get a rollcage the next week. Some may complain about the safety rules, but this is exactly why they are as extensive as they are.

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) March 27, 2013 05:07AM
All these accidents are very scary and many lessons have been learned from them.

On a funny note, check this video of a Pulling Accident.

Thanks You,
Justin Bennett

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) March 27, 2013 06:33AM
I was there that day shooting video as well. Very scary incident. I remember thinking how glad I was that the hitch didn't come out (before the new-style hooks) or it may have crushed Orv.

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) March 27, 2013 01:27PM
Didn't Jim Rand's White Fawn turn turtle on him at Bowling Green about 10 years ago?

Re: Rose (Tractor Rollover at Tomah early 90's) March 27, 2013 03:32PM
Yep, it sure did. As I remember it, he got close to the sideline or something, stabbed the brake real hard and it rocked around until it got up on just the right rear rim, which then collapsed, causing it to turn over.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,785, Posts: 229,971, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,049.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009