Texas Pullers March 15, 2010 01:55PM
I was going through some old boxes and found a notepad that had some names of Texas pullers from the 1980's. These folks pulled with the Lone Star State Truck and Tractor Pullers Association. I even found their old rule book from 1981.Here are the classes, pulles, and name of their puling vehicles. Class weights varied from pull to pull and many times they ran 2 classes with the same tractor, just added weight. Joe Imel was he safety coordinator Apologies in advance for misspellings.

Super Stock 4X4 Trucks:
Matt Mikulenka - Tasmanien Devil
Trip Donegan - Trip's Toy
Royce Bartell - Texas Traveler
Manuel Moreno - Yellow Rose
Mike Davenport - Tasmanien Torker
Lucky wagner - Wrangle Tangle
Johnny Schroeder - Heat Wave

Modified 4X4 Trucks:
Kenneth Popham - Milky Way
Mike Mitchell - Sneaky Snake
Roy Hollan - Texas Bluebonnet
Roy graham - Half Breed
Darrel Mellick - Bounty Hunter
Gerald Duehlm - Ole Yeller
Scott Henry - Ugly Truck

6500 Open Modified Tractors:
Russell Duffin - Great Escape
Gene Mercer - Texas Gambler / Smoky the Bear
Kenneth Popham - Moo Juice
Jimmie Gaspar - Orange Crush
Greg Kunicheck - Thumbbuster
Bruce Gilleland - Foolish Pleasure
Wayne Cochran - Coyote Chaser
Pat McCormic - LaMachine
Dusty Davis - Texas Sting
Rodney Jones - Sidewinder I
Bill Ellis - General Lee
Andrew Anderson - Crazy Lady

9500 Open Modified Tractors:
Weldon Gillelon - Oso Negro (awesome tractor)
Clifford Smith - Ole Blue
Ronnie Hurteg - Hopeless Case (Allison Aircraft)
Warren Dewesse - Gold Digger

13,500 Prostock Tractors:
James Dietz - Massey Ferguson - Bertha
Ted Brandt - 1466 International
Pete Boenig - AC D21 - Grandma
Henry Schorsch - Ford - Father's Pride
Roger Bading - JD- Bullfrog
Scooter Elliott - International - Heartbreaker II

In 1983 at the LaGrange, TX pull in 1983, Stan Burton's Stan's Steel Mule came and pulled and won the class.

I am still digging out newspaper clippings, programs, and pictures, so I hope to have them on soon.

Re: Texas Pullers March 15, 2010 02:47PM
What happened to most of these tractors/trucks???
I know Brandt's still have their tractor.. The Bullfrog tractor.. (was, if the parts sold??) And I know where Bob Harrlow's Boog Red is.. but did the rest get sold.. or still sitting in barns???
Guessing the Lone Star Pullers pulled in the southern/central part of the state???

Re: Texas Pullers March 15, 2010 02:54PM
Yes they did pull in the South. I know that Ted Brandt has pulled with one of the antique associations. Couldn't tell you much more than that.

Re: Texas Pullers March 15, 2010 03:05PM
Yes.. I met Ted & Ryan pulling Antiques.. Great people... Only see them once or twice a year, since there are now more Antique organization around the state... Hope to see them out pulling the 66 some day...

Re: Texas Pullers March 15, 2010 03:56PM
Where did Bob Harlows tractor Booger Red go? Thanks

Re: Texas Pullers March 16, 2010 01:52AM
I believe the original booger red chassis went to NE. The booger red 2 is still in TX running with the outlaws.

Oso Negro March 16, 2010 05:30AM
Oso Negro has 3 chevy's on it and runs with the Outlaw's. They also ran indoors this winter in Austin.
I finally met the father/son team, Weldon and Brandon Gilleland, in Taylor last year, they are nice folks and hope to run against them for many years.

Re: Oso Negro March 16, 2010 06:04AM
His brother used to pull a second tractor. Also Ken Popham started driving Moo Juice, but passit it over to one of his sons.

Re: Oso Negro March 16, 2010 01:31PM
The word Means Black Bear it is spanish to best of my knowledge OSO is spanish for bear. Still a solid running tractor in Outlaws.

Re: Texas Pullers March 16, 2010 05:52AM
I'm probably thinking of the Second tractor.. (I Actually didn't know there were 2.) Its the tractor that is pulling out of TX.. Usually pulls with the Outlaws.. Texas Thunder.. Brady Marrow's tractor..

Re: Texas Pullers March 16, 2010 07:36PM
I bought Booger red around 2000 and it came to WI. I ran it for two years and then sold it to a freind then it ended up with my sister it is now being run by my no good brother en law just kidding. He's not that bad? Ill try and get my sis to put some pics up to see what it looks like now. Allisons Rule!

Re: Texas Pullers March 16, 2010 09:02AM
Is this the sidewinder 1 driven by Rodney Jones?

Re: Texas Pullers March 17, 2010 06:04AM
Unfortunately no, I will see if I have a picture of it and then I'll post it.

Re: Texas Pullers March 16, 2010 02:01PM
The 4250Bullfrogg that runs with TTTPA was built from the original bullfrog. I am very intrested in seeing and hearing more about the Lonestar Pulling group.

Re: Texas Pullers March 16, 2010 02:57PM
cmetting...
Do you have pic of the tractor when you got it?? or was is pretty stripped down from way back when.. Just interested to see what it looked like 20yrs ago...
I saw you had some parts for sale.. I hope it stays local, and someone builds another tractor out of it.. Looks like there might be a good class this year, if some tractors get finished.. the more the merrier...
Bryan

Re: Texas Pullers March 16, 2010 03:15PM
I do have one of it pulling. Do not know were the pull was at.Will see if my wife can possibly post it.

Re: Texas Pullers March 18, 2010 04:17AM
I scanned some old newspaper articles that I had of the LSTTPA, but I can not post them as .pdf's. Any ideas how I can get them down in size?

bob1230's Pics 1 March 18, 2010 09:18AM
First try.. they are a little fuzzy from all the transfers.. here goes..

Re: bob1230's Pics 2 March 18, 2010 09:20AM

Re: bob1230's Pics 3 March 18, 2010 09:27AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 09:28AM by JDGnut.

Re: bob1230's Pics 4 March 18, 2010 09:34AM
The Best I could do for now.. Thanks for the picture bob...
Bryan

Re: bob1230's Pics 4 March 21, 2010 07:00AM
Guys,thanks for the neat old pictures.I remember several of these pullers.I hope that pulling makes a come back in Texas.

Re: Texas Pullers March 19, 2010 06:23PM
WHAT ABOUT NELSON CRUST BUSTER AND NELSON/ZAJICEK'S DUST BUSTER MOD TRACTOR ANY PICTURE OF THEM THANKS

Re: Texas Pullers March 20, 2010 11:15AM
Nelson and Zajicek were just getting out high school and stiill chasing girls werent pulling yet in 1981 and 1982

is there any real pulling in texas? March 20, 2010 05:23PM
hey all im a transplant for the time being in texas and couldnt find, or didnt know is there was any high caliber superfarm or multi- engine (blown) mods that hit the big state.....not interested in 466ci limit or econo mod brush pulling..... but id like to hit a pull down here jus to say i did before i head back north next yr, thanks

Re: is there any real pulling in texas? March 21, 2010 06:07AM
There's not much beyond that.. Outlaw's usually have 3 events in TX each yr.. (DeLeon, Wightright and Taylor) The TTTPA have 8-9 events each yr, but their tractor class is a 466 class.. ( 466, 4K RPM's, 24.5, GT42.. (They have a web site with the rules tttpa.com) This is the first real come back for pulling in TX since it died 20+ yrs ago.. the only other pulling has been Antiques.. Diesel trucks are also starting to take off...
There are pullers out of TX, but they have to travel along ways to pull with the other organizations.. Hopefully someday it will grow beyond the point that it was...

Re: is there any real pulling in texas? March 21, 2010 06:20AM
Outlaws TAYLOR TEX June 26 27 WHITEWHRIGHT TEX July 2nd and 3rd DE LEON Aug 6th and 7 th

Re: is there any real pulling in texas? March 21, 2010 08:34AM
thanks for the info guys.... maybe ill make an attempt to hit an outlaw event, im curious to see what it is their guys are always crying about on here and see if their equipment matches their reasons for complaining.....

Re: is there any real pulling in texas? March 21, 2010 01:19PM
Deleon is a good pull.. Two sleds, the TTTPA guys and the Outlaws.. It is usually a 3 day pull.. (Thurs-Sat) Outlaw have only had one diesel class at most of the TX events.. It has been the ProStock class.. I have not seen the schedule for the Outlaws to see what classes will be at the TX events this year.

Re: is there any real pulling in texas? June 15, 2011 12:42PM
Stumbled across this post ... maybe to late for interest but My father brother and I were very active in LSSTTPA during the dates that your mentioning.... we owned the following rigs

original:
Orange Crush ( mod tractor )
River City Hustler(kenworth)2WD
San Antonio Stroll ( econo Tractor)
Texas Twister 2wd...

we pulled with most of the guys mentioned and did pull with Garion Nelson (Crustbuster) and Donald and Neal with Dustbuster
I remember all the tractors and truck you all mentioned very vividly including Burce Gilliand (Weldon's (oso's ) brother who ran the Foolish Pleasure it had JD sheet metal ... very nice tractor we have alot of pictures... thanks to all who remember those times...

E.T. Hughey

Re: is there any real pulling in texas? February 08, 2022 05:48AM
Was Ed Govro from texas. I know some big mod names from texas were texas bullwhip and the texas funny farmer.

Re: is there any real pulling in texas? February 08, 2022 01:57PM
Ed Govro was from St. Genevieve Missouri.
At one time he ran a triple engine mod with 2 blown chevys & 1 briggs & stratton.

Re: Texas Pullers July 05, 2011 04:33AM
Love the information provided. I am Jennifer Mellick, daughter of Darrel Mellick. I grew up going all over to race the Bounty Hunter with my dad. I would love any pictures that someone may have. Good times and great people.
Thank you again.

Re: Texas Pullers March 20, 2014 03:34AM
bob1230
I was going through some old boxes and found a notepad that had some names of Texas pullers from the 1980's. These folks pulled with the Lone Star State Truck and Tractor Pullers Association. I even found their old rule book from 1981.Here are the classes, pulles, and name of their puling vehicles. Class weights varied from pull to pull and many times they ran 2 classes with the same tractor, just added weight. Joe Imel was he safety coordinator Apologies in advance for misspellings.

Super Stock 4X4 Trucks:
Matt Mikulenka - Tasmanien Devil
Trip Donegan - Trip's Toy
Royce Bartell - Texas Traveler
Manuel Moreno - Yellow Rose
Mike Davenport - Tasmanien Torker
Lucky wagner - Wrangle Tangle
Johnny Schroeder - Heat Wave

Modified 4X4 Trucks:
Kenneth Popham - Milky Way
Mike Mitchell - Sneaky Snake
Roy Hollan - Texas Bluebonnet
Roy graham - Half Breed
Darrel Mellick - Bounty Hunter
Gerald Duehlm - Ole Yeller
Scott Henry - Ugly Truck

6500 Open Modified Tractors:
Russell Duffin - Great Escape
Gene Mercer - Texas Gambler / Smoky the Bear
Kenneth Popham - Moo Juice
Jimmie Gaspar - Orange Crush
Greg Kunicheck - Thumbbuster
Bruce Gilleland - Foolish Pleasure
Wayne Cochran - Coyote Chaser
Pat McCormic - LaMachine
Dusty Davis - Texas Sting
Rodney Jones - Sidewinder I
Bill Ellis - General Lee
Andrew Anderson - Crazy Lady

9500 Open Modified Tractors:
Weldon Gillelon - Oso Negro (awesome tractor)
Clifford Smith - Ole Blue
Ronnie Hurteg - Hopeless Case (Allison Aircraft)
Warren Dewesse - Gold Digger

13,500 Prostock Tractors:
James Dietz - Massey Ferguson - Bertha
Ted Brandt - 1466 International
Pete Boenig - AC D21 - Grandma
Henry Schorsch - Ford - Father's Pride
Roger Bading - JD- Bullfrog
Scooter Elliott - International - Heartbreaker II

In 1983 at the LaGrange, TX pull in 1983, Stan Burton's Stan's Steel Mule came and pulled and won the class.

I am still digging out newspaper clippings, programs, and pictures, so I hope to have them on soon.

Re: Texas Pullers March 20, 2014 05:03AM
Hi guys, my names Ryan and im the grandson of Royce Bartels with the Texas Traveller pulling truck. We currently have the original Lone Star sled that was used and it is still used today for antique tractor pulling in Burton, Texas once a year for our annual tractor pull. We aquired the sled and rebuilt it after sitting many years. It actually is about to get a new paint job this week for our upcoming pull in April. My grandfather has told me many stories of most of the pullers listed and we still have his original truck. We also have Mike Mitchells Truck "Sneaky Snake" (which is how i found this forum) and we also bought Matt Mikulenkas truck to keep it from being scrapped. One of our family friends, Lucky Wagners father, RP wagner passed away a couple years ago who had the Wangle Tangle truck which is still being pullled to this day by a guy named Russell Messecar. It has pulled at deleon and other pulls the last few years. If anybody has any additional pictures of any trucks or tractors it would be greatly appreciated if yall could post them. The ol Texas Traveller is currently sitting unnder the shed and the sneaky snake truck is actually a project of mine right now. Im currently building it into a mud truck, and it is still going to be named the same just because its one of a kind. My family has been in pulling way before i was born and im hoping to get one of my grandfathers later trucks running again for a truck pull in Hallestville Texas in july. If anyone has questions about the sled or would like to come see it still goin at it feel free to email me at rguerrero269@gmail.com.

Re: Texas Pullers March 20, 2014 05:41AM
Ryan,

Was wondering what happened to the old sled. Are you going to keep the original paint scheme? I don't know if you follow on facebook, but there is a page called "Lonestar Truck and Tractor Pullers". A lot of the old pullers and family have posted pictures and also Curtis Branesky has posted some videos. Curtis' dad pulled the economy class tractor Plum Crazy.

Re: Texas Pullers March 24, 2014 02:53AM
Yes we have kept the original red white and blue. It has been modified slightly for antique tractor pulling. We have put wheels in the pan that we control hydraulically so all size tractors could pull it, mainly making it easier for smaller tractors. I'll try and get some pictures today and post them on here or either the Facebook page. I haven't found the page yet but I'm still looking. What is your Facebook name because it could make it easier for me to find the page. And I have heard of the plum crazy tractor and many more.

Re: Texas Pullers July 24, 2015 01:25PM
Here are a few from those days.

Re: Texas Pullers July 24, 2015 01:29PM
more

Re: Texas Pullers July 24, 2015 01:39PM
Ol' Blue- Roy Hollon, Mike Mitchell, Jerry Janke- Ole Yeller- Dusty Davis(TX Sting)

Re: Texas Pullers July 24, 2015 01:43PM
Orange Crush, Gold Digger

Re: Texas Pullers February 05, 2022 07:32AM
Royce Bartell's "Texas Traveler" was a 1963 Chevy custom 10, black in color . Mike Mitchell " Sneaky Snake was a kid 70s GMC, black and Lucky Wagner's " Wangle Tangel was a mid 60s Dodge.

Re: Texas Pullers February 24, 2023 09:44AM
Hey y'all! I'm Bob Harlow's granddaughter. If any of you have any videos or pictures of my Pop pulling can y'all please share them with me?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,620, Posts: 229,677, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,065, Posts: 225,892.

Our newest member JD_8520