Face Shields On Drivers' Helmets February 11, 2010 05:43AM
I was just wandering if there were any new rules changes for '10 regarding drivers having to have their face shields down. I fully understand it is minor and might be nit-picking to some, but I was thinking I heard some talk on here after the Wilhite explosion in Alabama last year. I was thinking it was going to be mandatory for all classes just like a neck brace and drivers would be penalized if not "worn correctly." Just curious as I saw some pics where a couple DSS and PS drivers had them up or only partially closed. Once again, I know it is nit-picking to some but just was curious as to whether it ever became rule or just up to the track officials to enfore. Great pics from the Morgans and sucks I can be there in person. Never been to the NFMS but hope to before I die. If my inquiry and thoughts are completely wrong, please forgive me.

Re: Face Shields On Drivers' Helmets February 11, 2010 05:59AM
NTPA made it a rule. Not sure about the others.

Re: Face Shields On Drivers' Helmets February 11, 2010 06:00AM
My sittuation is I can't get a helmet on with the neck brace so what are you suppose to do, I don't wear a neck brace or have my face shield down to closterfobic.

Re: Face Shields On Drivers' Helmets February 11, 2010 06:50AM
lol...that's funny

Re: Face Shields On Drivers' Helmets February 11, 2010 06:49AM
Problem with a lot of visors is that they fog over quite often so drivers will leave em up a bit just to see where they are going, pulling indoors makes it worse with the overhead lighting glaring off the visor! yes it is safer to have them down but not seeing where you are going is a tadd dangerous too?

Re: Face Shields On Drivers' Helmets February 11, 2010 06:59AM
See where you are going? You don't need to do that as long as you land on the beach at Louisville. Point the nose of the tractor "down yonder" and go. But in all seriousness, I understand what you are saying as I have had that (fogging) happen many times while snowmobiling. Then I got a the funds to buy a real snowmobile helmet and it virtually solved all my issues. I just didn't know how stringent the rule was going to be enforced is why I asked. Thanks for the info.

Re: Face Shields On Drivers' Helmets February 11, 2010 10:09AM
no problem! I suspect a person would have less problems in track racing being you have more airflow past the visor? and to think mine is a snell2000 and still fogs like the rest!

Re: Face Shields On Drivers' Helmets February 11, 2010 10:47AM
can you say "hold your breath for 15 seconds"!!!!

Re: Face Shields On Drivers' Helmets February 12, 2010 05:04AM
Use a blower helmet like the dirt track racers use and the problem is solved. Have to install the blower somewhere and attach the hose to your helmet every time, but it will work. Does keep you a little cooler in the summer also.

Re: Face Shields On Drivers' Helmets February 12, 2010 06:19AM
It is a rule in NTPA but the NFMS pull is not NTPA or any other sanctioning bodies. The NFMS enforces their own rules, most from the NTPA rulebook, but their version of that.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,629, Posts: 229,692, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,900.

Our newest member JD_8520