Wards tractors? May 10, 2010 03:52PM
does anyone know anything about Wards tractors?
How many models did they make? Where were they manufactured? How many cubes in their engines? When were they made? Thanks for your help.

Re: Wards tractors? May 10, 2010 05:02PM
Made from about 1948-51 at Joliet,Ill by the Lowther Corp..The ER and EW had a 250 CI Chrysler flat head 6 and the HR and HW had a 230 CI Chrysler flat head 6.

Heres a man that knows Wards tractors.

[www.whatnextfarm.com]

Re: Wards tractors? May 11, 2010 02:43AM
wards,lowther,custom,jumbo,rockol,and jumbo,were the manufactures names for these tractors.they all are built on a dodge drive train,and all have the same sheetmetal.another name was ,lehr.i have some info on them.they were produced with inline 4,6,and 8 cyl engines.the frames were a cast frame or made out of 4 in channel,the channel frame models are very light,as in less than 3500 lbs,and could be classified as a componet chassis.these tractors are also very,very fast.a friend of mine has a few of these and i have followed him in a car at over 60 mph.also some of these were a fluid drive,i have not seen one ,but assume it is a hydrostatic.the motors were all flathead designed.there is a website and a collectors club for these ,i cant think of the site but it shouldv be easy to find.

Re: Wards tractors? May 11, 2010 05:14AM
I have one that I purchased for pulling awhile back. The guy I bought it from pulled with it and the guy before him pulled it with a turbo strapped on it. The gentalman I purchased it from pulled it back in the 80's. He said he ran 18.4-38 tires and at that time he was cleaning everyone up. It wouldn't happen now though with the big cube engines. Mine is a Er model. The 250 Chrysler engine was replaced with a 265 a long time ago. I had done quite a bit of work to it. The engine will spin over 6000 RPM. It has the fluid drive. Which is kind of like a torque convertor, but not the same. It has a 5 speed trans. the rear axle is a truck axle with outboard final drives. It also has juice brakes because of the truck axle. I have been able to get mine light enough to pull in a 3600lbs class. Everyone said I couldn't get it that light, but I found a way with safety equipment. If I can dig up some pictures I will try to post them. I have not pulled it much the last few years. To many big cube oliver 77 around here, and I'm sticking money into another tractor. I have a new intake and carb configuration I would like to build and try out so I may just brake it back out of the shop.

Another note. They do go really fast on the road. I know you can get them up over 60 MPH. Gets a little scary though.

I know there is a guy by Madison, WI that knows a lot about them. They also have one with the straight 8 in it. I have gotten parts from them. A few of his sons live by me, and pull Wards tractors also. Good guys.

Re: Wards tractors? May 11, 2010 08:39AM
who is up by madison and a phone #

Re: Wards tractors? April 25, 2012 03:06PM
Any more information on how to get parts for the late 40's - early 50's Montgomery Wards tractors? My Dad and I are trying to restore his old puller.

Re: Wards tractors? April 30, 2012 05:54AM
Most engine parts can be found at NAPA. The rest of the tractor is hard to come by rusty complete parts tractors go around $1500. I have a few rear end parts left over from a blown up rear used in pulling. My dad wants to sell his Wards HR 324ci 8cyl SW Indiana 812-630-9262

Re: Wards tractors? August 08, 2013 03:38PM
Do you still have this engine?

Re: Wards tractors? August 09, 2013 05:36AM
No, both the tractor and spare engine went up to WI or MN.

Re: Wards tractors? August 10, 2013 05:02AM
I have an old photo of a trailer truck load of brand new Wards tractors if any one is interested.

Re: Wards tractors? August 10, 2013 01:36PM
my brother has a 8 cyl 2 custom chassis and a 6 cyl wards 6087764508 dick

Re: Wards tractors? August 11, 2013 06:09AM
I have a Custom chassis & a complete Lehr Big Boy (same as a custom) that I'd sell. 931-212-3602

Re: Wards tractors? April 14, 2014 12:52AM
Mark, your brother interested in selling either?

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Website Statistics
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009