2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 29, 2010 07:04AM
It’s been a while but I’ve finally had some time to write a new Opinion article. I know I’ve neglected the Opinion page lately, and there even may be one or two of you who like my Opinions from time to time… I’m hoping to write a few more articles this year if time permits. The new article is about the Keystone Nationals event that took place over the weekend in Harrisburg, PA.

Also, I’ll be uploading my pictures from the event later tonight and I put a note up when the are online.

Please feel free to comment here about the show or about the article. Thanks to everyone who made it such a great event. To those who didn't go this year, I encourage you to read the article and pencil this event in for 2011.

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 29, 2010 07:45AM
Some side notes for the event that didn’t go with the review of the pull:

LSS – Simply Nastyier is very, very impressive. That tractor needs about 300 lbs. more front end weight or about 2 less inches of drawbar, because that little tractor is mean! When they get the right wieght/drawbar combo figured out they are going to be very, very tough. Lot’s a carnage in the LSS finals: Hootman took a bottom charger (I think) Mike Wilhite broke the shaft to the fuel pump (still had a more feet in the run when it went), Eric VanValkenburg had a rod looking for fresh air, and Jason Irvin unfortunately looked like he may have burned up a clutch disc. Despite the breakage the finals were a great show, and the prelims were great as well. AC fans would have been happy to seen every 426 powered tractor lay down excellent passes. Hope to see them back with even more entries in 2011.

SF – Don Slama was as impressive as ever, and if the Zorn brother would have dropped a gear in the pulloff we might be talking about a red SF champ because Snoopy 2 was very impressive. Great class from top to bottom.

SS/PS – My hats’ off to the man who wears a giant oversized hat, Henry Everman. Henry made it look easy and really has that new component chassis working well. Sure he’ll never admit I was right, but that new chassis seems to be making a world of difference for the Final Decision tractor. It also wasn’t surprising was to see who was hot on Henry’s heels… yes it was the Martins, running as strong as ever. Maintain 4 Pros must be a tons of work but they still look brand new and run as good as they look If only cousin Dave hadn’t welded his own hubs on we might have had two Evermans in the finals!

Anybody else notice that Destinee Palmer was about a mile ahead of the rest of the 8000 open class? Very nice runs by the two time defending champ, she sure isn't afraid of the sand pile.

I spent a fair amount of time in the pits talking with some East Coast Limited Pro/Mod Turbo guys and they all seem very interested in the new NTPA Light Pro Stock class. With the exception of the A-pump they fit the rules perfect. There’s no doubt in my mind that they will do just fine hooking with their A-pump against the P-pumps. I can’t wait until the Light Pro Stock really gets a good foothold because it’s going to be an awesome class.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 07:59AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 29, 2010 09:49AM
Totally agree with you Jake. This is an awesome event that is run by a very organized comittee. My hat`s off to the Forrester`s, Destinee (a no fear driver!!), JR and the rest of the crew, things ran seamless. This was the first time I have been at an indoor event for watching as well as pulling. I had been to the PA Farm Show in January and scouted the buildings. This is a great facility, and I was impressed with the air quality they were able to maintain.

Too bad the finals hadn`t started about an hour and a half earlier, had to miss the last two classes. Looked like a great turnout for the whole event though. I would definitely be back again as a spectator and puller.

Congratulations everyone, you really have this one figured out.

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 29, 2010 10:32AM
We must have left at about the same time, midnight, and we missed the last two classes. I would have loved to have stayed but I was driving home and I didn’t want to get back too late. My head hit my pillow at 5:00 AM.

Thanks for bringing the tractors down, it’s great to see those gas tractors mix it up with the diesels. You made some very respectable runs. Immaculate little 4010 by the way, it’s a great looking tractor. I hope you bring it down again next year.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 29, 2010 12:25PM
Yeah, we left at the same time alright. Too bad, I wanted to see the 8500 Mod Turbo class as well.

Thanks for the compliments on the tractor, we were genuine underdogs at this pull. Just out to have some fun, and that we definitely had. Met alot of great people. That 7700 class is pretty competitive. We are giving up about 70 or so cubes and more than 0.5 inch on the charger. That was a better track than it appeared, could have geared up, but that is the first go indoors for me. No complaints at all though. Maybe there will be some change for next year and we could look a little better.

I should have shot you a PM before hand, would like to have met you. I am down here in PA most of the time right now, so maybe I will catch you at a pull this summer.

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 29, 2010 10:57PM
All our photos from the event are now online.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 30, 2010 05:28AM
Jake,

What was your impression of the Pro Farm class? It's a pretty exciting class I think. They still look like a Farm Tractor for the most part, but they don't run like your granpa's farm tractor! Very exciting class.

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 30, 2010 05:49AM
I thought it was a real good class. My one complaint is there are a few too many 9/10/1466’s, but I guess that’s not a surprise! I joked with JR that it’s hard to believe there are any of those tractors left in a field anywhere, seems like they are all on tracks in one state or another! Thurmon Munford Jr’s 856 is going to be a great looking tractor once it’s got a coat of paint on it, and even though it’s still red, it’s different. I’d love to see a few 06, 86, 88 series IH’s, or maybe even 7100, 7200 CaseIH. Even if a class has mostly one color it still needs a variety of hoods to help fans notice a difference.

I’d really love to see more color in the class, and I’m surprised there aren’t a few more Deere or Fords because the ones that are there run strong. It was great to see the true Case mixing it up as well. Overall it was a real good class, and there are some very clean vehicles in the class.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 30, 2010 06:23AM
Their are actually two brothers that run an 86 and 88 series with the interstate pro farm class but they were not at keystone this year for some reason

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 30, 2010 08:17AM
Yes, there are definately alot of red ones! That's for sure! Thurman's 56 sheetmetal looks pretty good I think.

The blue ones run really well and over on the eastern shore of Maryland, there are two pumpkins consistently tuning and tweaking.

The case is pretty stout and Brent's John Deere is a strong one as well. It's a growing class with a lot of potential!

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 30, 2010 11:53AM
are local fairs in western pa has better running farm classes

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 30, 2010 12:24PM
HAHA!! Are you kidding? Then if you're Farm class is as good if not better, why didn't you run at Keystone with the Pro Farms? Keep your negative comments to yourself...Eye Rolling

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 30, 2010 12:31PM
easy now i agree about the negative comments but, they could be hotter now what needs to be said let them meet keystone rules and come and play next year. I bet that these so called hotter tractors run a little different set up. So lets compare apples to apples not apples to sour grapes.

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 31, 2010 03:39AM
I think alot of people are missing the part of the rules that these profarm tractors run a 2 7/16 inlet charger. Thats small and to push that kind of power out of a charger that small is more than impressive.

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 31, 2010 05:31AM
You are exactly right! The charger rule, which in all reality isn't very big compared to alot of other equivilant classes. Impressive indeed!

Hope we see more of that class as the pulling season goes on.

Re: 2010 Keystone Nationals Opinion Article March 31, 2010 01:25AM
Bring it on buddy. better yet tell me when & where & maybe i'll show up at your fair

Keystone Nationals March 30, 2010 04:22AM
Cory and the pull commitee at the Harrisburg show did a wonderfull job. The diversity of classes, addition of new (quality) classes, the best track maintainace I've ever seen, wonderfull facility, excellent air quality control in the arena and both pit's, and a "puller friendly" atmosphere all three days produced a turely first class show. The work that is involved in putting on a pull at this level is enormous and I as a spectator this year (hopefully competator next) thank all involved for a job well done. John Weidman

Re: Keystone Nationals March 30, 2010 08:08AM
just as the past couple have been, this was also an awesome pull. from this fans viewpoint everyone involved did a great job. i was very excited when they said they were going to have the light supers there this year.last year i went to langford ny and got to see hootman and vanvalkenburg's tractors and couldnt wait to see a whole class of all alkyburners. they definetly put on a great show. thanks to all the guys that traveled all those miles to come to harrisburg pa. peissig,lynn,wilhite and all the other guys do an awesome job with the looks of their tractors and the power is unreal.its nice to go to the pulls and be able to talk to the pullers also. they are all so accessible and willing to stop and take the time to talk to the fans.

Re: Keystone Nationals March 30, 2010 09:33AM
couldn't agree more, hats off to all involved, pullers, promoters, and sponcers this was my first indoor pull and it was great. very well run was impressed at how they kept things moving thank you to the teams sponcers and to the forresters for donateing all the t shirts that were shot into the crowd, this kept 3 young kids entertained and that made it easy on me.

Re: Keystone Nationals March 30, 2010 10:25AM
Great show. This was the first year I have been and was very impressed. The light super class is great. I hope they keep bringing them back and expanding the class. My only complaint was the people who kept reserving there seats with duct tape, clothes or whatever it may be. It is general admission there should be no saving seats. First come first serve. You want the best seat in the house get in line first. Overall great experience. As long as the light supers keep coming back I will be there. One question for anyone who knows. Why dont they let the alcohol tractors start up and backup to the sled instead of moving them with the skid steer?

Re: Keystone Nationals March 30, 2010 02:14PM
It was quicker and faster. Besides,all the LSS drivers agreed to it. They started them up as they were backing up to the sled. The only thing they had to do is put the tractor in gear. The person running the skid steer is second to none anywere and besides he is a LSS nut.

Re: Keystone Nationals March 30, 2010 03:08PM
I couldnt agree more that skid steer driver was good.

Re: Keystone Nationals March 30, 2010 05:13PM
Steven B. Look for us next year. we will be tailgating in the parking lot cooking steak and watching old pulling videos. And we will have the premium seats already picked out. Hope to see you next year!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,698, Posts: 229,797, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard