how to limit my RPMs??? IH 301 gas June 11, 2010 03:30PM
I run in a 3000 RPM class, and have pretty much maxed out at 2600 using the governor. At that setting, it tends to surge easily if reved up too quickly. So I unhooked the governor, but it now revs very freely. Is there a way to limit how high it revs without the governor? It seems there is an MSD device that does this, but I would like to have it done by this weekend and it is obviously too late for that! What about a restrictor plate of some sort? Is that possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: how to limit my RPMs??? IH 301 gas June 11, 2010 04:12PM
Go get a MSD 6AL and put a 3000 chip in it and you will have better ignition plus a rev limiter, and their not that expensive.

Re: how to limit my RPMs??? IH 301 gas June 12, 2010 02:33AM
I should mention that I have Pertronix ignition on it, if that matters any.... Obviously it is too late for this weekend to buy a limiter, but I will look into that. But at $200, it is not real cheap. Sad

Re: how to limit my RPMs??? IH 301 gas June 12, 2010 03:30AM
If $200 is a lot for you to spend in tractor pulling you picked the wrong sport. You might want to stick with the stock classes.

Re: how to limit my RPMs??? IH 301 gas June 12, 2010 09:14AM
the pertronix will work fine with the msd, and maybe 200 isn't cheap, but you have to pay to play.

Re: how to limit my RPMs??? IH 301 gas June 12, 2010 01:38PM
How many RPM's can you get out of this motor with govenor unhooked? What do you mean by surging? (like pulsing real bad until it gets under load)

Re: how to limit my RPMs??? IH 301 gas June 13, 2010 02:16AM
It surges until it gets loaded, and sometimes will back off even under load, which is the bigger problem. I put some wire on to support the spring, and that seems to help. When I had the throttle hooked straight to the carb, it would rev to the sky. I have been having trouble getting a working tach hooked up that goes past 2500, so I am not sure how high it was going, but I had no control over the throttle. I think I got it working well enough for today, now to see if the weather cooperates!

Re: how to limit my RPMs??? IH 301 gas June 12, 2010 01:33PM
Use a simple throttle stop. Set it at 3,000 rpms to get you by since you're in a hurry-up pinch. Put a light on it at like 2950( for light differences) and put a pinch clamp on friction throttle housing. Denny's Carb shop even sells if you can't make your own for like $19.95

Re: how to limit my RPMs??? IH 301 gas June 13, 2010 01:23AM
that will work, but it won' t turn 3000 under a load. Your spring on the governor is not strong enough to overcome the weights of the governor. So take it a part have a scale that weighs in grams and shave weight off the weights. Make sure they weigh the same and put it together and try it. Its trial and error, and will take a little time, but it will work.

Re: how to limit my RPMs??? IH 301 gas June 13, 2010 04:17AM
Very true ], Good info to help the puller!

Re: how to limit my RPMs??? IH 301 gas June 13, 2010 04:32AM
Maybe you 301 gas jobbers can throw me some info; I'm looking to have some head work done. I have a 301 gas out of a 715 combine, new rebuild with Ross pistons (stock bore, no stroke) running about 3800 Rpm's. Had a cam ground, Dist. curved and redone, Big Zenith carb., elec ign.,Intake and exhaust manifold customized.That's the basics.... I'm wondering if I should have my head redone or look into buying a truck head. If a truck head is your suggestion, which head am I setting out to shop for? What did it come off of? maybe some kind of serial# or any info you can provide me with would be helpful. Does the truck heads have smaller combustion chambers, or better flow or bigger springs, what makes these heads better if at all? Thanks for any Info guys,Jim

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,954, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,037.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009