low end torque July 26, 2010 03:06PM
I have a hot farm tractor and it seems to not have any low end torque. You run it down the track and everything seems good then it just falls on its face. I am trying to think of all the possibilities for what this could be. Can some of you post and see if I am over looking anything. Would compression ratio cause this? I am building decent boost but don't now where it goes. Thanks

Re: low end torque July 26, 2010 03:24PM
could be your cam grind. too short of stroke vs. your cylinder bore. just a couple ideas.

Re: low end torque July 26, 2010 03:44PM
might just be timing. we had a issue like that and adjusted timing and that helped a lot

Re: low end torque July 27, 2010 03:07PM
We have changed the timing alot, nothing seems to make a big difference. Even ran a little advanced over stock and got worse. The cam is the same we have always run, degreed where we had it. Wondering about anything else. We freshened the motor up, could it just be that tight still?

Re: low end torque July 27, 2010 03:24PM
do anything with the head when ya freshened the motor?

Re: low end torque July 30, 2010 01:27PM
I am having the same problem with low end torque. I am new to pulling and am running farm stock/hot stock. 466jd, stock bore and stroke, stock cam,8.1 head,55series exhaust and intake, 3lm466, 10mm apump @ 320cc fuel. I do just fine in the speed limit classes. My problem is with the race type sleds. I can start the sleds with no problem my smoke clears out boost drops. When pan drops motor dies off bcause of no time to build boost back.

Rules state no turbo larger than a 3lm466, 10mm a pump, stock looking feeder pump.

What am I missing???

Re: low end torque July 27, 2010 03:53PM
Your turbo is not matched for the rpm you want or your timing may be off. It should be advanced well past stock. Do you have alot of smoke? Does it start hard or fire instantly when you crank it over? What is your timing set at? The more info you provide, the more things people trying to help you can eliminate as a problem. What engine are you running? Tell one of these guys your set up and they will nail it down for you. There are alot of very knowledgable people here for every brand.

Re: low end torque July 27, 2010 06:25PM
i would agree i would say to much fuel for the turbo or head had that problem last year take off and run good get to the end of the track and it would fall on its face turned the fuel down and it ran much better this year bigger turbo a little more timing fuel back up and runs great one more thing time it with a light the marks on my pump were 9 degress off from having the cam ground and the pump builder falled to let me know so i ran half the season at much lower timing than i thought also causing no torque just some ideas from problems i had with no torque

Re: low end torque July 28, 2010 01:24AM
So you think that there could be some trouble in the head? What would that be? Flowing to much air?

Re: low end torque July 28, 2010 01:39AM
Could be your timing, to much fuel, turbo, turbo housing. Are you checking your timing with marks on your flywheel or balancer, or are you using a timing light. Is your turbo to big? Is your exhaust housing to big? You need to tell us what you have so we can help you. Your not using your name, so no one will know who you are if you are worried about that.

Re: low end torque July 28, 2010 06:11AM
Check your cam timing.They have been known to slip on the crank gear or idler gear.Just a thought.

Re: low end torque July 28, 2010 06:16AM
We had the same problem, at that time we were running a 466 cube, but we tried a truck manifold. Did not work went and bought a stock IH manifold and it took care of the problem. We were loosing exhaust energy towards the 2/3 to 3/4th way down the track.

Re: low end torque July 28, 2010 12:51PM
Did you weld your crank gear?? Is your pusher pump keeping up when you need the fuel??

Re: low end torque July 29, 2010 09:34AM
i got the same problem with my ford 9000. put a truck head and crower cam on, now its lost all low end. guess i need a bigger pump now

Re: low end torque July 29, 2010 10:30AM
Your problem is the cam. Those stock ford cams are hard to beat in the low to mid rpm range. Those heads wake those engines right up. So either you got a cam thats not right for your set up or you are trying to run the wrong turbo. If all you changed was the head and cam, its the cam.

Re: low end torque July 29, 2010 10:55AM
You can by my tractor, big block, Red, 4.2 charger, Hyper guts in the engine, 5730 pounds bare, nice sheet metal and paint! 4 pulls this year so far, and 4 first places!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,747, Posts: 229,890, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,087, Posts: 225,994.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM