Farm stock rules that work March 15, 2010 01:59PM
Looking for farm stock rules that more than one person can agree on. Does anyone have any success stories? Is this idea just not ever going to happen anywhere? Please help with good ideas.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 15, 2010 02:14PM
best thing to level the playing field in stock classes is a speed limit. the only thing now to argue is where to set it. I think 10 or 12 mph is good, too slow gets boring, any faster, safety comes into play. I also like cast center wheels, but that is me. Ed.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 15, 2010 02:37PM
I agree with the idea of the speed limit. It would level the class with the least amount of tech.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 15, 2010 02:42PM
look at the different classes on this website. farm stock speed limit is a good way to go

[www.steelcitypullers.org]

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 15, 2010 03:15PM
Speed limits level it out some. Gets everybody closer. But even with a 10mph limit the tougher ones will still win. I use to win in 7 mph classes all the time. High 2 low side idling down the track then wind er out and throw it ahead when the weight hits, still put 15 ft on everyone. The only way is to dyno each one. Then people would take ptos out and call them a western bare back tractor. The best way is just kick out the 1st thru 4th tractors and make em run hot farm

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 15, 2010 05:01PM
There used to be a farmstock pull here that would run 2 sets of classes. The first set of classes were determined by weight and horsepower rating. The second set were open, no speed limt classes. All tractors had to have a fuctioning PTO, no exceptions. No cut tires allowed.

6500lbs STOCK- Tractors rated at 65hp or less can pull

6500lbs- Open to any tractor that can make 6500lbs

8500lbs STOCK- Tractors rated 85 hp or less

8500lbs- OPEN

10500lbs STOCK- Tractors rated at 105hp or less

10500lbs- OPEN

12500lbs STOCK- Tractors rated 125hp or less

12500lbs- OPEN

14500lbs STOCK- Tractors rated at 145hp or less

14500lbs- OPEN

16500lbs Open to all tractors.

As long as tractors met the rules the could pull both classes. The rules were enforced without exception. They would get 40-50 tractors in a class and payback was 100%.

They ran it that way for over 30 years. Maybe 10 years ago they switched to speed limits in the stock classes and went with the now more typical PACE- NON PACE set.

They still get a good turnout but not like they used to. Im not sure if they went to a speed limit for insurance purposes or some other reason. But I do remember watching those 12,500-16,500 OPEN classes and you were guaranteed to see a real show!

Just thought Id throw my 2 cents in, These rules may be too old fashioned for highly modified "STOCK" tractors that pull today

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 15, 2010 05:19PM
I think you need a speed limit (10 or 12mph) and a rule that states no throttle advancement or shifting after 150 feet. Otherwise, you'll have tractors that should be in a higher class idling down the track and running 20+ mph wheel speed when they start spinning. The real stockers won't have a chance. The club needs a class that's a little hotter than Farm Stock so these more modified tractors have a place to pull, and stay out of Farm Stock.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 16, 2010 10:46AM
The only truely fair way is to dyno at peak horsepower.....we have done this in
central ohio for years. anywhere between 20-35 tractors per class...set your hp,
bolt on your hitch,get the weight right,run the right track and gear and have alot
of fun.....beware of dyno pulls that pull to rated rpm on the dyno....northwestern
ohio does this.....we set up 5 tractors that had a high idle of about 550-560 pto
rpm....and won every class.....they were only pulling down to 540 pto rpm and reading
the hp. funny how a tractor showed 68hp in a 12,000lb 120hp class....i then convinced
the dyno operator to pull it down to 520pto rpm and it showed 280hp.....bottom line is
a dyno pull done to peak horsepower is the ONLY fair tractor pull you will ever get.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 16, 2010 10:48AM
by the way....no pto....no money.....you just donated to the winners

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 16, 2010 11:07AM
The dyno is the easiest thing in the world to cheat plus if the operator favors anyone then the rest of the class is screwed. The best thing to happen to farm pulling is the speed limit. It is the same for everyone and you don't need to do a bunch of teching that you probably can't find anyone qualified to do properly any way. If you want lower horse tractors to be more competitive then have a class with a lower limit like 6 mph. I am getting tired of pullers getting on here complaining that the higher horse tractors still win, remember this is a tractor pull not tractor parade the guy that goes the extra effort to have more power and have the right set up should win, after all why else would we do all this for. And it doesn't matter what set of rules you use those are still going to be the people that will come out ahead so why not keep it simple.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 16, 2010 02:10PM
An R8606 Isspro rpm sensor is also a good idea, to monitor rpm going down the track. The dynos are pretty much not used at pulls around here anymore, in IL. Speed limits aren't just to level the field out, but also for safety reasons. No need for safety equipment on farm stock tractors, but some I've seen run are hot enough, they should have it. Never want anyone getting hurt.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 16, 2010 02:35PM
I would have to agree that a Dyno is not the best way to go. too cumbersome and too much room for error on the dyno operator. The speed limit is quick and easy to monitor. I understand that the faster the speed limit the more it favors higher hp tractors, so naturally a slow speed limit is needed for very stock tractors and a little faster for the hot stockers, etc.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 02:09AM
Whats wrong with running a stock appearing pump, and a box 3lm charger, with stock cubic inch.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 02:56AM
To slow these farm stock guys down all you need to do is make them all run the OEM turbo that comes FROM THE FACTORY ON THERE MAKE AND MODEL. DO NOT ALLOW FACTORY REPLACEMENT TURBOS!!!!!! For instants try running a 13MM rotary w/ to4 on a IH and lets see them try to run 3rd gear high range pulling one of the Ironman sleds. THIS WILL SLOW THEM DOWN WITHOUT PUTTING SPEED LIMIT RULES IN THE CLASSES!!!!!!

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 03:24AM
No one measures cubic inch and no one is an expert on the type of turbo or replacement turbo that all tractors came with and no one can prevent some one sending a stock turbo out and having it reworked to make big air but still appear stock. speed limit is the only way to go that is easy, quick, enforceable and fair to all

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 04:19AM
If there are guys that want to send a stock turbo and get it reworked, let 'em. There still going to have the same results, the To4 turbo reworked or not, will never perform like a 3lm, been there done that. And as far as cubic inches, you can build as big a motor you want, if the motor can't get the air it needs, its worthless.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 05:16AM
I've been going to pulls since 1971 & it's always been the same. Guys who want to bring their farm tractor to 1 or 2 pulls a year always have to go up against some tractors who never go to the field. I get the turbo point, but. A 4430. to-4, 3le, & 3lm-249. All used from the factory at various times. Who's qualified to i.d. every turbo/ model combiation.? Expect to see a lot of 6030's in that class. Speed limit? Certainly the radar technology today makes this more appealing than the old lawn mower with a flag, where the winner was the guy who could idle his tractor back the most without stalling it & thus let the pace tractor get a 100' in front of him. If you're serious about a truly factory stock tractor competing then you have to be realistic about the speed. No 125 horse 12,000 lb. tractor is going to run 10 or even 7 m.p.h. down the track. When NTPA ran a pace tractor in the early years it was 8 m.p.h. But if you set it realisticly in the 4-5 m.p.h. range you have to accept the fact that it's a pull for the participants & friends, not a pull to draw spectators. As I said, I don't have the answer.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 05:42AM
Sounds like a few green guys, people unhooking it from the baler and wanting to go pulling, or people wanting glorified tractor parade that dont want to spend any money are tired of getting beat.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 10:08AM
Spoken like a true A -ole with a torque

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 11:45AM
You are wrong I don't care what the charger is cubic inches will still come out ahead unless their is no rpm limit. The bigger the cubes the more torque.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 11:41AM
A good stock appearing pump will cost as much as or more than a 13mm P pump plus allowing P pumps levels the playing field instead of giving the advantage to the inline pump tractors. The 3lm charger I don't have a whole lot of problem with. I would like to know how you expect to police a cubic inch rule at an unsanctioned farm pull.

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 01:51PM
That is hillarious" Giving the advantage to the inline tractors" You don't give a hoot about the advantage when you pull your torque or quad down or the fact that an IH runs more RPM stock than any other tracror but make you stay with what it was built with, then all the sudden it's not fair anymore. You ( and I mean anyone thats of the same mentallity ) are the same people that won't let a bigger factory cube engine pull with your special 466 class .The farm pulls will never be as good as they were back in the day before people had the money to do what they do to them to win.
Say what you want about stock pulls being boring, but when you are that stock puller that is the biggest thing to you or that 13 year old thats pulling for the first time and you have to explain to him/her the fact that people like to be the big fish in a little pond. That is what other classes are for.
If who ever you are and you don't under stand that then maybe you should go back to school and figure out how to get some respect for the others in this sport.
Besides if your JD is pulling D 1&2 or your IH is or had different gears put in it to look like your pulling 2 when really your pulling a fast 3 or any of the strait stick tractors are pulling 1 gear under road gear than you should not be in the "STOCK CLASS"
Hope your happy for ruining it for kids and adults alike because you don't have the balls to move up to the next class

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 01:56PM
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Sanding ovation for a stock puller!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well Said!

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 02:03PM
Quit your whining, you think that because of your inability to build a competitve tractor we all ought to be penalized and brought down to your level of performance, well why don't you step up to ours and quit complaining.

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 02:09PM
very well put farm stock puller .... Beer

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 02:14PM
In my experience the guys who want to open the entry level FARM STOCK class are the ones who can't win with a stock tractor and they can't win when they go up to the next level. That's just my experience

Re: time and time again March 18, 2010 01:24AM
thats the truth

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 02:11PM
Everything I build wins. I know that sound arrogant but so far (fingers crossed) it has happened. I follow the rules and my tractors are usually the smallest cubic inch in the class. The red ones hate to see a blue one coming. My opinion here has nothing to with my tractor. It has to do with sustaining the sport. No matter how good you feel about yourself for beating up the little guy you are killing the sport by discouraging the kids to try it.
On the higher levels of the sport I say run what you brung and hope you brung enough. Just not at the entry level.

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 02:24PM
I'm not discouraging anyone from the sport of tractor pulling but this is a competitive sport and is going to remain so. As far as the future of tractor pulling we have the best tractor numbers at stock pulls the last few years that we have ever had. And there is no reason you can't put that kid you keep talking about on a good tractor that has a chance to win. If you are so concerned about parading around in your stock tractor and looking good I'm sure your town has a parade some time this summer you could participate in.

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 02:28PM
WHat exactly is it that you pull?

Re: No answer OLD WAY March 17, 2010 02:34PM
I'll bet it's a red oneDrinking

Re: No answer OLD WAY March 17, 2010 02:38PM
Yes it is.

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 02:36PM
open farm and 8,10,and12 mph classes

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 02:29PM
hahahaha thats a good one Grinning

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:30PM
You just don't get it do youConfused
When you grow up you might figure it outEye RollingEye Rolling

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:33PM
Whats funny is that you make your snarky remarks and and post the rolling eyes but its obvious that you are happy with yourself for pulling a non-stock tractor in a stock class........ What does that make you?

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:38PM
OLD WAY I am pulling a stock tractor why else would I be responding to this thread

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:42PM
Is it red and full of "performance parts"?

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:38PM
no reason to get too cranked up about this stuff. we all pull cause we like it and there are really 2 or 3 different legitimate levels in the local pulling circuit. you got stock guys 4-6 mph, 10-14 mph turned up and tuned up and slightly enhanced, and then you got all out pullers running say 18-20 mph but not quite a limited pro. you have to have something separating them. ya cant run near road gear tractor against a farm stocker... so the speed limit is easy and effective. don't get pissed just go in the class you need to be in and have a good time

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:41PM
wat about the 28 to 30 mph class ?

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:44PM
lol.. that would be beyond the local stuff. I would put that in a limited pro catagory

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:46PM
open class is open......

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:50PM
Exactly! I love the open class! iF LOOKS STOCK PULL IT! What drives me nuts is the guy with an open class tractor dropping to the pace class to whoop up on some kid with a farm tractor, and then running around bragging like he did something great! That really grinds my gears! lol

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:55PM
There is another color, dont count us out , mph. is the equalizer

[s44.photobucket.com]

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:46PM
That is the most sensible post I've seen for a while, the speed limit is what divides them.

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:43PM
How stock is a nascar stock car? No difference, you take the set of rules or lack there of and do what is allowed and necasary. There is nothing stock about it. If you can,t compete stay home.

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:47PM
A nascar stock car is at the top level of performance. Its like a grand national super farm (1 turbo tractor) hooking in the same class as 4440 that is farm stock. WHich apparently you would do if you could get away with it.

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:50PM
You are right I will do that every chance I get, I love beating them green tractors.

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:52PM
But when a blue one shows up with a genesis and the stock p pump you wet yourself and cry FOWL!

I think our TRUE COLORS are starting to show through Hot

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:55PM
wat happen to stock puller mommy must have made him got to bed lol....

Re: not yet March 17, 2010 03:05PM
No just getting tired of beating my head against a wall trying to make you understand the difference between Stock and CHEATING

Re: not yet March 17, 2010 03:09PM
AHA! the C word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im glad someone finally said it! CHEATER!!! Of course if there are no rules where you pull then its not cheating..... just cowardice.......... The other C word

Re: not yet March 17, 2010 03:16PM
You are a moron how do you figure winning is cowardice. I'm sorry that you chose to pull ford tractors and now you can't compete and everyone that does is cheating. Maybe you need a change of color. Hey your 5000 will probably fit in a 3mph antique class somewhere.

Re: not yet March 17, 2010 03:23PM
Whats funny is that with every post you burn yourself. Not pulling open when you are obviously not stock is the cowardice. And yes winning when you know you arent stock is cowardice......... And you never did say what tractor you are running....... Why is that?

On a serious note it is sad that you think what you are doing is so great. Do you tell the guys you are pulling against that you are stock?

Re: not yet March 17, 2010 03:26PM
Anybody who has been around pulling very long knows what those blue ones will do. I'm sure they are probly the reason you started cheating. I dont have to defend my tractor. I just run it.

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 03:13PM
Speaking of mommy making someone go to bed where did you go

Re:Hey 1150 MF grab farm stock puller March 17, 2010 03:47PM
MF person you should grab the other person on here that thinks its cool to beat up on truly stock tractors and go to pulls together that way you will at least have someone to talk to. Then maybe at night you can tell each other bedtime storys about how great you each are

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 03:02PM
You better bring more than that.

Re: Kind of thick headed March 18, 2010 01:29AM
old way where you from tell the truth.

Re: Kind of thick headed March 18, 2010 09:58AM
New York State

Re: Kind of thick headed March 19, 2010 12:54AM
west east or central

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 02:39PM
that was mature.

Re: Kind of thick headed March 17, 2010 03:01PM
That coming from someone that can't seem to evolve into the next level of pulling.
Your statement about inline pump tractors not being fair to pull against is kind of ironick don't you think considering you have done and made just about every statement to prove that you are one of those red guys that wants it his way only AND to prove it I'll stay in the FARM STOCK CLASS

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 02:17PM
It's not whining or complaining it's stating a fact.Spinning You don't go to the feild with your tractor the way you set it up to pull and win, and if you say you do you are lying.Eye Popping
I have been around long enough to spot people like you at a pull that can't build your engine or tractor good enough to go to the next level .
So you just stay here swimming in circles looking for the next FARM PULL to go to so you can show off your inabillity to go where you belong.SmokingHope your happyGrinningGrinning

Random Statement about farm stock pulling March 17, 2010 02:26PM
When we take a farm stock tractor to a pull,
1. We turn up the pump
2. We weighted for the class start in
3. We set tire pressure
4. We slide the doughnut drawbar in the stock hitch slot.
Thats what farm stock pulling is....................... It shouldn't be about who can spend the most and still have his tractor look stock when its not running...

The real problem is that when they pull stock you really find out which manufacture built the best machine. And nothing makes red and green madder than when a blue or orange one just runs better stock.

Re: Random Statement about farm stock pulling March 17, 2010 02:54PM
I figured out your problem old way, the only way your ford can compete is if you make us red and green tractors stay completely stock because you can't figure out how to make your ford run at any other level.

Re: Random Statement about farm stock pulling March 17, 2010 03:00PM
Lolz, thats kinda moronic coming from the guy who pulls his non stock tractor with the farm stockers. My personal tractor pulls the open class and my little blue 4 cylinder will compete with anything in the class. Including these so called 360 ih's with thier 560nrear ends and a pumps.
MY DADS 8000 that we plow with will beat even the 1066 in the class with 540, 13mm rotary and his "drop the hammer to 4500rpm" style of pulling. I have nothing to prove when it comes to winning

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 02:34PM
Stock tractors belong in the field not on the pulling track. We are out there to compete and put on a show for the crowd and there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it the best you can. I definately think there should be different levels in pulling but even the entry level should require a little effort. You are a good example of what is wrong with this country anymore every one wants everything given to them and they don't want to put the sweat into it. I have put a lot of time and money in my tractor to try and be the most competitive I can be and If you can't keep up sorry about your luck.

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 02:41PM
Actually whats wrong with this country is people who think they shouldnt have to follow rules. They think the rules should be changed for them personally. (thats you) Why dont you put up a big sign at the next FARM STOCK pull that you go to that reads "Stock tractors belong in the field not on the pulling track." thats a good quote for a FARM STOCK class. ITS A FARM STOCK CLASS GENIUS!!! If you dont know that translate as farm tractors that are stock!
Do you know what the price of milk is right now? Alot of farmers and kids dont have the disposable income to "build something that competes"
and they wouldnt have to if you would grow a set and go in the class you belong!

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 02:59PM
Actually I don't want the rules changed for me, matter of fact I'm in favor of no rules but whatever they are I am going to give it all I've got and if that is a problem with you I really don't care. And if you can't afford to play then stay home or find a different sport like maybe golf or something like that.

Re: Isn't that funny March 17, 2010 03:07PM
What is funny to me is that I do pay, I play at the next level. You seem to be the one who wont do that....... I pull open. I have stock cu in, stock pump, and an add on turbo for my 5000. I pull the next level because i get no pleasure in handing out a beating to a stock tractor who is starting out and learning the sport in the stock class. I get pleasure out of beating the guys like you who spend 3 times as much and i can still beat. Its sssssoooooooooooooo much fun!

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 05:14AM
that's how we've fixed it:
1.25 inch inlet - 200 hp... period. You try to make more - you get even darker smoker

Check the pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tractorpulling.sascha/200HpLimit#

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 07:22AM
speed is the only way to regulate the playing field. to fast horse power wins 99% of time to slow the fair loses money and there no more pulls . have to find the middle set the limit and thats it. boths sides willnever agree. for stock stock line them up per class open the throttle for min 10 to15 minutes before each class starts the ones remaining are your stock ones SIMPLE.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 10:35AM
I guess I don't agree with speed limits cause when you go to the field do say well I can only pull this field cultivator, plow, or whatever at 3 miles per hour ? No you pull it as fast as your tractor will pull it without doing damage to your implemnent or tractor ( without being stupid ). As far as farm stock goes there really is no such thing, how many tractors at pulls actually get used not very many most just look stock. Think about how many tractors that are in the field doing work everyday that have the fuel turned up so they can pull the field cultivator better etc. Just think about how many John Deere 4020's and Farmall 806's are out there with add-on turbo's too that are putting out way more horsepower than stock and are still in use today. I agree to limiting turbo, fuel pump, rpm, and tire size but speed limits are well quit frankly boring. I pull farm stock too and I hate speed limits I'd rather pull without them and get my butt kicked at least it's fun. These are just my thoughts.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 11:08AM
why does everyone think that you need a pto? it was an option on all international 66 series tractors along with 3pt hitch! just have a 10 mph 3000 rpm limit and check the rpm's on the top three if your over your dq very simple!

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 11:39AM
u guys keep crying about farmstock i wished they were all run what u brung and hope u brung enough .......Hot

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 11:54AM
The reason you should have a a WORKING PTO is simple. IF the tractor is truly farm stock and being used on the farm then it has a 99% chance of having a PTO that gets used regularly. Its silly to change the rules to accomodate the 1%. The farm stock class should be for the kids and farmers who want to see what its like to pull their tractor right out of the field. It should be the gateway for pullers who want to get into the sport, not a stomping ground for pullers who feel good about spending a small fortune on a 13mm "stock appearing" pump and a built "3LM" so they can put it on a stock 404 or 407 or 401 that just turned up the pump and has to go back to work the next day.
Im not sure why some guys get a thrill out of pulling a 540cu in engine in a class with a bunch of guys who brought their farm tractors out. If you could eliminate these guys you wouldn't need a speed limit, you could just turn them up and let 'em run. But until a sudden wave of honesty and conscience sweep the pulling world I guess you just have to run the speed limit. Usually it takes two classes. On with a conservative speed limt
I suggest gradually increasing limits. something like;

4500lbs---- 4mph
4500lbs-----no speed limit
6500lbs----- 6mph
6500lbs-----no speed limit
8500lbs------ 8mph
8500lbs-----no speed limit
10500lbs----10mph
10500lbs-----no speed limit
12500lbs------12mph
12500lbs------no speed limit
14500lbs------14mph
14500lbs------no speed limit
165000lbs------- let em rip!
This lets the stock guys pull a speed limit close to what they are used to running in the field while giving the guys who want to wind em up and let em loose a class too! If you get a guy who creeps it down the track and then blasts the throttle to try and beat the stock guys then you have to kick his butt out and into the class with no speed limit. It is pretty easy to see the difference between a stock tractor and "the other guy"
You cant make everyone happy, and in tractor pulling this especially true! But the 2 different class types give the stock guys a good arena for competition and the not so stock guys a chance to put on a show.
Remember this! If you don't have a way to let the kids get started in this sport it will not grow!

Just my 2 cents.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 12:57PM
do you realize it takes about 600 hp to run 14 mph at 145000 pound class.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 01:02PM
i thought this thread was about farm stock...not cheater stock. take the weight of
10,000lbs for example....4430's,1066's and such are what you'll find in the class.
those stock with the fuel up are 250-300hp....computes to around 8mph under load
on a good clay track....now remember STOCK is the key word....now take your 10-12
year old kid who is astute on a tractor and only has an 806 or 4020 to pull....are you going to tell me
you are fairly giving them a chance in the class. now don't get me wrong i hook hot stuff
but you will find that given an even playing field, you will find 3 stock tractors at the pull to every
non-stock (either appearing or not). if you would give it a shot, a dyno is nearly impossible to cheat.
fast idle positive stop on pump,grab the kill to make sure it's not pulled,check remotes and pull her to peak
hp....short of having a bottle or meth.....you're not going to cheat the dyno.....oh and we have
quite smart track officials and if they see you come blowing down the track at lets say 5 or 6 mph
and spin out...you won't even get invited to the dyno....you're DQ'ed

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 01:29PM
In anything you do there is going to be winners and losers, the people that go to the extra effort and expense are going to come out ahead and the rest of you are just going to sit around and whine because you can't figure out why we're at the top. If you want to be competitive step up because the answer isn't penalizing the ones that have went the extra mile.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 01:53PM
The horsepower required to achieve a certian speed is dependent upon many things including the type of track you pull on and how the sled is set up. Around here they run a sled with cheater bars and instead of changing the weight in the box they just change the gears. Its no that difficult to get up to speed. Then the pan on the sled drops (at what distance this happens depends on the sled gear) and the real horsepower is required. When the speed is set at 4mph to 6mph all the tractors end up within about 10ft of each other and isn't because they are equally driven or weighted or powered. It happens because at that speed when the pan drops and those cheater bars hook in that clay nobody has any momentum and thats all she wrote.
In a different area with a different sled of course the speed limits will be different! Talk to the sled operator he will have alot of knowledge on how fast you can pull his sled. 10mph is pretty fast and maybe thats what the high end speed should be. The main point I was trying to make is that bigger, more powerful tractors are designed to pull more, faster in the field and that should translate to the track.
Personally we have a ford 8000 with a turbo that we pull a 6 bottom (20") plow through tough sod in 6th gear.It will run all day long and never get over 160 degrees. I'm not sure what the speed would be on that but i know its faster than 4mph Smiling.
I stand by my statement that the classes should be for farm tractors and those who want to get started pulling.
I'm not sure how you translated horsepower to speed pulled but that would an interesting thread for you to start, I always like to learn new things!!...... Grinning

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 02:02PM
What i think that farm stock puller doesn't get is that if you are going to THE EXTRA EXPENSE then maybe you don't belong in the FARM STOCK class anymore! Look at that kid who works on his farm everyday and brought his favorite ride down to the pull to see what she'll do and yourself this question.: What satisfaction will I get by sneeking my tractor down the track and then burrying the throttle so I can put 20 feet on the farm tractor? Does it make you feel like more of a man? Maybe its time to go up a class and pull with all the other pullers who have put in the "EXTRA EXPENSE"

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 02:10PM
I agree with most all the guys on here about trying to help keep stock STOCK. that being said I will stand by my statements that in my opinion the only way to help keep the field fair for stock guys is the speed limit. 4-6 mph max for any stock tractor regardless of weight. if you are going faster than that then you are not stock.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 11:52PM
Farm stock pull like the old style sleds start with wieght no pan dropping or spikes to dig in (that will slow them down).

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 02:13PM
Obviously you are a grandstand puller and not a driver because you have some serious misconceptions about speed and horsepower. On the track speed is directly related to horsepower and when you limit the speed it definately evens the playing field. the faster you are running when the pan hits the farther you are going to go especially with the modern sleds that slam you with the cleats, so when you take that speed away it then comes down to the tractor set up and the driver.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 02:16PM
thats why I say a speed limit is the only way

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 02:19PM
I just posted that the cheater bars make everyone go the same distance................... You can re-read that if you want. I have been pulling for quite some time and have been the victim of numerous rule changes to specifically eliminate my tractors. And i know enough to know this sport isnt about horsepower its about torque. But thats a whole "nuther argument. Lol ... Why are you so against pulling up a class with there isnt a spped limit? You have obviously gone to the extra expense and effort to run good? Whats keeping you held up the entry level class?

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 02:21PM
I agree with you Bill R

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 03:34PM
I can tell you one thing, without speed limits around here, farm stock pulling would be dead. Every pull would be a drag race rather than a pull. Speed/power can cover up a lot of mistakes in terms of weighting, tire pressure, etc.

As stated before, it is amusing to hang right in there with the guys that spend a lot more on their puller, and at the slower speeds, it becomes evident on how well designed certain tractors were in terms of putting the power to the ground, all things equal (tires, hitch height/length).

As for the true farm tractor actually pulling these days, I chalk it up to the shift in implements from drawbar type to three-point. A lot more tractors are designed to pull plows from the 3-point hitch and not the drawbar as much. Plus, not many want to go without a cab these days for farm work due to dust from baling hay, or the opressive heat in the summer/cold in the winter or out of the threat of skin cancer. Cabs obviously add weight, and the name of the game in pulling is getting light for a greater power-to-weight ratio. Most tractors that pull farm stock (or a close proximity of stock) didn't have factory cabs, so that takes out a step in terms of the weight-saving process. Plus, it's a lot easier to add 50 hp with a couple wrenches rather than a computer programmer that you would need on a modern tractor.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 17, 2010 03:46PM
Well put. I would like to see a couple of classes for the bigger 4 wheel drive tractors. I have watched some of these on you tube from around the country. 4 wheel drives with the duals still on them so they can go right back to work the next day. Somewhere in the 28,000lb range..... If you get a chance check em out on you tube. Very cool

In my humble opinion this helps bring a modern taste to the entry level pulling.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 01:38AM
BULLCRAP!
We wanna see stuff under 10,000 lbs. and something that moves!
Not some lumbering 28,000 lb. cab/a/c low gear grudge match.
Put this class with the ANTIQUE pulls. At the END !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 03:22AM
I would think that most farmers would rather pull a tractor that costs $100K and earns its keep pulling a plow rather than one that costs just as much but only travels 300 feet at a time under its own power. Seems like when people have to spend more attention than 30 seconds, they are bored. Heaven forbid the fans watch a tractor go down the track for a whopping 60 seconds.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 03:29AM
Guess who buys the tickets ??????
I'll go watch porn before spending money to get put to sleep waiting for Billy Ray Bob, and his cousin, and his cousin's cousin to all pull the same 28, biazillion pound tractor in the same class and take all afternoon to do it.
Then get in a fist fight to settle who really gets the trophy.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 04:08AM
I guess I could see your point if the pullers were given a share of the ticket money, but this isn't the NFL. Your ticket money isn't putting up the prize money, that's why entry fees are in place. Many pullers do this for fun and are happy just to earn their entry fee money back. It wouldn't matter to a lot of them if there were 5,000 people or 50 people in the stands, they would still hook 'em up. It's just as much about catching up with old friends and shooting the breeze as much as adjusting tire pressure and slinging some wheel weights around.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 12:28PM
Hey genious the pullers might not mind pulling for little money but if the spectators don't come then the fair or festival or whatever can't afford to put on the pull. We have to give them something to see.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 12:40PM
farm stock puller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey genious the pullers might not mind pulling for
> little money but if the spectators don't come then
> the fair or festival or whatever can't afford to
> put on the pull. We have to give them something to

Mr. Farm Stock, I have a question for you if a 4020 non-turbo ,a 1066 with a 466 in it and a 6030 with a 619 in it you would pull them all together in 12,000 lb and call it fair with no speed limit.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 12:56PM
That is the point of the speed limit, What is the NA 4020 doing in a open speed class with turboed tractors?

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 01:07PM
No that was directed to the guy that said that you did not need a speed limit.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 19, 2010 12:39PM
ha maybe cause the 4020 isnt afraid to lose to a hot tractor if you know how to build one there pretty good pullers ask the 1066 that pull in stock class near washington pa us guy that run 4020 and 4010 put up one hell of a fight to win

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 19, 2010 12:59PM
Evidently deerman 4430 you havn't read all the posts because this whole disscussion is about people like you not paying any attention to what STOCK means

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 21, 2010 01:21PM
yeah motherfucker i run the stockest 4010 and 4020 you will find in swpa so watch your mouth dickhead anytime you want to run with real man come on over are way

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 10:00AM
Hey I love the fast movers too! But you need a class that tractors can come straight off the farm with. Thats how you you build the sport!

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 11:37AM
Anyone see a pattern here? Anytime anyone talks "stock" pulling these two jokers want to convince everyone thats its ok to de tune your hot farm tractor and pull these farm or mph classes or whatever. I really like the no rules deal that keeps coming up. And another pattern too i found seems like a blue tractor always gets the blame for all these problems. To say the least its almost as fun reading these threads as going to the pulls.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 11:37AM
holy sh%$,
this has raised a lot of concern with everybody. pull in improved farm if your not supposed to be in farm.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 11:43AM
Or just come to southern indiana where there are no rules.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 12:35PM
Sure there are rules, we have mph classes and open classes what else could you want.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 12:31PM
Back to what started this whole post, that is the reason for the speed limits if you run a 5 or 6 mph speed a stock tractor off the farm can compete. That is the entry level class.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 02:19PM
Having a speed limit class and a non speed limit class is essential. Those open class tractors draw the crowd, while the speed limits allow FARM STOCK tractors to have a good competitive pull. The problem that arrises is when bullies (farm stock puller) heavily modify thier tractor then insist on idling down through and then dropping the hammer in the pace class. Farm stock puller just doesnt get that he should pull in the class he belongs.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 19, 2010 03:02AM
old way im going to have to disagree the heavily modified tractors rarely win the speed limit classes (at least in indiana)

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 19, 2010 11:40AM
You can't tell him anything he already knows it all. We've tried explaining that to him and some others on here and they keep harping about the highly modified tractors beating up on the poor little kids with their stock tractors when in reality you are exactly right the higher horse tractors usually don't do very well in the slower speed classes.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 18, 2010 02:23PM
i couldn't disagree with you more (farm stock puller)....there is no way a bone stock
4020 can run even close to 4mph in a 10,000lb class.....how can you even think about calling
that competitive???

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 19, 2010 02:28AM
Are you serious? There are bone stock 4020's running 4-5 mph everywhere you go. I'm not sure how your 4020 is but maybe you need to make sure that all of your cylinders are firing currently.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 19, 2010 03:18AM
i don't know about you but i would call a 4020 maybe 100hp....you will never spin out
a 4020 on a good clay track in 3rd gear....it will puke 100% of the time....he11 it will
puke on a garbage track with 18.4's 100% of the time...get your facts inline

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 19, 2010 03:25AM
and by the way, a 4020 runs 3.7mph in 3rd gear under a load at 2200rpm

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 19, 2010 03:45AM
heres a pull for all you farmstockers. [www.pulloff.com]

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 19, 2010 07:43AM
Hi, My only point that i was trying to make was that if you do not have speed limits that there is no way to make it a fair pull. My example was that a 1066 at 113 hp ,a 4320 at 113 hp, a4020 at 95 hp, could never compete with a 1066 with a 466 with 300hp , or a 4320 with 250hp, so if they all want to pull there has to be a speed limit class and a open class.

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 19, 2010 08:25AM
A stock 4020 will never compete in a class running turbos if you want to run good with a 4020 put a turbo on it or pull non turbo paced you can not build a class around a 10,000 pound 1965 non shiftable 95hp tractor. I believe in the 4-5mph pace but have never seen a stock 4020 do that well. I have pulled in 10,000 farmstock with 135hp turbo tractor both ford and deere at 4mph and its almost always turbo tractors that do well stock or not, bone stock turbo tractors can compete but non turbos are rarely in the hunt it doesn't matter what rules you make...

Re: Farm stock rules that work March 19, 2010 10:31AM
This subject has caused quite a bit of discussion on here. Where we are from we have gone to running a farm stock class and a hot farm class for the simple reason that the farmstock class was dieing out due to the fact that nobody with a farm tractor could compete. What everybody has to remember is that somewhere along every tractor pull started with friendly compatition between two farmers with farm stock tractors. We have a small fair in our county that everybody goes to in july. What happened was people started bringing tractors that were far from stock and it drove every farmer away that founded the pulls. I wont deny that people come to see the tractors fly down the track but you also need a class where people can come and hook their off the farm tractor and have some fun because not everybody can afford to tune there tractor to be competative with a 1066 runnin 3rd high, high TA. It has taken us five years to be competative because that is what we were pulling against in the farm class. For everybody out there who thinks 20k pound 4 wheel drives are boring go to youtube.com and type in case 8950 tractor pulling then click on the one that says The Sasquatch

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,762, Posts: 229,923, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,094, Posts: 226,019.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM