which racing automatic trans fluid is best for pulling??Confused July 04, 2010 10:23AM
What auto trans fluid is the best? Where do I get some? Why do you think it's the best? I have a turbo 400 built for pulling it doesn't shift. I use 3rd/high gear only and reverse. thanks!

Re: which racing automatic trans fluid is best for pulling??Confused July 05, 2010 06:58AM
I use to mud race a ford c-6. The guy who built my trans told me all the special " race or high performance " ATF was just a sales pitch and was no better than off the shelf parts store stuff. I was useing TCI ATF. It was green like antifreeze and cost 3 times what regular ATF cost. He told me to stop waisting my money. I know he knew his stuff, he built a lot of high HP drag car tranns. and it was the last one I needed built also. That tranns. only used regular red ATF. Maby their is something better but I had no problems with good old red parts store ATF.

Re: which racing automatic trans fluid is best for pulling??Confused July 05, 2010 08:02AM
in drag cars some use case ih hytran search turbo mustang fourm

Re: which racing automatic trans fluid is best for pulling??Confused July 05, 2010 08:09AM
Just use namebrand ATF and change it when it changes colors or starts smelling bad.

Re: which racing automatic trans fluid is best for pulling??Confused July 05, 2010 09:59AM
Switched to Amzoil in our powerglides on the racecars and we have way better results than regular ATF fluid. I guess the proof is that the person who builds our trannies made a statement that the clutches looked brand new after 35 nights from one car with a legit 400 hp / 430 torque smallblock in it. Before we where getting 12 nights before a rebuild and that was changing the fluid every 4 nights. With the Amzoil ,we changed every 10 nights. Hope this helps..

Re: which racing automatic trans fluid is best for pulling??Confused July 05, 2010 11:48AM
600 hp. 125 passes , clutches have the part nos. still on them TYPE A

Re: which racing automatic trans fluid is best for pulling??Confused July 05, 2010 03:19PM
Your post doesn't say if you are using a cooler or not, if you aren't, I'd do that before I spent money on miracle oil. Adding a cooler to my modified tractor improved oil life by 300%. A condensing coil from a car air conditioner will dissipate a lot of heat and add to the volume of fluid in your system.

Re: which racing automatic trans fluid is best for pulling??Confused July 05, 2010 02:03PM
Thanks for all the input.Smiling Still torn between syntheic or off the self. Heat and foaming is what worries me most. The last run I made, with a fresh rebuilt, trans built alot of heat. I pulled the dip stick and the fluid smelled hot ,but not burnt and the color was still red. That run was at 24% final drive in a mod 4x4. The run went great, but when I was loading on the trailer after the pull. (everything still warm.) I had to rev the motor up to about 3500 to get the truck to make the climb on to the trailer. 3500 is around stall speed, but it has made the climb before with less RPMs. 24% is the highest gear I have used so far and I need to get up to 23% yet to start getting into the top 5. Also I dropped the tranny pan today and looked for clutch fines and there was next to none. That run was made with Carquest ATF. Thanks again for all the input! Thumbs Up

just wondering July 06, 2010 02:10AM
just wondering how many people out there run automatics. and if so do you think it hurts or helps you.

Re: which racing automatic trans fluid is best for pulling??Confused July 06, 2010 02:33AM
Anybody running John Deere HyGard?? Heard of some racers using it??

Re: which racing automatic trans fluid is best for pulling??Confused July 06, 2010 04:30AM
yes hygard the better grade or hytran. they run in turbo race cars .

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,766, Posts: 229,932, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM