? for Farm Stock pullers June 20, 2010 03:53PM
I know that at least in Indiana, there are pro farms that will sometime pull in "farm stock" classes.

My question is: at what speed limit does a regular farm stock tractor have a realistic chance against a pro farm?

8 mph? 10 mph? 12 mph?

thanks for clarifying.

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 20, 2010 03:55PM
10mph is a good place to start

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 20, 2010 04:15PM
For an "off the farm tractor" 6 to 8 mph is a good farm stock tractor pull and will cut out all the big tractors

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 20, 2010 04:38PM
From my limited experience, a stock tractor with the pump turned up can handle 8mph, at 12-14,000 lbs, 10mph takes a little more work, and 12mph will need 400+ hp on a good track. If you want to make things even, 8-9 mph and no shifting or throttling after 100'.

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 20, 2010 05:17PM
That no shifting rule isnt a good idea. If you have a real farm stock tractor you may need to gear down at the other end to hold your power. Thats the whole point of a torque amplifer/ power shift/ dual power/ over under. And the throttle rule doesnt make sense either. In the field when you need more power goin up a hill or the plowing gets harder you hit the torque down and idle her up. If you think someone is out of line set an rpm limit and kick em out if they "drive dumb" Im a big proponent of farm stock tractors in a farm stock class!

That being said, 8mph is a real good speed right through 12,500lbs. Its a little fast for 8,500lbs and lighter. 6mph work pretty good at 6500 and 8500lbs. Im a farm stock puller and I like to see an entry level class where the kids and farmers can run em similar to the way they run em in the field. It grows the sport!

Make those other guys run the no speed limit class. Its where they belong.

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 20, 2010 07:45PM
I'm not talking about pulling back on the T/A. The problem is when the no-speed-limit guys come down to farm stock and slam T/A forward near the end of the run when they start to spin, and put 30 feet on the real farm stockers. 600 hp tractors are not farm stock. It's usually the guys who can't cut it in hot farm or whatever, so they get a kick out of beating a stock tractor. I think I can probably beat most garden tractors with my 12,500 lb farm stocker, but what fun is that? I've given my .02 on this before, and I'll stick with it- a hot farm tractor with cast centers is not a farm stocker. I have respect for any club's rules, and if they have a farm stock class that allows that type of tractor, that is their choice. It's just not where I want to pull, and I think it scares away a lot of potential new pullers that can help grow the sport. A pull I wanted to attend this past weekend was rained out, so I went to a pull that allows hot tractors in farm stock. I had a good time, and got some test laps in, but finished middle of the pack, and knew going in that I didn't have a chance of doing better. It was my choice to go, but how many stayed home because they knew they couldn't compete? Those hot tractors need a class of their own, and farm stock needs the same.

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 20, 2010 10:35PM
I couldnt agree with you more toolz! What you just described was what I was refering to as "Driving Dumb". Smiling This is a sore subject for many of those "stock" guys who dump a small fortune in thier "Farm Stock" tractor and then throttle the stock guys. I recently went to a tractor pull and watched 3 Oliver 1750's and White all with 5.9 cummins truck engines and thier mail order add on parts, two of them had p pumps and the rotary pumped one ran about 4500rpms........ The were so proud of themselves for beating a few stock tractors actually off the farm.

But Im not sure if they were any worse than the guy with his p pumped 750cu in JD 6030 who ran about 4000rpms and pulled with the stock guys too...... I better get off my soapbox before I get all worked up! Sorry to get off subject Original Michael!

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 21, 2010 10:58AM
I agre Farm stock is for off farm no 13-15 mm pumps,466s,466 apumps in 40204320s, 640s in 1150 MFSetc.turn the stock pump up and run 250- 300 hp,if you build a pump or put a466 or bigger in run 2hot2 farm orhot farm or the 466 what ever.

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 21, 2010 01:31PM
it is fun to watch a farm tractor work and dig it's way to the end of the track instead of racing to the end of the track. some guys need to move up and go to the next class if the motor is too hot. and you should run cast rims, rpm limit, mph limit

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 21, 2010 02:15PM
Well i am 15 years old and i pull a 856 with a turbo and a roosa master pump turned up and i pull in the 9000 lbs. class and i am always in the top 3 cause i am the fastest tractor in the class and i think it is really fun and think if you cant run with the big get out of the class. I also pull in the 12,000 lbs. class and i beat alot of the bigger tractors like 966, 1066, 1466, 4320 and so on and i think the same thing about if you cant run with the big boys get out.

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 21, 2010 02:23PM
8 mph

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 21, 2010 11:01PM
yeah, but running with the big dogs is not what farm stock is about,most of these guys know they can't run with the hot farm, or whatever is next in line, so they pull their tractors in farm stock, it's the same everywhere, even in truck pulling too.

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 22, 2010 03:22AM
Let it roll- I hate to attack a kid, but that's one of the dumber posts I've seen. The whole idea of farm Stock is ENTRY LEVEL. If you think your dad's tractor is all that tough, then move up a class or two, and see how things work out with the "big boys".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 03:24AM by toolz.

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 21, 2010 03:24PM
I think alot depends on the type of sled your pulling. If its a speed sled going faster is better, and is much easier off the line. Power sleds take alot from the get go.

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 22, 2010 03:11AM
I pull a 180 horse IH in a 10 mph 13,000 lb class.I run a little over 7 mph and have very little money in this tractor.At a recent pull I got 2nd place only 12 ft behind a 400 horse IH that can easily run 10 mph...So it looks like around 8 mph would be the equalizer.

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 22, 2010 11:38AM
I say the best equalizer for farm stock is a plow out behind the track, make every stock tractor plow up an acre or two before they hook, if they can't pull a plow for 10 minutes they can't pull farm stock. dumb as it sounds that would be the only way to get TOO HOT tractors out. always gonna be small ppl that get a big kick outta beating stockers. Oh and who cares about cast centers, I see nothing wrong with droping weight to be stock.

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 22, 2010 03:22PM
I couldnt agree more Toolz.

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 23, 2010 02:56PM
I do all the work on the tractor myself i own the tractor and everything i pay for all that happens on it and my dad does nothin to help me,and i do know what it is like to pull with the big boys cause my dad has a limited pro tractor

Re: ? for Farm Stock pullers June 23, 2010 03:44PM
have u pulled it???

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,782, Posts: 229,966, Members: 3,339.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,047.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009