farm stock speed limits August 11, 2010 09:24AM
i know that a lot of clubs have gone to setting speed limits in their farm stock classes, i am wondering what speeds most have set for like 10700, 11700, and 12700, or there abouts (as far as the weight goes). and also what gears and rpm's those tractos run. i am wondering for both deeres and ih's

Re: farm stock speed limits August 11, 2010 12:58PM
Around here (SW Penn.) speed limits are 4 mph for 5500-7500; 5 mph in 9500 and 6 mph for 12,000 and up. Works good. Anyone can run faster than 6 mph at the start, but it takes a lot of power to run faster than 6 mph at the end of the track.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 12, 2010 05:44AM
Around here in IL, we were suggested to use our 10 mph gear. Most have adhered to it, but a couple seem to have forgotten! I personally think a 12mph limit would be great, still fast enough to keep people's interest, but not so fast to be a safety concern, as well as to give the "out of field" tractors a fighting chance. If our class were 6 mph, or something like that, I wouldn't be pulling.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 12, 2010 05:52AM
i agree 6mph is too slow, i would like to see it be a 12mph, but the talk is that it will be 10mph, from what i have heard most of the 3000rpm tractors are running at 16mph so they want there to be a greater difference in the speeds of the two classes

Re: farm stock speed limits August 12, 2010 06:17AM
Rules are made for the type of tractors that you expect to show up for a pull. Anything faster than the 6 mph just pulls in the open stock class at the fair around here since there's just a handful that can run 10+ mph from start to finish. This isn't the midwest where 200 hp tractors can hook to the sled one night then be a plow tractor the next. The farms around here aren't big enough for that much tractor.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 12, 2010 08:51AM
You will need a lot more than 200 hp, or 300 for that matter, to pull 10 or 11 mph towards the end of the track in those weight classes. At that level there isn't too much "stock" about them any more.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 14, 2010 11:58AM
I pull a 12mph 12000# class and have a lot of fun with it. keeps the super high dollar stuff out and I can afford to pull

Re: farm stock speed limits August 12, 2010 09:15AM
I pull in northwestern WI with a 1466 I like to run 2nd High, I can get to about 11.5mph and I use the TA sometimes at the end of the track. the only thing done to my tractor is the pump is turned up and I have a 3lm turbo so anybody that says a 11,000 pound "stock" tractor cant go ten mph is probably correct but mine still bales hay so its not far from stock. I have ran as slow as 6mph and still competed well, so do speed limits really change a thing? I have done well at both speeds so if the tractor pulls at one speed it will probably pull at all speeds. Just my opinion.. Its a tractor pull not a parade pick a gear open it up and see what its got, pulls are about who can make power not who has better tires..

Re: farm stock speed limits August 12, 2010 10:46AM
I also pull in NW Wisconsin. We have 3 clubs that say they want true farm stock tractors. But tractors not turned up will only go 4.5-5 mph at the end of the track. They say that's too slow and it is. However where does it stop. In heavier classes it takes 250HP at the end to go 7.5mph. Most stock tractors can make that HP w/out any money spent on them. That's where it should stop. 3lm turbos are not allowed in these clubs. If it's ok to spend 1-3k xtra why not spend 3-5k to beat the other guy. Thats not farm stock! Even then the clubs are determining farm stock by how well you pull not how much speed and power you make. My 7.5 mph tractor is put in the too hot to farm class because it "wins" while 10-12 mph tractors are considered farm stock. 8-10 mph is the speed limit around here when they have a speed limit.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 13, 2010 03:18AM
to the 4455 what gear do u run in? do they limit your rpm's

Re: farm stock speed limits August 13, 2010 04:44AM
We run C1-2. C2 in the beginning for appearance but we shift to C1 early so we do run out of power. Some clubs have an rpm limit of "stock" but they don't seem to enforce it. The clubs tried to rely on the speed limit to hold the tractors in check. Typically most farm stock tractors (even if they're turned up) don't run 3000 rpms. 2800 rpms is the most I run even when allowed to go higher. The problem we are having is the clubs have a speed limit but they're not paying the xtra $ to have the sled guy bring the radar this year. So there is no means of holding the tractors in check. Two of the clubs created a "too hot to farm" class which is a step above farm stock. It seems to be working pretty good. But they forced some farmstock tractors in that class that were "winning" too much. So the speed range of that class is 7.5 to 24 mph and up to 3800 rpms.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 13, 2010 05:50AM
do those clubs have a web site? i'd be interested in reading the "rules". and someone getting kicked outa the farm class cause they run too hard, never heard of that one before lol

Re: farm stock speed limits August 12, 2010 09:23AM
Our group runs 10 mph for all stock classes and it works fine.With our sled it only takes 300 horses to run 10 mph at 13,000 lbs,Most any tractor can be built for 1-3K above the purchase price and we have lots of colors pulling. The crowds just dont seem to like tractors that go slower than 10 mph.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 13, 2010 11:23AM
Here are a couple links to what farmstock around our area is like.

The Hampton video is 7.5 mph, the sled has a horn if you go over the speed after 100 ft your disqualified.

The Bremer pull is 5.5 mph with pace tractor.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 13, 2010 02:08PM
Thanks for posting the video JD FS. If you look in the stands at the bremer pull.There was at most 50 fans.Its just my .02 cents that is what happens when your speeds get too slow. And if the promotor is not making any money after sled hire,prize money,trackprep.ins.trophies,etc.It wont be long before they have lawnmower racing or something on your date and time. Then we will be pulling in a hay field with no rules or saftey equipment and the same fans.Moral of the story is pullers show up to put on a good show fans show up to see good shows.Thanks for the space.again just my .02

Re: farm stock speed limits August 13, 2010 05:37PM
At the Bremer pull the stands were full on the side where the camera probly >600 people this is also the track where they have ntpa pulls that can hold around 5000 people. After each class they also have an "Outlaw" class which has no speed limit and the a lot of the tractors that pull farmstock pull outlaw. The tractors in the outlaw class ran 12-15 mph. For my .02 cents I think in some ways it takes more skill as a driver to pull the slower class with a pace tractor.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 13, 2010 05:49PM
Well said. It takes a lot more knowledge of your machine to pull with a speed limit/pace tractor than an open speed class. You need to know more about what gear to pick so the tractor doesn't fall on it's face at the end and a lot more about balancing the weight to get every last inch out of your tractor. In these speed limit classes, it's easier to tell which drivers did their homework and which ones just wrote a check to get their machine to the track.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 13, 2010 11:56PM
So you"re saying going slow is harder than faster? Must be why NASCAR gets so many fans. They go to watch the slow, smarter drivers.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 14, 2010 12:32AM
If you feel that way turn your rpms back to stock and put cast wheels back on and pull true farmstock. Farm tractors generally are designed to pull equipment at 5 mph. The promoters at waverly told you the way its gonna be next year and why. If you want to pull our outlaw class put on the safety equipment. Initial cost sucks but a lot cheaper than lawsuit. I pulled my flywheel this winter and found cracks could stick my fingernail in. Pulled speed limit with heartland guys and it is challenging to do, but built my tractor for speed. see you in plainfield.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 14, 2010 02:55AM
You must have me mixed up with someone else. I do have cast wheels also all safety equipt. Pull 10200. Never been to Waverly.

Re: farm stock speed limits August 14, 2010 09:53AM
sorry wrong post was meant for jd fs

Re: farm stock speed limits August 13, 2010 03:54PM
im from southern ontario and around here if the tires arent spinning and the tractor isnt haulin down the track, then fans wouldnt come. tractor pulling is about the rush of adrenaline you get watching and competing. wheel speed on tractors around here can get up to and past 60 mph and everyone just loves it. for farm stock we just let the boys run what they brung and let them let loose down the track.

Hey fs1466 and 4455 August 13, 2010 06:08PM
Don't mean to change the subject but we would like to have you guys at the pull in Ogilvie next friday. Sounds like you are just across the border from us. Would be glad to have you come over and pull.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,954, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,037.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009