Is it Possible?? DT466 into a 1 ton truck Puller...... August 03, 2010 06:54PM
Ok, so Im building my second pulling truck, and Im trying to go the unique route.......I know its been done before with some great results, but I only know of 2.....one Melissa Dano, but that truck wont be pulling for a while, and Frank Puskarich, but I havent seen him around it quite a while!!

Ive tried asking questions on other diesel truck sites, with very little success! so I thought I would come on here and see what I can find out!!

Now, this truck is not being built as a top notch, national competitor, more of a lets have fun, build something different, and pull when I can, so I dont need to go all out on everything!

What Im starting with is a 93 Dodge Ext. Cab DRW on a 97 4x4 chassis. I know if I try this, Im going to have to do quite a bit of cutting on the firewall and such, but its just a puller, so that doesnt bother me. And getting the motor in is the easier part......Plans for the motor are going to be very straight foreward in the beginning and then work from there if I can get it to work out! Im wanting to get in the 800hp range with out getting into the motor too severe. Hopefully just pump work, valvetrain upgrades, and a good turbo can get me there....but I am not 100% sure.....

But what Im having trouble with is drivetrain....what is going to hold up, and what is going to work??? Id like to go with something easy, because a rockwell, drop box and reverser and not quite in the plans yet. Can I get a Med. Duty trans to hold up? Then divorce a Military transfercase to the trans and run maybe a rockwell rear if I can get one, and a D60 front?

I realy just wanting to get the truck together right now and running, then a few pulls, and then upgrade to all the drivetrain goodies as I go. I know that might make it harder in the end, but pulling on a budget is forcing this.

If anyone can give me some pointers to get going in the right direction, I would be very greatfull!!!!

Re: Is it Possible?? DT466 into a 1 ton truck Puller...... August 04, 2010 02:53AM
Use a Rockwell SQHD (semi) rear. Weld the spiders, since it appears you can't afford a spool. Narrow it up and put H170 spindles/hubs on it and spend money for GOOD axles. This will actually save you money in the long run.
Find a Rockwell FDS75 (106 front). Weld spiders, yadda yadda yadda. Once you start making a 60 strong enough to take the pressure, it'll make the Rockwell look cheap !!!!! And you'll break the 60 stuff anyway.
Don't mess with a military T/C! Not even the 5 ton. It MAY hold up, (for awhile), but if you break it, it'll make a Pro Fab or SCS T/C look cheap. And the Pro Fab and SCS aren't that much used.
Use HUGE u-joints! Find ones the size that come with the SQHD rear and they will be ALMOST big enough.
And the 466 in a pickup will be an exhibition only vehicle wherever you go.

Re: Is it Possible?? DT466 into a 1 ton truck Puller...... August 04, 2010 09:05AM
I thought several of the classes running the Open/Mod Style trucks, are going to a CI only rule next year. 470ci or less, no matter ag engine or truck engine.

Re: Is it Possible?? DT466 into a 1 ton truck Puller...... August 04, 2010 12:26PM
Around here it is just street legal. most places dont check turbos or anything. just need tags and ins.

Re: Is it Possible?? DT466 into a 1 ton truck Puller...... August 04, 2010 04:13PM
I think if U go back ot CompD.. there is someone with a ford with a Deere 466.. Like U said.. I think the trans is going to be the issue..
Good Luck,
Bryan

Re: Is it Possible?? DT466 into a 1 ton truck Puller...... August 04, 2010 11:18PM
Ya, I PM'd they guy, he auctually did a big write up on it and I got quite a lot of good info off of it. Im going to use the same trans he is (Spicer CM5552A) and try close to hisw same set up because what he has, is right at what Im looking to do.

As far as CI limits I do believe it is 470ci, I dont plan to punch it out any, so I should be good. Running Mod class I know its a kinfe in a radar guided missle fight, but oh well, at least Im pulling!!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,769, Posts: 229,936, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,026.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009