Timing June 06, 2010 11:16AM
Looking for advice on timing with a open rpm 13mm p pump with hx60 billet turbo 120 lines. What would be the highest anyone would go or the lowest. Any advice appreciated. Just would like know a good spot to start from guys running similar setups.

Re: Timing June 06, 2010 12:45PM
40 degrees is a good place to start

Re: Timing June 06, 2010 02:55PM
Start at 40 but do you have a suggestion on whether is it better to go up or down from there. Thanks for at least the starting point.

Re: Timing June 07, 2010 12:09AM
That's pulling, you will have to experiment with your set up. There is no magic number. I would guess you won't go a long ways from 40 degrees with that pump and turbo combo.

Re: Timing June 08, 2010 02:15PM
Thanks pullerx for your help but anyone else have any input, had someone today tell me that 40 would be the lowest. Heard about some being in the upper 40's

Re: Timing June 09, 2010 02:43AM
I would actually recommend starting around 36 -38 degrees and work your way up from there, yes you are right the mid 40 degrees would work. I had my set at 45 degrees it was a cold blooded to start and she ran and made awesome rpms and HP but the end result was 6 junk pistons.

So unless u have a big wallet start lower and work your way up. Remember to balance the water injection flow to balance the fuel. You did not mention ho many cc's of fuel u are flowing.

Running less fuel with timimg advanced means higher EGT's so you need to increase the water injection rate. Good luck

Re: Timing June 09, 2010 05:18AM
Between 600-650, no less than 600

Re: Timing June 09, 2010 07:04AM
I was running 625 and ended up melting my pistons at 45 degrees advanced, and I was pushing about 48 -50 ounces of water in each pass. So if you start at 36-38 you may be able to make some good hp and rpms. I hope that helps and good luck in your season

Re: Timing June 09, 2010 07:57AM
Thanks for your insight. Not trying to get anyones secret number just a good safe range to be in when you don't have a dyno.

Re: Timing June 10, 2010 12:08AM
Well, I think you need to know how new of a cam grind is in the pump, where it came from, and the angle of the spray pattern on your injectors. I recentlu saw a 466 binder motor, with a new pump from DIS, and new injectors start out at 38, then bump it up to 42 on the dyno, and wreck pistons. End result, the timing was at 34 when it left the dyno. But that was because of the spray pattern on the injectors. If its more of a flat pattern, you won't run very high timing, because you'll be shooting over the tops of your pistons at 40 degrees, and score them. I think that tractor was maybe at the limit already at 38 possibly. Your bore diameter will come into play here too, cuz at 466, you'll want a more flat pattern than you would if say you were 600 with a larger bore.. But depends on the diesel shop that built the injectors.

I would say if your unsure, start at 34. Its safe. You can always start it up, warm it up a bit, and then create a little heat, shut it off, then look down an injector hole with a borescope, just to find your spray pattern on your piston. If its in the bowl pretty deep, jump up 2 degrees til you get closer towards the top of the bowl. Just make sure you aren't shooting over the top!

10 years ago things were much easier! Buy your pump and injectors, put it on at 44, and go pull... 48-50 would wreck pistons. Now its getting so much harder and way more precise to make the power the other guys are because half of them have gone to a dyno somewhere, and tuned it.

Hope this helps, and saves you a ton of money!

Re: Timing June 10, 2010 12:39AM
Makes perfect sense, yes my pump and injectors came from DIS and is the latest and we are 466 with forged pistons which have the wider bowl compared to stock pistons. Don't know if that would play a factor or not. Looks like I might be backing it off!! Don't want any destruction.

Thanks for all your input you guys. Sometimes we all learn alot that someone may not tell you. Anymore is always more learning.

Re: Timing June 10, 2010 12:46AM
Is there like a general rule of thumb with pump timing to where if you want more RPM's out of your tractor you go up with the pump timing and if you want more TORQUE out of your tractor you go down with pump timing? I always thought that you would want your fuel to enter the cylinder as late as possible so pre-detonation did not occur, is there any knowledge on this? in order to get the fuel into the cylinder as late as possible, you would run a lower pump timing to get the piston closer to top dead center. This all may be incorrect information, I am more or less asking questions.

Thanks

Re: Timing June 10, 2010 03:43PM
Hopefully some more pullers who been on the dyno such as the one above will shed some light on this.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,956, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,039.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009