Hot Farm or Farm Stock (Which is the better way to go?) March 17, 2010 03:45AM
Hello All,

I recently bought a IH 1256 on an auction. I got a good deal on it and want to turn it into a puller. I am considering two options. The first is to run it in the farm stock class with a 450 roosa master pump and a 3lm charger and see if I can get the old 407 to hold up. The problem is I am worried that I will face constant gripping from my competitors. The other option that I am considering is to run hot farm. The club where I live runs a 510 cid limit. If I go that route I definately will go with a 400 series block and a p-pump. How much extra cost am I facing with the two combinations. I would like to go the cheaper route if I can but just want to make sure it is a fun experience and not a stressful one.

Re: Hot Farm or Farm Stock (Which is the better way to go?) March 17, 2010 04:44AM
If you're new to the game it might be better to start with stock class & get the feel for things like ballancing the tractor, tire pressure, & the dozens of little things that apply to every class from lawn mowers to modifieds. Run the engine till it blows. I don't know where you're from, but I don't think you need to worry about dominating a so called stock class with what you're talking about, because most of them are just that, "so called". In the end it's your choice.

Re: Hot Farm or Farm Stock (Which is the better way to go?) March 17, 2010 03:30PM
If you're looking for fun and low expenses, stick with Farm Stock. The 407 will work, but you'll have one of the smaller engines in the class. If your club runs relatively low speed limits, you'll be able to compete with the rest. If you want to move up later, build a 400 series while having fun with the 407.

Re: Hot Farm or Farm Stock (Which is the better way to go?) March 18, 2010 04:19AM
Thanks,

I think that I will run the tractor in Farm Stock for one season. I thought that I could get away with running the current engine without tearing it down completely. Found my first supprise. Did a compression test last night and found a problem in the number 4 cylinder. I guess I will be tearing it down over the winter. Also who does good cam and head work for the 407.

Re: Hot Farm or Farm Stock (Which is the better way to go?) March 18, 2010 03:39PM
Farm stock is cheaper for a year but that's what I did and you will be looking for a faster gear by half season so just speaking from doing it spend the money now for even a 466. I ran road gear in that class and beat a 570ci it is up to you but I know if it was me don't spend the money 2 times you will learn a lot in a hot farm class without getting into a lot of money

Re: Hot Farm or Farm Stock (Which is the better way to go?) March 18, 2010 03:52PM
I am just starting out in tractors and am building a hot farm didnt want to have to redo everything to move up after a year or so, I am coming from a strong diesel pulling truck back ground so it will be just adapting over to the tractor that will get me

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009