Restoring a JD 630 July 14, 2010 03:24PM
I recently received a John Deere 630 after my grandfather passed away. The tractor is in good shape, but as with any working machine, can use a little work. I'm not ready to start doing work on it yet, but am starting to do a little research for replacement parts, etc. I know there are tons of people on this site that have restored tractors, and am looking for a little advice regarding paint and parts. Any advice when it comes time to beginning the restoration process? I'd like to do as much of the work myself as I can, saying that with no mechanical experience : )

Anyway, are there notable places to look for parts? And as far as painting, can I have a reputable auto painter do it?

Totally ignorant here, just looking for some advice from the pros.

Thanks,

Eric

Re: Restoring a JD 630 July 14, 2010 05:00PM
eric,you might want to post on the john deere forum on yesterdays tractor.i check out all the brand forums on there regularly.there many good peices of advice,and lots of guys that will always answer questions.

Re: Restoring a JD 630 July 14, 2010 11:42PM
Johnnypopper.com is a real good place to go. They are real good with the 2 banger stuff

Re: Restoring a JD 630 July 15, 2010 01:49PM
Thanks for the info guys!

Re: Restoring a JD 630 July 15, 2010 02:30PM
Johnnypopper.com is a great, great site.

K&K Antique Tractors, in Shelbyville, is an excellent resource for parts, gauges, etc. and the nice vinyl-cut decals. The Old Tractor Company out in Colorado is good for hard-to-find parts as well.

Are you missing any thing major on it?

Re: Restoring a JD 630 July 17, 2010 03:22PM
No, everything seems to be there...some things just need to be freshened up.

Again, thanks to each of you for the input. Some great advice on here.

Re: Restoring a JD 630 July 15, 2010 03:33PM
My brother and I used to restore two cylinders for people. What ever you do don't sand blast. No matter what you do there is always sand that you can not get to and in time will damage new seals. We alway used John Deere paint with hardner. We would strip the tractor down, degrease it, sand it, then we used spray cans in the hard to get places so that when you put the final paint on you knew you had everything covered. Good Luck and enjoy.

Re: Restoring a JD 630 January 20, 2020 12:49PM
my dad is restoring a 1959 John Deere 630, he needs to know if this was the classic JD green or the Ag green. We are finding mixed info on when they switched the John Deere Green color

Re: Restoring a JD 630 January 23, 2020 04:26AM
Should be Clasic Green but I think Ag Green looks better.

Re: Restoring a JD 630 January 23, 2020 02:51AM
Steph, I've always been told that the classic was used on all of the two cylinders and the Ag green began with the New Generation of Deere. JD began using the inline 4 & 6 cylinders in 1960.

Re: Restoring a JD 630 January 23, 2020 03:07PM
I thought the new Ag Green paint started with the 30 series 2 cyl lineup.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009