NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 26, 2010 02:15AM
LIGHT SUPER STOCK TRACTORS:

Submitted By: Larry Phillips, Kevin Lynn

1. Change the weight from 6200 lbs to 6500 lbs. State Regional and Grand National. ( For safety) The scales change so much from one puller to another. 8 ply tires which are lighter but no longer available from Firestone.

I hope lots of people speak out against this one.

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 26, 2010 02:45AM
Get use to it because most all the big players are alcohol tractors and run as hard now as the big ones. They have the most votes. Everyone has seen what happened when they added the extra 200 lbs to the class and turned it into about all alcohol. Its not about saftey, its about the alcohol tractors want the extra weight to run 10 ply tires so they can compete better in the big class when they hook it. That means there is only 1700 lbs different between them and the big tractors and fans willl not be able to tell the difference. (they do not blow smoke, they all sound the same, they all turn the tires the same.) Why not just have one alcohol tractor class somewhere between the 6500 and 8200 and put them all together. (fans would not know the difference). The numbers are way down in both class in every association. There use to be 7500 & 9500 supers, 5800 & 6200 2wd & 4wd, 5500,7500,9500 mods and now they all grew together into one class each. Leave the light super at 6200 or better yet lower it closer to the 5500 it started out years ago so the diesel and alcohol can still compete together and bring back color and different combinations. Does every class in pulling have to be for the bigger block JD, IH, AC, etc.

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 26, 2010 02:51AM
There is not an entire class in the country designed for an AC. Just to clarify that

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 26, 2010 02:57AM
Just go run the 82 and leave the drivers class alone!!!! If you can't control it go get ag tires, lower the drawbar or god forbid turn down the boost. This change will take all of the driving out and make this class just about hp.

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 26, 2010 03:27AM
I'm a future lss puller and like the new rule change. I believe it will add more tractors and yes make it safer.

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 26, 2010 04:00AM
Just make it 7000lbs so everyone in the class will have to run a $20K billit head, run 110 lbs of boost and work on them like top fuel cars!!! NTPA should not let a few people make decisions for the 100's of other pullers in the country. If anything take it back to 6000lbs. For all you "Safety" freaks, bout the second time you ring ur bell on the cage, you will learn what not to do!!!

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 26, 2010 11:57AM
As a lss puller adding more weight will just allow them to go farther down the track. If you things more equal take weight away and make them drive it. If you cant drive it at that weight don't build it!!!

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 26, 2010 11:36AM
Are you sure that Kevin Lynn submitted that? Kevin is one of the smoothest and safest drivers in the class and I would think that he would rather keep it a drivers class.

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 26, 2010 12:01PM
6200 is plenty heavy.I'd prefer 6000 myself.This class started out many years ago at 5000.

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 26, 2010 12:38PM
I have talked with Kevin Lynn and after our conversation I would be shocked if he were in favor of more weight. If it has been proposed, I would think someone else has to be behind it. My .02 would be to go back to 6000 and figure out how to control it.

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 27, 2010 02:01AM
As soon as I saw the suggested rule changes I knew that Kevin Lynn proposed 6000 lbs and that Larry Philips proposed 6500. I even joked with Kevin and Fatboy in BG that you could tell who was behind each weight. I’m guessing one of the weights was proposed to negate the other proposal.

Personally I think the class should be taken back to 6000 lbs. and people should build their tractors as light as they safely feel they can. If they can’t build them lighter then they should consider lowering the drawbar, there’s no rule that says you have to run the maximum 20” drawbar.

I think the Extremely Insane tractor is a great tractor, but it’s not very light in comparison to some of the other tractors in the class. Larry went with an Engler chassis, which is an excellent chassis but it’s not the lightest option out there. Larry choose not to have a lighter chassis but rather made a decision based on what he believed was performance and quality. Even with the heavier chassis I’m sure the Extremely Insane tractor could still be lightened up with a little work, a little money and/or a little head scratching. Maybe the LSS should talk with some of the triple Allison guys or some of the other Unlimited Mod guys and see who has Titanium bolts, hollow bolts, hollow everything, there’s still a ton of room to shave weight, even off the lightest LSS tractors.

The LSS class has great appeal for two reasons: 1.) 504 CID lets every color and fuel have a shot at winning 2.) the lightweight lets them put on a very exciting show.

It takes a great driver to handle and setup a high horsepower light tractor. The heavier the tractors get that less “show value” the class will have. 6000 lbs. will keep me on the edge of my seat until the very last tractor runs, as it gets heavier I can simply slide back in my seat, put my feet up.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 27, 2010 02:58AM
The rules had to be submitted by August 10th... well before BG. As for the nose of the Rocket going skyward... everyone misses their weight and gear combo, and they sure missed it in Session 1. Just a side note... with the dry track on Friday many LSS pullers had half empty front weight brackets.

I think Kevin is all in favor of lowering the weight to 5500! He'd be the last guy in the class infavor of adding more weight.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 27, 2010 03:44AM
I will say that if the class is important to you, attend the rules meeting at Enderle. Everyone can go and make their voices heard, or get on the NTPA website and call Kevin up. Call Larry (Phillips)
up. If you care about the class, make the phone calls, attend the meetings, let your voice be heard. If the rule changes and you did nothing, you have no right to pi$$ and moan. You don't want to travel for the meeting, I get that, but some of you took the time to write a message on this board, take the time to call, leave a message if you have to, but let your voice be heard.
Light Super Stocks
Chairman: Kevin Lynn - (715) 302-0060 (Dec. 2010)
Scott Everett - (317) 508-6265 (Dec. 2012)
Larry Phillips - (270) 877-6303 (Dec. 2011)

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 27, 2010 06:21AM
I say increase the weight to 6500 and make a new class at 5000 lbs. Therefore the AC 180's and IHC 460's can compete again.

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 27, 2010 06:57AM
I say make it 5800LBS im sure a 180 and a 460 can get in there no problem

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 27, 2010 07:04AM
HOW 'BOUT THIS??
COLUMN 1 COLUMN 2
LLSS - 5500# OR 5000#

LSS - 6500# OR 6000#

USS - 7500# OR 7000#

PICK ONE COLUMN......EITHER THE ODD COLUMN OR THE EVEN COLUMN

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 27, 2010 07:41AM
im with both ac/ih and the smuggler on this one.

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 27, 2010 07:48AM
my tractor is fairly light now but I still have room to make it lighter. as jake stated above with the bolts and so forth. The hood alone on smuggler weights at least 125lbs im sure an aluminum hood alone would save me quite a bit. Theres a class called the lt class 6500 isnt liight.

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 27, 2010 11:40AM
The class like all class has changed drastically over the years. 5,000 lbs was the class but a number of Safety changes took it to 5500. Those being wide front end verses, single wheel or tricylce front end. The use of fire ext., transmission blankets, pullers required to wear helmets. then you add in roll cages and there you are 6,000 lbs. Moveable weight is important in the class, just as it was important at 5,000lbs. The huge difference now and then 3 to 4 times the Horsepower and probably 3 to 4 times the speed. A lot of folks complain about diesel and alky's need to run together to make a good show. I'm not of that opinion. You look back over the years and diesels have dominated the championships from top to bottom. Diesel Pullers need to change there thinging on how they make there power. Right now Alkys rule but not by a whole lot, Esdon is evidence of that. Leave the weight at 6,200 or worst case go to 6,000 but most definitley do not go to 6500.

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 27, 2010 04:12PM
I can make 5000 now even with all those safety changes that you just mentioned. And it's not even a component nor has anything been hogged out. But Esdon can't make the weight. OHOHOH.
We can't have someone else getting attention can we.

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 27, 2010 11:19PM
You very well may make 5,000 but you will not be competitive.

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 28, 2010 01:41AM
And why is that?

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 28, 2010 04:57AM
Mr. well

Where should we start.

1. You will not be competitive well because u will not be at at 505 ci.
2. You well will not be running 3 chargers,
3. You well will not be running a 4 or 5 disc clutch.
4. You well most likely will be lucky to have a reverser or even a transmission, so it can go down the track.
5. You well will not being doing this with a stock rearend or frame and get to 5,000 and be competitive.

But as the old saying goes never say never. If you well have enough money anything is possible, but being competitive is a whole different story.

You have a NICE DAy well

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 28, 2010 06:11AM
I think some are missing the point that Well was making. At 5000lbs he would not need a 5 disk clutch, 505ci, three turbos or anything else you mentioned to be competitive. You or anyone else could simply not put that kind of power to the ground. Therefor it would make a smaller less HP tractor very competitive. But this is not about allowing less HP to be competive it is about the very small group of people with endless funding being able to run unlimited hp at a not so light weight.

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 28, 2010 07:52PM
Thank you light 1. I would really like to see how help well is going to get the 505 3 charger 4 or 5 disk clutch down to 5000 lbs.

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 27, 2010 02:56PM
6500 sounds good who wants to watch 20 lite supers pound the wheele bars all the way down the track kevin and mark know

Re: Attend the rules meeting at Enderle August 27, 2010 03:27PM
Why do you have to go all the way to Ohio just to let your opinion count? The only LTSS Pullers that will be there are the top GN guys. This is the whole root of the problem. They want to make the decisions that effect pullers who never have or probably never will hook at a GN event much less go to the Enderle Pulloff. Send out a ballot to the pullers and let them vote on it. This way the pullers do not have to drive halfway across the country to let their opinions be known.

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 27, 2010 03:54PM
The job of the divisional reps is to submit rule change ideas from pullers. They may or may not agree with the idea, but they are submitted anyway for board vote. As others on here have said, if you have an opinion about the change, talk to these people. Personally, I would like the weights to stay the way they are. As for the bashing of Larry and Kevin, if you believe either one want to trash the class for their own gain, you are sadly mistaken.

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 28, 2010 01:53AM
Very good post Rex. Kevin & Larry are doing their job as class representitives.

Re: NTPA PROPOSED RULE TO MAKE LT SS 6500 August 27, 2010 05:07PM
I know of at least two very competitive light supers around the 5000# weight level. One's blue and one's red, so it can be done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2010 01:32AM by BMC5000.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,676, Posts: 229,778, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason