Lubing 1066 Rear End May 02, 2010 11:38AM
I have removed my mcv and pump and put disc brakes on. I have a hydraulic pump to drive off the crank for my steering. What do I need to do to lube the rear end? Does it need to go through that tube that sprays on the ring and pinion or can I just put a fitting on the rear end cover to dump oil down on top of the ring and pinion? The book says the stock steering need 3gpm and 1850psi. So if I set my pump at 1850psi I am thinking I would need priority valve to send the 3gpm to the steering and then the rest back to the rear end over the ring and pinion. The book also says the diff lube is only like 5psi. How could I get it down that low? If I have the pump going to the stock steering wheel motor does the oil only come out the return if you are turning the wheel? Not sure what I need to be doing. I do want power steering and I do need to lube the diff some way other than having the oil that high in the rear end correct? Does anything else in the rear end need to be pressure lubed. There is the hyd assist clutch return port I in the side of the range tranny I thought I could use for the steering return. Thanks. Somebody on here has to know alot more than me and done this before.

Re: Lubing 1066 Rear End May 02, 2010 03:31PM
you need make sure your pinion shaft is pressure lubed also because you have gears on the top shaft that ride. if you took a 706 steering motor hooked your lines up and had a coupler on one of the lines and pressurized the steering system with another tractor you would have a simple steering system. might be a bit slow but it will work. 706 steering motor, 2 lines, and a coupler to fill. you could make a plate to bolt on where the mcv used to be and pressurize the port that feeds reverse idler, pinion shaft and quill bearings and that should lube everything in your drive train.

Re: Lubing 1066 Rear End May 02, 2010 04:28PM
i would dump the return back through a plate that covers up where the mcv was, with the return going to the lube port on the tranny housing, just like the mcv did. on my tractor i did the same thing as you are doing but i used a electric pump that was self contaned for the steering and then used a small electric pump (sureflow sprayer pump) for a lube pump. I put a needle valve on the steering( in) side of the steering hand pump so i could adjust how much oil that was being sent to the steering and the rest wast tied into the return side (out) of the hand pump. this way i could speed up or slow down the steering responce by how much oil is being sent to the hand pump.

Re: Lubing 1066 Rear End May 03, 2010 01:25AM
I pulled the trans brake shaft out put a hyd fitting there to pull oil from, put eng. preluber electric pump where stock starter used to be, tapped plate where mcv used to be to feed range and ring and pinion lube. preluber has built in screen that can be cleaned has 35 psi.

Re: Lubing 1066 Rear End May 04, 2010 09:19AM
Where did you get your prelube pump from?

Re: Lubing 1066 Rear End May 04, 2010 09:30AM
I got it from b and d fuel injection in temple hills md. in 1995 still works fine ,call local marine dealer it was used on boat diesel engines. it is made by preluber. I will try to find part # for you

Re: Lubing 1066 Rear End May 04, 2010 10:52AM
Did you hook it up to the key or do you have it on a switch and only run it when you are pulling?

Re: Lubing 1066 Rear End May 04, 2010 01:06PM
I hooked it up to a toggle switch along with my electric over hyd steering setup, when you get the steering full of oil it will become a closed system so I can steer well enough to be pulled around when I fire up and back into the sled I turn it on

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,956, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,039.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009