wooster flywheel May 02, 2010 12:26AM
seen over on yt that a flywheel came apart in a 4010 last night,said the tr was cut in half.im assuming this is wooster,ohio.

Re: wooster flywheel May 02, 2010 02:09AM
anyone have the name of the driver or what web site is "yt" thanks twr

Re: wooster flywheel May 02, 2010 02:57AM
A friend of mine texted these to me. He said the flywheel did let go. They took the driver away in an ambulance. That's all I know.

Re: wooster flywheel May 02, 2010 03:31AM
I was there, missed the flywheel coming out but got pic of this tractor.

Re: wooster flywheel May 02, 2010 04:01AM
I hope hes gona be ok! This is why we push safety equipment on some of the smaller classes! Does anyone know what class he wus running? What failed?

Re: wooster flywheel May 02, 2010 05:43AM
yt= www.yesterdaystractors.com

Re: wooster flywheel May 02, 2010 07:06AM
ok how do i find this

Re: wooster flywheel May 02, 2010 06:21AM
The kid is Jessie Byler. He is pretty brusied up and sore, Has some torn muscles. Nothing was broken, THE BIG MAN UPSTAIRS WAS WATCHING OUT FOR HIM. I was there when it happened. MY 6 year old daughter and i were watching it pull,,, MY dad talked to the kid and he is in good spirits, My dad is aJohn deere tractor mechANIC of 45 years,,,goo green

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2010 07:05AM by deeredaughter.

Re: wooster flywheel May 02, 2010 09:41AM
can u tell me what site this is or how to get there?

Re: wooster flywheel May 02, 2010 10:10AM
www.yesterdaystractors.com then click discussion forums under community ,then scroll down to tractor pulling. hope this helps.

Re: wooster flywheel May 03, 2010 10:21AM
any video of it?

Re: wooster flywheel May 03, 2010 11:41AM
no video but i have alot of pic if interested in seeing them

Re: wooster flywheel May 03, 2010 12:18PM
How hard was twisting when it came unglued

Re: wooster flywheel May 03, 2010 12:19PM
How hard was he twisting it when it came unglued

Re: wooster flywheel May 03, 2010 01:03PM
he had it wound up pretty good,, was half way down the track,,,

Re: wooster flywheel May 03, 2010 11:37PM
I assume it was a cast stock flywheel not steel??

Re: wooster flywheel May 04, 2010 04:07AM
Don't assume steel flywheels can't come apart too. it is a lot less likely but has happened. So take all possible safety precautions.

Re: wooster flywheel May 04, 2010 01:24PM
yes it was

Re: wooster flywheel May 04, 2010 05:14PM
Was this a gas tractor that had a 404 combine motor installed in it? I have seen a few made like this were the gas flywheel is reused. They turn the ring gear grove down to put a diesel ring gear on it and bore the center to fit the flange of the 404 crank. I never felt that the flywheel would be very strong doing that to it even on a stock tractor.

Re: wooster flywheel May 07, 2010 01:04PM
Never assume stock horsepower wont break things in a big way no matter what kind of a vehicle it is. I seen a flywheel/clutch explosion in a pure stock F 350 V 10 at a pull in Bonneville NY 2 years ago. The fly wheel came through the bell housing, floor pan, dash and out through the bottom of the windshield and landed on the track in pieces next to the truck. It just missed the drivers right leg. It broke the back of the engine block, the trans, the floor of the cab, all the wiring and air ducts in the dash, and the windshield. I'm sure it must have totaled it. How many stock class truck pulls are held every weekend all over the country. If it happened once it will happen again, maybe with a foot or a leg missing. No matter if its truck or tractor the safety rules are always much less with the stock classes. But how do you tell a guy that just unhooked his tractor from the s### spreader or drove his truck in from town that he needs tranny blankets, drive shaft loops, roll bars, fire suites and kill switches. You cant because 99.9999999% of the time nothing happens. And if a promoter tried to enforce these type of rules for stock vehicles many would not come. If the vehicle is a full time puller its easy to implement safety rules, but the out of the field off the street classes it hard.

Re: wooster flywheel May 07, 2010 02:37PM
X2 on this you cant ever be to safe, its your life, freinds and family, and spectors so dont half a** safety stuff!!

Re: wooster flywheel May 07, 2010 02:40PM
I also seen one blow out the bottom of a stock f250 powerstroke at a pull in southern IN. a few years ago. It was because he was dumb enough to stay in WFO while the cluch slipped very badly and barely moving. Thats when flywheels and clutches fly the worst is when there is that much heat built up on cast it just explodes, even when running stock rpms. It could happen on the street too if you stay in it with the clutch slipping.

Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 07, 2010 11:53PM
i have to have everything right to pull in the club i belong in. i hate brush pulls. fairs need to stop having them and farm stockers need to stop going. build something to pull or stay off the track. you are ruining it for all us real pullers. you guys keep costing us more money in safety equipment and costing us pulls when we have to charge events more money to have us to cover our insurance cost. man up people!

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 08, 2010 10:09AM
first off let me say that i am all for having the nessesary safty equiptment where it is necessary. now for 1 Mad Puller you say you hate brush and fair pulls. well do everyone a favor and don't go. the way it sounds to me is you wont be missed because it is just to hard to have everything perfect for guys like you. since you are a self proclaimed " real puller" maybe you could explain to everyone when idiot brush pullers end and "real pullers" begin. with this whole topic of the flywheel coming apart yeah they screwed up but you guys are beating this topic to death.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 08, 2010 10:49AM
Hey, it all comes down to common sense. I'm all for brush pulls and the big sanction pulls too!!! Its all fun and games until somebody gets hurt or worse because of stupidity and ignorance.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 09, 2010 08:48AM
AMEN!!!!!!!! 1 MAD BRUSH PULLER....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAH THIS THING IIS BLEW CLEAR OUT OF THE WATER,,,,, IT WAS SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED,,,, TIME TO DEAL WITH IT AND GO ON,,,, I KNOW THE KID THAT PULLED THIS TRACTOR,,,, HE KNOWS HOW LUCKY HE WAS,,,, DON'T THINK HE WILL DO IT AGAIN FOR A LONG LONG TIME,,,,

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 08, 2010 02:22PM
That JD was pulling an 8500 open class and some say he was turning close to 5000 rpms..Only a fool would do that with no safety equipment.

Our group doesnt require steel flywheels for the 3000 rpm 10 mph class as most all tractors are under 300 horses and lots dont even turn their tractors 3000 rpms. Any 3000 rpm tractor running a class with no speed limit must have all the safety stuff. I've been to over 750 pulls and have never seen a flywheel come apart and hope I never see one come apart.Thats amazing as back in the old days there were 101 Masseys and Wards tractors turning flat head Chryslers 6000 rpms or more.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 09, 2010 02:59AM
thank you Nick the Click you hit the nail right on the head. common sense is the key!!!

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 09, 2010 06:19AM
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BRUSH PULL RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG AND HOPE YOU BRUNG ENUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 10, 2010 04:45AM
Thats all you can do is run what you brough and hope you brough enough i will amit im not the biggest tractor in the class ya i have all the safty equipment and yes i can pass a safty inspection in almost any pulling association If you can't afford the safty equipment then don't even bring it we have all spent the money to make our tractors safe and right by the book now man up and do your part

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 17, 2010 12:15PM
i agree with that if no one ever wants to make any class affordable in the ostpa then why not run brush pulls, they are better and you dont have a bunch of people pulling that think they are better than everyone else because they got more money in something , the clubs around are the ones getting out of control with their rules.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 18, 2010 12:10PM
i am glad im not the only one that thinks ostpa might be heading in the wrong direction

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 09, 2010 06:50AM
thats right run what you brung. I am gald i pull a steal flywheel in mine.Turning 3800 to 4000 i wouldnt want to hurt friends,family,spectators. Have start some where (brush pulling) WE ALL CANT START AT THE TOP.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 09, 2010 07:19AM
AMEN!!

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 10, 2010 01:04AM
if we had it your way stoping brush pulls you wouldnt have anyone else to pull against! no one would start pulling to begin with. We all start somewhere. yes what happened was terrible and the guy was an idiot, but if your only turing stock rpms around 3000 you aren't going to kill a flywheel. Its people like you that make this sport so hard to get into. you want people to just start out by spending money. tractor pulling started with brush pulls! run what you brung! i got a 656 that i go to local fairs with are you going to bitch at that? just stop pulling all together it would make peoples lives a lot nicer.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 10, 2010 09:28PM
As a school teacher, I can honestly say that many adults take to critics like a bunch of 6 year olds!!

The only reason people have resorted to telling you to 'just stay home' and 'boycott brush pulls' is your reaction to someone telling you that accidents do happen and you need to have safety equipment in place even if you dont "plan" on your flywheel killing anyone.

I too understand that everyone cannot afford a roll cage and the whole works right out the gate. But, you must see that for the safety of yourself and others... we cannot afford to have just anyone or anything on the track pulling. If you want to start pulling, here is your to do list:

1- Buy steel flywheel and good clutch (balance them too)
2- Build Ladder bars and wheelie bars
3- Start wrenching to get more horsepower

If you cannot follow that order... then just come out to watch everyone else have a SAFE and good time.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 11, 2010 01:52AM
Puller too is 100% correct. Do you brush pullers have 1 or 2 million dollars laying around to pay for a lawsuit. Paying for saftey equipment sounds alot cheaper to me.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 11, 2010 02:43AM
almost everyone of the jerks talking smack about brush pulls started out there... when they began pulling antiques or farm stockers, and run their tractors without all of the safety equipment and probably OPEN RPMs to make power back in the day before all of the technology we now have -the problem is that they have short memories and dont seem to remember when they were doing the same thing... Lets be HONEST -there are very few of you guys that didnt get your feet wet at brush pulls in the begining only to move on to bigger and better things.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 11, 2010 04:33AM
Yes at one time we used to motor down the road with no seat belts-didn't exist but now most sane people wouldn't drive with out them! As with pulling and every other endeavor, things evolve usually for the better, so claiming since it wasn't done in the past, dose not make it smart to say "well gramps or dad got away with it so heck be dammed I'm going to take my chances too"

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 11, 2010 06:17AM
I think what some folks are missing in this thread is that not all tractors that go to a pull are performing at a level which necessitates a lot of safety equipment. there are lots of pulls with palin old farm tractors. sure, common sense would dictate more and more safety gear as performance increases as would be expected. but it is hardly necessary for all tractors to have every piece of safety gear known to man on them

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 11, 2010 09:33AM
You are correct. We all started somewhere... but can't you learn from others mistakes? I would do it differently 10 years ago if I knew what I know now.

Also... we are not talking about this because of some guy who pulled a "farm tractor" off the manure spreader to pull. Go back up and look at the pictures of the tractor. He did enough pulling to build himself sideshields so this is not that kind of tractor.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 11, 2010 12:59PM
I nderstand your point, but the thread got off track and basically is insinuating that ALL tractors have everything. Surely we all learn from mistakes. My point is not All tractors need a steel flywheel and blanket etc.. You dont see safety nets, and tube chassis in over the raod normal automobiles, like NASCAR do you? Nor do you see them in stock cars at the drags. You have to exceed a certain point before each requirment is mandatory...

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 15, 2010 10:49PM
I have about 15 pictures of this tractor, I was there,, If any one would like to see them let me know.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 16, 2010 12:37AM
I would like to see the pictures. Thanks

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 17, 2010 01:33AM
Where are you going to post The pictures?

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 17, 2010 03:22AM
I would be interested in the pictures you have. I sent you a pm.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 17, 2010 09:11PM
No fenders either?

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 18, 2010 01:51PM
Like you real pullers do not break sh_tt and blow up Give me a break. I suppose your golden mother goose awakened you one one fine spring morning and said "Today little gosling you will be a REAL PULLER you were born with the golden spoon and will not have to do that nasty brush pulling my little one. You will start at the top and be a Real Puller." Where do you think pulling started?

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 18, 2010 02:24PM
I'm an almost new puller building a LLSS. You don't have to start at the top, but you can't a price on safety. I have always wanted to get into pulling and now I starting to have that chance. Brush pulls are fine as long as there are safety standards in place for everyone.

Re: Ban All Brush Pulls !! Stop Going To Them May 18, 2010 03:56PM
Grow up safty equipment first all the safty equipment of today has became a reality because of BLOOD SHED and some died so you can be saved today. Much like Jesus dieing on the cross for our sins.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009