Turbo Pressures March 14, 2010 12:31PM
If a person was looking at similiar turbos--i.e. -- produce the same horsepower-- but they have different pressures , would there really be any difference or advantage in a 3000 rpm class? Actually it is the same model turbo but built by different companies. Would a higher or lower pressure be of any advantage. I don't have exact pressures to share just know that there is a difference. Thanks in advance.

Re: Turbo Pressures March 14, 2010 03:35PM
Since HP & Torque are what you are after don't get hung up on boost numbers. Don't just look at peak numbers - graph them out from 2000 - 3000 RPM. If peaks are the same one might get fatter down low. If one still doesn't jump out go for the one with lower boost. If it's flowing the air (same power) at lower boost it's more efficient.

Re: Turbo Pressures March 14, 2010 06:15PM
Boost is just a measure of resistance. Nothing more, nothing less.

Re: Turbo Pressures March 15, 2010 05:18AM
You can also make boost with heat.

I assumed they are both on the same engine so the resistance would be the same & he said the HP was the same so from that I concluded that the higher boost also had a higher compressor outlet temp. This is stretching the assumptions pretty thin but that higher temp & pressure could be due to a higher compressor wheel speed which MAY lead to less durability of the turbo & why I said IF everything else is equal I'd go with the lower boost.

If he's trying to compare his buddy's dyno sheet to his then all bets are off although I'd probably still prefer the setup with the lower boost if the torque curves are indeed identical.

Re: Turbo Pressures March 15, 2010 11:47AM
Deere man thanks for the info. I don't have any hard numbers to share just what I was told. Now to open another can of worms. The turbo model is the same but one was built by Hyper and one by CDS. Does that mean much to anyone??

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,670, Posts: 229,762, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,938.

Our newest member JD_8520