Way to hot what to do? August 01, 2010 06:26AM
I run a ford in a hot farm class. Exhaust temperature is running anywhere from 1800 to 1900 degrees. Our sensor is before the charger. I can not run water to help cool it off. We have had the timing anywhere from 32 to 43 degrees and it does not change it. Have tried running more fuel and the tractor will not get up on top of itself. Just looking for some suggestions on anything that will help. Thanks

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 01, 2010 09:22AM
Are you allowed to open up the turbine housing any?(rule wise)

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 01, 2010 09:50AM
Intake has to be a 2.4 and there is no rule about ehaust housings

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 01, 2010 12:11PM
If you are not having any problems getting the charger to spool up, talk to a deisel shop and tell them what is happening. Ask them about opening the exhaust housing up a bit. It may not take much, just enough to get the heat out the stack instead of keeping it in the manifold. It sounds to me like you are "choking" it.

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 01, 2010 12:17PM
I have not thought of that. Would that also cause it to die sooner at the other end. Think that it can not push exhaust out, that can not keep the turbo spinning.

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 01, 2010 02:17PM
Put a boost gauge on the exhaust side to see how much back pressure you have compared to boost on intake side.

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 01, 2010 03:41PM
It might, but what are you more concerned about? 1800 degrees or the other end of the track? I myself would be more concerned about the 1800 degrees before i am concerned about the other end of the track.
Take small steps at a time. You WILL get it right.

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 02, 2010 10:06AM
Just want to bring back to the top and see if there is any other suggestions. Is it possible that there is to much fuel and it is burning it as it goes out the exhaust pipe?

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 02, 2010 10:48AM
another question, why is your probe before the charger?

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 02, 2010 11:35AM
Should I have it after the charger? Does it matter? I don't know just asking.

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 02, 2010 11:51AM
I have always been told before the charger is best place because it gives you a better idea on what the cylinder temp is.

What is your exhaust pressure? Maybe your housing isn't sized right. Get a reading on that and it should be within 10lbs of your boost.

Fuel and timing are really the only things you'll be able to adjust to cool it off. After you get an exhaust reading and get that housing right, if you have temp problems, give it more fuel. Overfueling will help cool your temps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 12:02PM by Bullet Fan.

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 02, 2010 04:26PM
the pyrometer will normally direct you to plavr the prove 3 inches after the turbo.
timing should move the hot spot, advanced should push it our and retard should pull it back towards the engine.
Normally get more boost with retarded timing but turbos will not last long.
Would you happen to know where your cam timing is set?

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 03, 2010 09:22AM
My probe is right before the turbo. We advanced the pump 10 degrees further than we hac it and the temperature stayed the same. I appericate all of the help.

Re: Way to hot what to do? August 07, 2010 03:06AM
The cam has been at 96 and 101 degrees intake open. No change in performance or temp. I helped build this and I have a few other ideas. Our compression is at 11.7:1.
Could this hurt at max torque development? I found a restricted crankcase vent tube this morning. Closed to a 1/2" Could this build crankcase pressure at the end? It seems to never level out and sing. Its fighting itself internally. The only changes this year is the cam and compression ratio. We used a different piston to avoid welding them shut. Haven't mastered piston distortion from welding.
Thanks for the help!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009