Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 01, 2010 09:44AM
I'm trying to figure out how to get a hydraulic motor that runs the box back on a sled to where I can free it up so that it doesn't turn when the sled is being pulled. someone said use an air clutch to separate it from the box drive train. can someone give me some help on what and how to do that? making changes to an older sled here and over my head on this one.

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 01, 2010 10:58AM
I am in the process of building one and I used a air clutch with a sprocket and chain to the rear shaft the front shaft is the drive shaft and there is also a air clutch on that (in line) the power supplied to the clutch is on a switch so your only able to supply to one or the other at same the clutch to move the box manually is a fairly small one 50 chain 5 or 6 inhes around tested seems to work fine

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 01, 2010 02:52PM
what type of air clutch did you use? does it just separate the sprocket on the pump so that it doesn't turn when the sled is being pulled? where did you get your clutch from
bk do you care to explain a little more on the double relief? I thought about just leaving the pump in float but was afraid of wear on the pump and drag. thanks for all the help.

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 01, 2010 03:19PM
If you use a semi transmission for your box travel use the pto for your hydraulic moter to move your box

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 01, 2010 03:23PM
unfortunately this old one doesn't have a semi truansmission, not sure what they're out of but no pto on them.

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 01, 2010 04:16PM
Might not have a pto box on it now .But if you look might be a plate on transmission that comes off to mount pto

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 01, 2010 11:04AM
install a double relief....let it spin.

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 01, 2010 10:27PM
you could try a hyd reverser off a combine harvester, the one on my R50 automatically engages when you feed it hyd. power and disconnects completely when deactivated. although I am not sure if it will do this in both directions? just a thought?

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 01, 2010 11:37PM
You can use a radial piston motor similar to the ones used on rear wheel assist on combines and some high clearance sprayers. These are available from either Poclain Hydraulics or Rexroth. Up to around 75 rpm you can simply tie the two input ports to tank and the pistons will disengage from the cam. Over 75 rpm you will need to pressurize the case of the motor up to around 100 psi to hold them in against centrifugal force. A motor from a Rogator would work well too. Those you would not have to pressure the case to freewheel.

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 02, 2010 06:10AM
nexen air clutch 5H30S is what i used on mini sled 1800 inch lbs of torque @80 psi with 50 chain next size is a 5H40S has 3700 lbs @80 psi. Kaman or Motion is who i bought fromnexen # is 715 866 4298

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 02, 2010 06:57AM
Thanks that gets me headed in the right direction I think. Were those clutches pretty pricey?

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 02, 2010 08:48AM
400 to 600 mis alignment coulple for the inline was 600 laso though worth it gives you alot of coltrol over the box

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 03, 2010 02:12AM
Your setup might be a little different than ours was but we had an overcenter type clutch in ours that had a flywheel. We cut the bellhousing to put in a slot in it ,made a new flywheel out of aluminum which we had to anyway and put a knurl on the outside of it. We had a hydraulic orbital motor mounted in there with a small driveshaft that went to a heavy cast center caster wheel with a rubber wheel on it's outside. We pushed it into the flywheel with a truck brake chamber connected to a air varible lever started the pump and away it went. never had a problem with it and when you let off on the air valve it all came out from the drive .(No chance on having it stuck in.

It sounds confusing but it worked really well fo us.

Cool

Re: Help with hydraulic motor for box return on sled June 03, 2010 03:01AM
understand but do you have forward and reverse, by the way the air clutch is on the shaft and the sprocket is on the motor

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,785, Posts: 229,971, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,049.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009