Nitrogen in tires February 15, 2010 03:14AM
I was talking to a couple of the crew members for Wishmeier's prostock and they said they were running nitrogen in their tires now. What's the advantage to this.

Re: Nitrogen in tires February 15, 2010 03:34AM
psi stays stable at varying ambient temp.

Re: Nitrogen in tires February 15, 2010 03:48AM
Interesting thought . How much heat is built up in tire from the start of the pass to the finish and how would this effect tire pressure say on a superstock tractor

Re: Nitrogen in tires February 15, 2010 04:26AM
More has to do with the sun shining on them in the summer, or cold temps in the winter outside. It could change the pressure in the tires a few pounds easily.

Re: Nitrogen in tires February 15, 2010 05:12AM
I've been told that tire pressure can change as much as 1 lb. for every 10 degree temp change. Not sure if its that much, but I've seen my tires gain 3-4 lbs. easily in the summer when the sun hits them.

Re: Nitrogen in tires February 15, 2010 06:07AM
My local GM dealership has offered this for about 2 years now. I had it put in my pickup tires and they never change unlike regular air.

Re: Nitrogen in tires February 17, 2010 11:58AM
Nitrogen is used in the refrigeration industry to prove out newly installed refrigeration circuits. The reason nitrogen is used is because it's pressure characteristic is not influenced by temperature swings like air or refrigerants are........therefore; it's easier to prove out leaks BEFORE hundreds of pounds of refrigerant are put into a multi-circuit refrigeration circuit. I believe nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen molecules, so, that's why it works well in tires. Less influenced by heat from the sun and road travel, so your tires stay cooler and more evenly pressurized, and IF there IS a slow leak, it takes longer for them to go flat. I have been using dry nitrogen in my pickup and trailer tires for a few years now. There's less tire pressure maintenance involved and they run cooler. I have not used it in my tractor tires because of the cost factor. It DOES make sense to use it in your puller tires, but, if you have leaky rims/tire and use an equalizer hose, air is cheaper.

Re: Nitrogen in tires February 17, 2010 11:39PM
NASCAR has been using nitrogen in there tires for ages.

Re: Nitrogen in tires February 18, 2010 02:23AM
And if you are heavy on the front you can balance your truck or tractor by putting just the right amount of helium in your front tires. It works great for us! You could look it up...........

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,731, Posts: 229,864, Members: 3,332.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,984.

Our newest member WestonFarms