how to get a 460 to 4500#? May 25, 2010 02:19PM
I am thinking of putting the 460 on a diet to make 4500 pounds. To start, I need to lose 700+ pounds. I have pressed 18.4-34's. I know I could lose maybe 200# by putting 15.5's on, but that would be a disadvantage traction-wise, so that is a last resort. I have the stock horseshoe drawbar, which is getting replaced in favor of a simple adjustable hitch and wheelie bars. I doubt I save over 50# there. What does the PTO weigh? I have the stock seat, and can probably save weight there, and will likely remove the oil-bath air cleaner in favor of a dry element. The belly bracket can go, saving another 50#. Fenders are supposed to be required, but I wouldn't be the only one without them. What else can/should I be looking at? Should I look for a single front wheel? It tends to be light in the front now, so I hesitate to do that, but if the whole tractor is lighter, it may change the pulling dynamics. Right now it is setup as a workable farm tractor, and if I change the hitch I can grind feed with it now. But pulling in the lighter class would get me done pulling at a more reasonable time, and put me in a better class I think. Thanks for the help!

Re: how to get a 460 to 4500#? May 25, 2010 03:39PM
Hey.. i run a Massey Harris 55 in the 5500# ITPA class and i've had the same problems! haha

Here's a couple things that were done to my MH55:

-Lightened wide-front. (Hollow tube replacing original cast.)
-Pressed 15.5x38 (as per rules)
-Smaller-than-stock fenders
-Smaller front wheels (16" I believe)
-Redesigned and lightened seat assembly

Hope this helps?

How about aluminum fenders? Somebody has got to sell them?

Re: how to get a 460 to 4500#? May 25, 2010 10:18PM
a friend of mine has one in 4500 class with a 301 gas engine in it with a little head work that thing is sick!!! had to beat in 4500 and 5500 he has gotten rid of all hydraulics, dash support is now aluminum angle iron seat is supported with aluminum angle iron pto is gone, has 15.5's on pressed steel and also i am pretty sure he has lighter axles than most 460's I belive it was an option at new, hope this helps

Re: how to get a 460 to 4500#? May 25, 2010 11:41PM
He's right, some of the early 460 came with 2 1/2 axles and others had 2 3/4. you could also foam the rearend and get rid of a lot of oil. get rid of the big fuel tank and go to a small aluminum one, and make new frame rails out of aluminum.

Re: how to get a 460 to 4500#? May 26, 2010 12:09AM
You need to get rid of front bolster and make homeade wide front with rack and pinion steering. I have a non power steer bolster with pipe stem narrow front if you have to have narrow front and bolster in place. Take the hydralic pump from belly and block from under the dash, fuel tank, and different seat assembly and use weld on hub plate. You should make 4500 with driver and 18.4 x38 on pressed steel.

Re: how to get a 460 to 4500#? May 26, 2010 02:28AM
Isn't the floor board on a 460 made out of heavy cast iron? Some aluminum plate there would save a good bit.

Re: how to get a 460 to 4500#? May 26, 2010 03:19AM
Put you a 300 or 350 rearend in it and you are well below 4500.

Re: how to get a 460 to 4500#? May 26, 2010 07:13AM
hey there this is the happy hour pulling team. We currently have a 460 that weighs 4000. We have 24.5 tires. We cut our floor bored leaving just the bolt holes and shifting section we then putt 1/4 aluminum plate on top with silicone and the bolts right through too hold are tube seating base that our fenders are bolted to. We made a tube steering column with a pipe and bushings that hold the shaft in place.We also took out our pto and filled the rear end with crack filler. The mid section also got filled in the not needed hydrolic oil an the only area left with oil is the ta section. We have some light weight rear end covers from recent years that i would consider selling. We also put weld on hubs and cut the axles off. The brakes our now calipers instead of the original. I would take your fuel tank off and cut holes in the radiator support. I would build a wide front also because it wont belong and all classes are going to require one.If interested in light weight parts or have questions please call Mitch at 1(608)-214-0300. Week Days not until after 3:30 if no answer please leave a message because i currently work on farm and sometimes just don't get too the phone.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,723, Posts: 229,851, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,976.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro