duramax programmer March 14, 2010 08:38AM
have read alot of threads for a duramax programmer. ppe vs. edge, alot of good things said about ppe but i like edge having the in cab monitor. I have also been told the edge will only correct tire size on the monitor and not the trucks speedometer, is that true? Was told to upgrade to 4" exhaust but could probly leave stock air filter/intake on. Any opinions?

Re: duramax programmer March 14, 2010 09:34AM
it all depends on what u r looking for. edge is the easiest but if u want power with unlimited tuning options efi live is the way to go

Re: duramax programmer March 14, 2010 09:50AM
Anthony_redmax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it all depends on what u r looking for. edge is
> the easiest but if u want power with unlimited
> tuning options efi live is the way to go

not lookn to get to crazy with the power, dont want to spend money on a clutch or tranny upgrade yet

Re: duramax programmer March 14, 2010 12:31PM
What year duramax? You won't go wrong with either. They both make good programming for the duramax. Most programmers will adjust tire size so your speedo is accurate. Look at the Bulldog GT too, that's also a very popular programmer. If you have a new body duramax there are other options that would include DPF delete programming and exhaust.

Definitely go with the 4" exhaust. We usually install the magnaflow stainless 17902 kit on these, MBRP is also a good option.. Really good sound and will open that truck up. Your choice with or without muffler. The muffler is a straight thru 4" so there is no restriction just your preference on sound.

I can get you a good deal on any of these products drop shipped to your house w/o freight if interested. Or if you have any specific questions maybe I can help. Over half the trucks we work on are duramax's and we all own one at the shop.

[www.trksp.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 12:31PM by AV.

Re: duramax programmer March 14, 2010 12:44PM
No Edge at all, go with ppe or efi live you can get a mild dsp-5 set up and not worry about drivetrain. It depends on the money you want to spend Danville Performace can do efi live very competitive price wise with ppe and you will have more adjustablity and options on your tuneing. I have had my 06 tuned for 75,000 miles no trans up-grades except a trans-go jr. and no other problems its all in the way you drive on the reliablity of the drivetrain.

Re: duramax programmer March 14, 2010 01:00PM
The edge race isn't a bad option for the 2006+, I agree I would prob look at other options over the evolution or juice. The efi live is definitely a good route too like you said.

Any over the counter programmers are going to be just fine on a stock tranny. It also comes down to how you are going to drive it. I have seen people take out a tranny with no programmer. Usually it's the guy behind the wheel not the programmer. If you use your head when you drive, you won't have any issues with the power from any of these programmers.

EGT probe and tranny temp is a nice option to have with your programming if you tow or work your truck. It's nice to keep an eye on how hot things are getting.

Re: duramax programmer March 14, 2010 01:15PM
AV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The edge race isn't a bad option for the 2006+, I
> agree I would prob look at other options over the
> evolution or juice. The efi live is definitely a
> good route too like you said.
>
> Any over the counter programmers are going to be
> just fine on a stock tranny. It also comes down
> to how you are going to drive it. I have seen
> people take out a tranny with no programmer.
> Usually it's the guy behind the wheel not the
> programmer. If you use your head when you drive,
> you won't have any issues with the power from any
> of these programmers.
>
> EGT probe and tranny temp is a nice option to have
> with your programming if you tow or work your
> truck. It's nice to keep an eye on how hot things
> are getting.

Mine is a 2005, sounds like more people like the ppe over the edge, I will be pulling a 12000 lb hot farm all summer long so I deffinetly want gauges for the egt and like i said previously i really like the edges monitor but sounds like the ppe programmer may be better. I looked up the efi live website, not sure if i want to mess with adjusting everything manually. I agree on changing the exhaust what about the intake?

Re: duramax programmer March 14, 2010 01:38PM
If you want something easy for a programmer with a sleek monitor def take a look at the Bullydog GT. It's simple, with good safe power and the monitor is one of the better looking ones on the market. Edge's new CTS monitor is very nice as well. Just comes down to what you like for looks. It sounds like what your are doing with your truck and looking for in a programmer you won't go wrong as they all cover 50hp-120hp over stock and are very user friendly.

As far as intakes our preference is a Stage 2 AFE. I sell any brand of cold airs but just prefer the contruction of the AFE. If your driving conditions are all highway and clean, the dry filter is fine. If you need a little more protection from gravel roads and dust then go with the 5 layer oil route. The oil filter will filter better but one slight set back is they can leave a film on the mass air flow sensor which may need cleaned once a yr or so.

Re: duramax programmer March 14, 2010 02:10PM
the bully dog will also work and it would save you money on gauges, bullydog makes a good towing tuner if your not wanting big power I use all aem air intakes

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 10:05AM
Stay away from bullydog. Terrible quality and terrible customer service. They cost me alot of money and blamed it on my truck. I put an Edge on and it worked with no troubles. I have heard very good things about Edge customer service. I like the Edge because you are not scrambling you ecm.

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 10:52AM
Bullydog has the best customer service of all of the companies I have dealt with and I sell them all and have run into a ton of issues with each company. I am sorry for your experience but it's never that cut and dry. I have had edge programmers freeze trucks up dead and have had to work through the issue. I have had Edge monitors go blank for no reason. There has not been one issue with any programmer that I have encountered with any company that it was not fixed by them or at least taken care of when it was their fault.

This is the one reason a consumer should buy their electronics through a knowledgeable shop with human interaction. An online purchase usually turns out like this when a problem arises and there is no dealer going to bat for you or doing the fixing.

Issues happen to all of the companies and when it comes to electronics and programming there's always a new problem waiting no one could forsee.

Edge had one of the worst failure rates for years through the 2000's. Have they improved? Absolutely. Are they perfect? By no means, none of them are.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 11:34AM by AV.

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 11:02AM
oops...wrong spot... see further down..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 11:03AM by RYAN68.

Re: duramax programmer March 14, 2010 04:34PM
The only problem I have had with the Hot Programmers.. (Hot PPE's, Quads, and others.) is throwing the trans in to limp mode, when they will not spend the money to do some minor upgrades to the trans.. Most of the trucks have been 04.5 and earlier..
But have really like the PPE stuff.. Edge is always a popular seller.. Haven't had a chance to play with the newer BullyDog stuff yet for the Dmax..

Re: duramax programmer March 15, 2010 02:19AM
Anyone have an opinion on the TS. I have one on an 02 and while I like the simplicity of it, I sometimes wish I had more options like tire size, etc. Also, it's supposed to he 100 hp when turned all the way up, but I don't think it feels like it. I feel more power but don't know if it's 100 hp or not. But don't really have anything to compare it to either. If I pull a trailer, (usually hauling show cattle), I usually set it at 50 - 60% and don't have any problems and easily keep up with everyone else which have newer higher horsepower trucks.

Re: duramax programmer March 15, 2010 05:37AM
To get more options you will have to go with a programmer that plugs in the OBDII port.

Adustable tuners are usually good for raw power and sometimes that's about it. Also are great to stack with a compatible programmer to get the benifits of both.

I am not a fan of tuners as a persons first choice but as an additional power source when needed above and beyond what an OBD2 programmer can't do. Tuners are still a great option if more power is what you want.

Re: duramax programmer March 15, 2010 01:14PM
I have stacked the ts mp-8 on mine with my efi live for more power on the go but now that the dsp-5 switch is out for the newer trucks that is all that I run

Re: duramax programmer March 15, 2010 01:25PM
Have you done any dpf deletes? We have had good luck with the H&S's. Talk about waking a choked off truck up. Although those are for off road racing only. Winking

Re: duramax programmer March 15, 2010 02:20PM
Ya I have done a few mostly on power strokes, My cousins LLM is on the chopping block next, yes H&S makes a good system. I will probably do a 5" h&s exhaust on his and then take it to Mark at Danville Performance and have it efi lived like mine, I just cant do without that on a d-max, the 6.4 ps really opens up with the spartan, trueflow intake and h&s exhaust they run wicked that is the set up I do on every project. All my dpf delete trucks are for off road use only, they are never driven on the roadWinking

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 01:57AM
I thought I would ask, since you guys seem pretty knowlegable about this.....I have an '02 Duramax, with a Bullydog Triple Dog programmer installed, I have removed the muffler, but aside form that, the exhaust is stock size, and have a K&N air filter installed, otherwise everything else is stock. I usually run with the programmer on the top setting, as I average about 24mpg this way, but I can easily throw the tranny into limp mode, or have overboost codes come up. Is there any simple upgrades to eliminate these problems? I'm happy with the power it seems to have (although you can never have too much), but these problems are getting really annoying........

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 02:54AM
i say a convertor and a trans go jr at the minumim

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 03:08AM
From what I have seen, the transgo jr. is not available for the 5-speed allison......I was hoping there was something available that didn't involve pulling the tranny....if I have too, i guess i will, but was just wondering if there was any upgrades available for the 5-speed that didn't require dropping the tranny out?

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 05:20AM
There is no trans kit of any sort for the five speed that doesnt require dropping the trans. For that if it was me I would go on ahead and go through it, not sayin you have to build it completely but put clutches in it, and a new converter just put the stock stuff back in if all you do is tow. From a trans shop you can get the clutches at a good price and the converter buy a low end suncoast or just a new stocker. As far as your overboast codes PPE makes a little wireing harness kit that overrides that sensor, or they used to check their web site ppepower.com

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 05:29AM
yeah when it comes to all the little stuff for these Duramaxes, PPE usually has it and they know their stuff. We just went on a cruise with those guys as welll as other suppliers and it was interesting talking to him about some of the things they are working on.

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 05:26AM
PPE has an over boost code eliminator for your LB7.

And you are prob at the point where you need to beef things up on the tranny which will require dropping it. Just remember whaterver you do can push the problem further down the line. Suncoast, ATS, as well as some others are good options for the whole pkg which I know you are trying to avoid.

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 05:31AM
Thanks everyone for your input.....at least i know what i have to do now.....

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 05:50AM
How much will the ATS CoPilot help??
[www.dieselplace.com]

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 11:16AM
Bryan at ATS knows what he is talking about. And if low pressure is your problem this product does help. BUT this is a classic product that can push a problem further down the line.

Buying a product like this is great if you have reached an issue with low pressure with your stock tranny at high power situations and plan to not add any power above your current programming. This does not mean something might not fail later if you keep pushing it. This product can be a temp fix and you could still be looking at a tranny rebuild or replacement later.

If you are planning on going more power down the road just bite the bullet and stick in a suncoast or ats replacement trans and TC if you are currently encountering problems.

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 05:58AM
Tony u just need to buy a fordGrinning

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 06:52AM
Thanks AV and paul06dmax for all your info. I spent several hours on sunday night on a dmax forum and this is what I have came up with for anyone else interested. With the efi live you will have to have the time and knowledge to use it being able to set up different tunes manually or pay someone else to do it, which all is good if your looking for crazy horsepower. Read you can get so much with one of those you would have to do internal engine upgrades if you use it to the max. Thats more than I want, cant afford a pulling tractor and truck both! I started this thread with ppe vs. edge. Everything I read was positive about ppe but they said you can tear a stock tranny up with both. Don't go over +90 rwhp on a stock tranny with any programmer, can jump higher once in awhile to test out but dont leave it there. Originally liked the edge because of the monitor and shift on the fly between programs but found out tire size can only be corrected on the monitor and not the truck speedo, the ppe will correct the truck speedo which i will need and I would probably tear tranny up being able to change levels that easy!! lol As most of you probably know the allison re-teaches its self for shifting according to driving style, tunes, etc. This normally takes 200 miles and shifts like crap for awhile but the ppe has a "learn" function which clears the tranny and teaches itself in a few miles. Like i said before both can tear up a stock tranny but if you plan on tranny upgrade in the future the ppe sounds better in the long run and seems to take care of more codes than the edge and the only gauges that I think need added with regular driving is boost and pyro, alrdy have tach and trans temp etc. The whole forum said to install 4" exhaust that would lower egt's 200 degrees. Most said if your under 500 horse no need to change air intake but if you have a 04.5 or 05 lly like me the turbo mouthpiece is restricted, replace with earlier model, get aftermarket or just port and clean up stock one with die grinder. As stated earlier ppe has alot of small inexpensive item also to help so my overall opinion is ppe really has the dmax stuff figured out. The forum i was reading looked like 80% had ppe, 10% edge, and the other 10% scattered with the other 100 tuners you can buy. So for now I think im planning on a ppe tuner, 4" exhaust, port mouthpiece, a couple of gauges, and maybe a couple of small items ppe also offers. Hope this is helpfull with anyone else asking questions.

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 07:40AM
No prob if you want to check pricing on anything let me know, everything you would want would drop ship @ no freight charge to your house or shop. If you have a local supplier by all means support them. Good discussion all around its good to see what other guys are using, it's easy to get stuck in a rut with the same stuff in a shop.

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 10:32AM
FF.....I may have to jump back a few years and get an IH truck......Can't see myself steppin back far enough to buy a ford....we've already had an '08 at work blow up 4 times in 30,000 miles......

Re: duramax programmer March 16, 2010 11:04AM
What in the world were they doing to blow 4 of them up? 6.4's have been having a pretty good track record compared to the 6.0's...

Re: duramax programmer March 17, 2010 03:15AM
I was driving it myself two of the times....both times just driving down the highway with no load.....first time was a fluke, an injection line blew (and as they run internally), filled the crankcase with diesel fuel, and it locked up.....second time (with a complete new engine)....chucked a rod out of the block....can't remember what happened for sure the other two times.....each time was a complete new engine....have two 6.0L trucks that have head gasket trouble too.....I realize the 6.4L issues is an extreme case, but havent seen too much around this area that makes me want a Ford......I have 270,000 miles on my Duramax, and havent turned a wrench on it yet, except for normal maintainance, and one set of injectors.....

Re: duramax programmer March 17, 2010 07:38AM
When it comes to pulling a trailer, you will not beat the power of the cummins inline 6. FACT! If you are racing them then go with a V-8. This is why all the 18 wheelers have an inline 6. Heck, just look at the inline 6 tractors vs the V-8 tractors! Not trying to stir the pot... but the cummins is a pulling machine!

Re: duramax programmer March 17, 2010 08:12AM
Inline 6 engines are good, but tell me why all large gensets are V8, V12, V16 ect.... Also why all large wheel loaders and large dozers are V configuration engines. Tell me that these engines don't make torque. Guess again.. Also the Cummins is not that great....

Re: duramax programmer March 17, 2010 10:01AM
I would guess that its because of space available.. (application..) Lots off shore stuff, ships, locomotives.. inline..
Bryan

Re: duramax programmer March 17, 2010 12:42PM
I believe most locomotives have a V16 engine. Just fits between the side panels. I have been on a few. Pretty cool to start them up too. Inlines have there place and will always be around, so will V configuration engines. V engines make a ton of power in a compact size. I own them both so I won't say either style is bad. But there is some models of both that are... Smiling

Re: duramax programmer March 17, 2010 01:46PM
i wish some people around here would hook their cummins to a sled instead of trying to race me on the highway. It seems every guy who owns a cummins with exhaust and tuner thinks they r the @#$%& and i eat them alive

Re: duramax programmer March 18, 2010 12:16AM
Im not trying to ruffle any feathers here... but the cummins is rated 500.000 miles medium duty. The duramax is only rated light duty. And less than 500.000. And when I watch the truck pulls I see the cummins win most of the time. Dont get me wrong here... the duramax is one heck of an engine... they make great power. I have some friends with 5th wheel campers.. One has a dodge, one has a duramax. When they go camping, and get in the hills the duramax just cant, and wont, keep up with the cummins. Both are stock.

Re: duramax programmer March 18, 2010 12:34AM
Well I tractor pull with a couple of guys. One Ford, one Cummins and My Duramax. Nobody leaves me. We have to put the Ford in front so we won't leave him behind and listen to him cry like a baby. The Cummins runs good but he is not leaving me I can promise you. When it is just the cummins and duramax, who ever is leading the other is right behind with out any problems, no matter if it is hills or stop lights. I think the Cummins is a great motor, if it wasn't for that Dodge would have went under long ago. I still would not trade my Duramax for a cummins. You talk about the Cummins being rated for 500,000 thousand miles, there is no way a dodge body or frame will be worth a damn with 500,000 miles on it. Heck no truck would be in good shape with that many miles.

Re: duramax programmer March 18, 2010 12:48AM
You are right. Like I said.. i'm not trying to ruffle feathers.... I wish I could have a GMC with a cummins and the allison transmission. That (to me) would be the best possible combo. I love the cummins. I have also seen a few dodge trucks with almost 1,000,000 miles on them. And the motor was never opened up. (so they told me). Sorry this has gotten away from the original post.

Re: duramax programmer March 18, 2010 12:56AM
Here is a video of a duramax pulling a trailer. He made this video so he could use it in court. He did win his case. The video is kind of long, but very interesting. Too bad. I would be really mad if I spent that much money and had this happen to me.

[videos.streetfire.net]

Re: duramax programmer March 18, 2010 01:00AM
[www.streetfire.net]

Re: duramax programmer March 18, 2010 01:18PM
what year of ford are u compareing to what years of dodge and chevy.

Re: duramax programmer March 31, 2010 12:11AM
2006 ford, 2006 dodge, 2001 duramax and 2008 duramax. The ford is a 6 speed the dodge and chevy's are automatics. The guy with the Ford knows how to drive, he just can't keep up.

Re: duramax programmer March 31, 2010 10:56AM
since the duramax has come out in 2001, FORD has gone through how many swing and misses?

7.3 6.0 6.4 and what for 2011??

and the rattle trap of the 5.9 cummins ran out of snot and had to switch to a 6.7

Lets face the facts since 2001 Ford and Dodge have been playing the catch-up and try to keep-up game.

Almost everyone knows that under the same circumstances, a STOCK DURAMAX will out tow a STOCK FORD or a STOCK DODGE any day of the week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for programming any of these trucks it's impossible to compare them side by side when you don't know what the actuall HP or TORQUE is or could be without a wheel dyno.

One last thing in my opinion, trucks are for towing, not drag racing!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 10:57AM by 6030pullr.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009