Allison Pro Charger March 05, 2010 09:07AM
Working on a Pro Charger(ed) Allison

More info here

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 06:45AM by Sascha.

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 09, 2010 12:37PM
I see the Gompie mini rod team is going to try the same thing on their V-12, Going to take off the 14-71. It will be interesting to see how these 2 tractors fair this summer.

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 10, 2010 12:11AM
They will have to spend A LOT of tuning on their fuel system.....

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 10, 2010 02:15AM
Looks scary!

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 10, 2010 02:02PM
Why doesnt anybody ever slap a couple turbos on these engines?

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 10, 2010 05:48PM
I want to run one of those on a LSS!!

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 10, 2010 07:40PM
It has been done and it will be done again in the future.
Our "problem" is, we run a triple engine tractor and we need to keep the driveability in there. Turbos are bit "on - off" reaction wise and hard to dose on a tractor that can easily overspeed its tires.
The efficiency of these Pro Chargers is at about 89% of a turbo set up.

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 11, 2010 05:12AM
Sacha,

Are these Pro-Chargers more effecient than belt driven superchargers for the power one gains?

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 11, 2010 05:44AM
You mean roots type blowers?
They are supposed to be!
According to the guys running with the Pro Chargers there is about 300 hp advantage over a blower on a V8 engine.
Our EFI guys had one on a 526 cui Arias Century with AJ heads which delivered 2800 hp at 8500 rpm. I have no idea wether this number is true, but I saw their fuel maps and they for sure put A LOT more fuel into that V8 than we can put into our Allisons at the same A/F ratio right now. So we hope to gain some air!

The other disadvantage of a roots type blower is the pretty small air exit on the modern roots blowers. When put on a large V12 as ours it's quite a task to feed more than 8 cylinders at all.

The biggest disadvantage of a roots type blower being in the same range of performance of the Pro Charger is the price. A Pro Charger will sell for + - 5000 US $, a state of the art Kobelco will probably go for more than 10k.

What would be an advantage of a roots type blower is the low end tourque. The centrifugal chargers need some rpms to move air and build boost.

This characteristic requires a way more complex fuel system (the same is true for turbos) for a centrifugal charger (which is why blow-through carburators are so populat with these chargers).
While a roots type blower more or less delivers the same amount of air per engine revolution (and you can simply feed an fixed amount of fuel per revolution through a positive deplacement gear pump to the engine) the Pro Charger needs a fuel system which is sensitive to boost, adding a third factor - which is like going from a two dimensional graph to 3D.

We have the fully programmable EFIs on our engines so we can program towards perfection in (hopefully) a short period of time.

This all is just a test set up, bolted onto / adapted to the original accessory housing, to collect data and see where this all leads to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 07:08AM by Sascha.

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 11, 2010 02:11PM
We have had 2 guys trying to run a pro-charger on a small blk chevy in our mini rod club, and they have had nothing but trouble with the fuel. They would make gobs of power on the dyno, then, once on the track, they go like heck for a ways and die or just load up. never really seen a full pass out of either of them. now they are parked for the most part, A shame really, cause if they just would of put a 8-71 on, they would of been having alot more "fun"!!!

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 11, 2010 07:58PM
guess why we wanted to get the EFI's figured out first Winking

By the way.. there is one guy down under running one a SB with blow through carburator. Maybe an idea to talk to those guys?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 08:01PM by Sascha.

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 12, 2010 11:52AM
Hi Sascha, I'm one of those guy's Perry was talking about with sbc/ Procharger. Could you please get me the email or whatever so I can get in touch with the fellow downunder with the sbc /Procharger? any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 12, 2010 03:46PM
I would really like to see you guys, and the other pro-charger guy, get them running right and come pull. the crowd always love something different as you know. And we like to pull against them heads up as well!!!

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 12, 2010 07:49PM
The ATPA is on Facebook and Trevor Allan should get you in touch with them. I sent him a message to get on here...

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 12, 2010 01:20PM
by following this,a 526 cuin 2 valve at 8500 rpm,moves more air than the allison,at 1710 cuin.are the heads on the allison that big of a restriction to airflow.the allison sure got the v-8's beat for sound though,they are the best.

Re: Allison Pro Charger March 12, 2010 07:26PM
The supercharger in front of the Allison is the "restriction".

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009