IH 301 help? June 09, 2010 07:40AM
I'm looking to do some head work, and was wondering to you experienced out there, should i do work to stock head to get max performance or go another rout? Is there a paticular head that has more to build off of? This is a 715 combine motor (301 gas) that I put in my farmall 460 puller. I have a bit of work done to bottom end but never did anything to head since I found motor. Rumor to my ears is that a IH truck head is out there that may be better, What's the difference, what did they come off of, and do You guys have some kind of model or serial # I must follow to have the right one?

Re: IH 301 help? June 09, 2010 11:41AM
the silver diamond head flows better stock than a ported tractor head the combine head has the best chamber and valve angle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2010 09:45AM by ktp560.

Re: IH 301 help? June 09, 2010 12:42PM
Hmmm.... Thought for a minute I was posting in my sleep, as this is almost the exact question I have been wondering! But I did find a truck head that is supposed to flow better. Now my question is will it make a difference at 3000 RPMs and stock 301 cubes? This head is supposed to be off a 306. Not sure what age or type of truck had that engine.

Re: IH 301 help? June 10, 2010 09:05AM
Does anyone perhaps have an already done head for 301 for sale?

Re: IH 301 help? June 16, 2010 01:21AM
We have a complete IH 301 engine ready to go all it needs is a chasis to put it in.

Re: IH 301 help? June 10, 2010 12:13PM
the truck head is a 221 silver diamond came in half ton trucks 194?-1957 they run great in open rpm (5000-6000)
330ci up

Re: IH 301 help? June 10, 2010 03:59PM
I have freshly rebuilt 301 w/ Ross pistons, no stroke or bore. I have low torque cam, and some dist, carb, and intake and exaust work. (nothing too fancy) in my 460. Do you think the better bang for my buck is to have my head worked? I'm running about 3600 - 3800 rpm's. Which rout would you guys go? Need a little input to feed off. This is first 460, so any info would be appreciated! Thanx Pullers....

Re: IH 301 help? June 12, 2010 06:59AM
What about 3500 Rpm,s with what I have done? Do they bolt right up, no altercations? Is this the only head that is interchangable or is there more truck heads out there and this is just the best? Is it poss., that I might be better off keeping what I got, and getting a performance head shop to build it? (since I already know my head is good) I'm totally open for suggestions, just asking you more experienced guys whom may have done this same set up. Thanks for any input pullers and mechanics!

Re: IH 301 help? June 15, 2010 10:55AM
It can be done with the stock head, it takes a lot of work and money,It depends also on the piston configuration,I had custon pistons made by Arias with a lot of pop-up and headland,this fills the large combustion area of the stock head,which is the main advantage of the truck head.You will nead larger valves also,You will probably save money if you can find a truck head at a reasonable price.I have the 460 for sale on page one call if you want more ideas,Ihave a friend that may have the head you need Ill give you his number if you want,Eric

Re: IH 301 help? June 15, 2010 01:01PM
The stock 301 head flows about 160 cfm on our flow bench. The silver diamond and the black diamond head flows better but I don't remember the cfm on our flow bench. I built a 301 stroker motor for a customer last year and built a silver diamond head for it. The results were 240cfm at .600 lift. I have two heads already built. one flows 235 cfm and the other 190 cfm both for sale. I also have high ratio rockers. Call me if your looking for 301 parts. I also have the casting numbers for the silver and black diamond heads. Also if you plan on buying a truck head make sure you get the valve cover with it, its unique to that head and the tractor cover will not fit. also the push rods are shorter and the rockers are the same casting number as the 282 diesel rockers. Try to get all that stuff with the head. Call me Ed Shoobridge 810 392 7123

Re: IH 301 help? June 15, 2010 04:03PM
the truck heads are 30cc smaller combustion chamber. big gain in power. I have talked to several people with the truck heads, i've heard everything from "it realy woke it up to didn't see much diffrence."
like every engine it's all about the total combination. low rpm, high rpms,big bore, big stroke,custom intake? the truck head is only a small piece of the puzzle. what do you plan to do with the rest of the engine? what are the rules you run? how many rpms. the tractor head combo. you can put in smaller valve guides (bronze) use ford 302 stainless valves, big block chevy valve springs. they will require cutting a bigger spring seat or pocket. for high rpms spend the money and buy titanium retaing caps for the springs. try to keep you recipitating weight as light as you can.
then open up your ports intake is most important. this is where it helps to pay a good head guy like ed that knows where to remove material from to get good flow. good luck pulling. one more thing make sure you get some thicke rpush rods, they tend to flex with higher valve tension.

Re: IH 301 help? June 17, 2010 02:19PM
Ed where are you located? I may be interested in heads, what's asking price? Do you have a good time to reach you? I'm always looking for misc. 301 IH parts. (I'll find out more about what you got when I talk to you). Thanks alot for responding, Jim

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,948, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,033.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009