Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 12:48AM
Weren't the Iowa Tractor Pullers once part of the NTPA? Was the Western Sweep once an NTPA pull? I know that Nebraska once had several large NTPA pulls as well. I was wondering if anyone could give a history lesson as far as what happened with all of this and why?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 01:25AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 01:53AM
Call Dennis Goodwin

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 02:01AM
The Hinton Pull of the Western Sweep used to be a NTPA pull. The others could have been as well. It used to be in Region 3. When ITPA switched to be with the Outlaws is when things changed. The above post of Jimmy is correct. If you want to know the real reason why it would be best to call Dennis Goodwin as he is president of the ITPA and believe he was also when the switch was made.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 02:04AM
when did the switch actually happen?

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 02:51AM
The Nebraskas State Fair used to be NTPA and Hildreth, NE had a huge NTPA Grand National Pull that I have seen pictures from years ago.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 03:41AM
You are right Chris, the Hildreth pull used to be a huge grand national pull back in the 80's, and the Nebraska State Fair was the last NTPA Grand National points event of the year up until at least 1990 or so. The NTPA still had 4 mod classes at that time (5200, 7200, 9200, and 11200) and they were awesome. Engler and the Banters and Gardner Stone and the Miller mod and many others in that era were the most unbelievable machines the sport had ever seen. That was also about the time that a couple of the alky super stocks, such as, Connor Brothers were finally starting to get the alky's to run good. They didn't run good all the time yet, but when they did you could see that they were capable of running a gear or two taller than the best diesels.

Then there was an ugly break-up and divorce between the Nebraska State Fair board and the NTPA. Never did really come out who was at fault, or maybe both sides, but the bottom line is that the NTPA was never back to the Nebraska State Fair. The State Fair then went to an Outlaw, Nebraska Bush, and NeTPA co-sanctioned pull for quite a few years. That was a decent show but the fair never really recovered from the loss of the NTPA pull.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 04:36AM
If you go on to Youtube you can watch old TV clips of the NTPA Great Plains Nationals (Hildreth, NE pull) Garnder Stone, and all thos guys where there! I go to diesel tech school in Hastings, NE and have a friend who lives in Minden, NE which is just down the road from Hildreth so when i went to see him once i had to make a pit stop in Hildreth. I remember going to the pull when i was just a little little kid. pull was on the east side of Hildreth, when i went down there last year you can tell where it happened, the dirt was still all nice flat from where the tracks where but thats pretty much all thats there, wish they still had that pull!

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 02:55AM
As I recall the ITPA was a member state of the NTPA.
I don't recall Onawa, Hinton, Carroll and Boone being region III events, but NTPA Iowa state events.
In those days the NTPA Region mod class rules allowed 2 hemis with 14's or 3 chevys with 8's, but I'm pretty sure we were the first to ever run 3 chevys at Hinton, after the Outlaws allowed 3.
The ITPA left the NTPA and joined the Outlaws at the sametime as NTPA was mandating roll cages built to the SFI spec. This was approximately 1999, our first year with a cage was either '99 or '00 which was before Outlaws needed the SFI spec cage, we had it on so we could run NTPA.
This is how I remember it.

member states as of 6-1988 June 30, 2010 05:54AM
member state association's,as posted in june 1988 puller magazine.

canadian tractor pullers assoc.
canadian tractor pullers assoc.
colorado tractor pullers assoc.
florida tractor pullers assoc.
georgia tractor pullers assoc.
illinois tractor pullers assoc.
hoosier state tractor pullers assoc.
iowa tractor pullers assoc.
kansas tractor pullers assoc.
kentucky state tractor pullers assoc.
deep south truck and tractor pullers,inc.(louisiana)
wolverine pullers,inc.(michigan)
united pullers of minnesota
tractor pullers of missouri
high country tractor and truck pullers assoc.(montana and wyoming)
nebraska tractor pullers
new hampshire tractor pullers assoc.
new mexico tractor pullers assoc.
new york tractor pullers assoc.
north carolina tractor pullers assoc.
ohio state tractor pullers assoc.
oklahoma tractor pullers assoc.
pennsylvania tractor pullers assoc.
south carolina tractor pullers assoc.
south dakota tractor pullers assoc.
tennessee state tractor pullers assoc.
texas tractor pullers assoc.
vermont tractor pullers assoc.
old dominion tractor pullers assoc.(virginia)
wisconsin tractor pullers assoc.

now look in the back of a current puller at the member states,kinda makes you scratch your head and wonder what happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 06:04AM by patches.

Re: member states as of 6-1988 June 30, 2010 09:46AM
NTPA basically went belly up in the late 1980's. which caused alot of discontent among the member states...I was at Tulsa,OK for the World Finals in Oct 1987 or 1988 when the promoter up and left. You should have been in the pits that Sunday afternoon.There were plenty of mad pullers.

By the early-mid 1990's NTPA had lost almost all of their member states west of the Mississippi.The farm crisis caused pulling to almost die in some of the high plains states such as Texas,Oklahoma,Colorado,Kansas,Wyoming,and Montana...In the 1980's Nebraska and Iowa used to have lots of NTPA competitors but that number is quite small today.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 06:31AM
Craig
You are correct. I was a part of that discussion that formed the Western Sweep. We met in Des Moines with the Hinton, Boone Iowa group along with the Carroll Ne. group. Today it is still Outlaw but I understand Boone is not part of the Western Sweep. Correct me if I'm wrong. I am no longer a part of the Onawa pull unfortanantly
Steve Hansohn

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 03:38AM
Forgot to mention that I wasn't trying bring up some hard feelings. Just an interested fan who is interested in the history of pulling before I became a fan about 10 years ago. Thanks.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 04:25AM
history is always interesting i often wonder when itpa changed also. i remember going to pulls in the eairly 90's seeing goodwin pulling in minnesota. i remember sweet pain with 2 engins and christens with 2 running in minnesota also against doc's 3. there were lots of dss running around here then. of course some were super farms running in the dss. those were the days before super farms. i was just getting into tractor pulling. i didnt know all the in's and out's about classes and rules. my have things changed with the internet. we get lots of pulling education here now.Grinning

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 05:45AM
There was alot of Iron out western Nebraska, Colorado, and Wyoming too that I have seen in old puller magazines.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 08:53AM
itpa split from ntpa when goodwin tried to split the alky ss from the diesel ss that was a no go in ntpa until after itpa went to outlaws. alky tractors were starting to show there dominace. I rememeber esdon and goodwin trying to chase down wipf and some other alky tractors in the 90's. Massena, Ia was a great region 5 pull and so was Council Bluffs, Ia. Caused a lot of stink back then. Goodwin killed the ntpa out west. Funny thing is alky and diesel still compete against each other in ntpa regional events, just not in grand national. Created a lot of bad feelings among pullers and fans alike. Bad Bad memories.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 03:14PM
Best thing that happened to pulling out west is Outlaws. Most places had just about died out and Iowa was in trouble. The few Regional pulls in Iowa were getting less and less vehicles each year and the state was about done. Dennis had enough brains to hook up with Outlaws and everything has been better for the pullers, promoters and fans every since. NTPA has broke many a promoter out here and Outlaws has made them money and saved lots of the promoters that were left. A lot of the big pulls Outlaws started from scratch or really made them grow in the last 5 years ( Ravenna, Rock Valley, Wisner, Jeff City, Dell Rapids).

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 03:45PM
The OUTLAWS did nothing for these pulls, it was just a regional thing. The promoters made these pulls successful. All the outlaws do is show up late and leave early, and as a promoter I know what it takes to get these events to be sucessful, and the work starts before 7:00 the night of the show, it starts months before.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 08:19PM
Well, we got most of the way thru that thread before the pizzing contest started!

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA June 30, 2010 09:31PM
So is that why Wisner, Rock Valley, and Dell Rapids keeps checking with NTPA on date availability?
And you may want to look at the class line up for Jeff City !!!!!!!
More NTPA classes than Outlaw.
Like was said below, the PROMOTER makes or breaks the show.
You may want to note attendance at the Iowa State Fair, there are record front gate sales, but sales and attendance at the pull keeps going down. Why? Because they see the same stuff they see at every Outlaw show at every county fair, only more of it.
NO more power at the Iowa State fair than they can see the rest of the season, for a lot lower ticket price.
I think a lot of fans of POWER, will go to New Hampton, just to be able to see unlimited mods again, like they used to be able to see at the Iowa State Fair, you know, before Outlaws came to town.
ITPA going to Outlaws saved the group, and made the KING look like a hero.
Take all the ITPA events off the Outlaw schedule and see what you have.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA July 01, 2010 12:55AM
All I know as a long time fan, Outlaws sure brought a lot more trucks and tractors to the pulls. The western sweep was down to just a few vehicles that hooked 2 or 3 times each night and now there is close to 100 hooks and you never see the same truck or tractor twice. Outaws made a heck of a difference.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA July 01, 2010 01:36AM
Harold - go it a rest, we know you are anti outlaw

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA July 01, 2010 02:48AM
ITPA doesn't haave very strong tractors or pulls. period

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA July 01, 2010 03:53AM
If you think ITPA sucks post your name jack ???

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA July 01, 2010 02:02PM
NTPA is making a slow come back, Im going to Rockwell next week and wouldnt miss New Hampton the next weekend and Waverly puts on a good show also. NTPA will be back just give it sometime. It just takes more promoters, more pullers, and more fans to make the shows a go!

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA July 08, 2012 01:57AM
I remember the split between ITPA and NTPA I was only a boy at the time and I was really mad when it happened because I liked to see the NTPA Grand National level competition, and until New Hampton, NTPA Grand National were non existent in Iowa. But then I realized the Outlaws are not bad, at most of their events they are able to provide more classes than NTPA. With that said the level of competition may not be the same. I think NTPA will eventually have more events in Iowa again. The big problem an NTPA event, from my understanding, it takes more effort from the promoter. Either way Outlaw or NTPA I will go because I am a fan of pulling.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA July 08, 2012 04:57AM
Why is Carroll Nebraska no longer on schedule?

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA July 09, 2012 03:02AM
Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but if I remember correctly. The NE state fair board thought horse racing would generate more income for the fair than tractor pulling. So they tried that a couple of years and figured out it was a mistake and couldn't get the NTPA pull back for that weekend.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA July 09, 2012 06:19AM
I heard Carroll wants to have a 3 day event so they are looking for a differant date.

Re: Iowa and Nebraska History and NTPA July 10, 2012 01:57AM
facts are facts the last year the ntpa was in onawa and hinton there wer less than 20 hooks for the whole show now there is between 80 and 100 and as far as the level of competition between outlaws and ntpa just look at results at tomah and louisville over the years the outlaws have some very strong machines that would compete very well with the "so called big boys of the ntpa" aka goodwin ullmer demers bowles just to name a few there is great pulling all across america no matter what organization your in its great to watch and great for the sport

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009