Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 03, 2010 03:35PM
In 25+ yrs. of watching pulls I had never seen this, but had heard of it. Pumpkin Gone Mad, the Allis D-21 Diesel Super Stock, had a decent run going, he ended up @ 250-275, Pulled back on the throttle......nothing, still screaming wide open. Sled operator yanked the kill switch, still nothing, tires starting to dig to china. Things now got a little more interesting, the people sitting in lawn chairs starting hauling *ss getting away from it as it was sitting right on the right hand chalk line, even some of the people in the bleachers started beating feet outa there. This whole event took mabey 35-45 sec. it seemed like 5 min. The engine finally let loose in a big fireball, everything seemed to stay within the engine compartment or under the tractor. I heard later the rods were hanging out of the bottom of the block. One of the most unnerving things I have ever seen at a pull, it coulda been much much worse. Sandhill binder also went up in a ball of fire and oiled down the track, not sure what happened to him. Schrameck and Hollman both winners, not sure about the other classes.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 03, 2010 04:18PM
yea thats very scary when that happens,ive seen it happen a few times.i had a similar event in a 318 dd,rack stuck wide open,i jerked the emergency kill,still nothing,fortunantly i was approaching a hill i knew i could stall it on.like you said it only takes a couple seconds.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 03, 2010 05:03PM
Sounds like something that happened at the West Alexander Fair a few years ago. It was the 9500 Open class and a Deere, I think it was called Unforgiven, made a good pass around 280' or so. He was flagged, let off the dead man, but the engine kept turning hard. Kill switch on the sled was pulled, nothing changed. By now the tires had dug enough dirt away that the wheelie bars were holding up the tractor. That's when the engine really started to scream since the tires spun freely. The driver then pulled the cable hooked to the rain cap over the intake, but the rain cap stayed open. During all of this, people on the side closer to the action are in a panic, getting the hell outta Dodge. Finally, the driver chokes the engine by just sticking his hand over the intake and then it let out a plume of white smoke and quit running. All I can say is that tractor had some good guts in it since it appeared intact when they towed it off.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 07, 2010 05:11AM
I have a question--would Diuble have been able to kinda slow the motor down if he had put all the pressure he could on the brakes, since the wheels were still under power? I know that what seemed like an eternity was only a few seconds, but I wonder if that would have helped. On another note, I know all of the tech people involved. They are the some of the best that the sport has to offer. So, I am sure that the tractor fuel/kill system was checked. Also, to the person on this board or Fondas a few days ago that had an issue with fire suits/roll cages/5-point harnesses--take a look at the video and tell me what you would have done when that fireball engulfed you. Oh, that's right, you would have jumped through it off the tractor that is still screaming itself to destruction, all in a mtter of seconds. I guess those that are in favor of personal safety equipment made our point on that subject.
Scott D. keep your head up (and your wallet open-lol) and get the Pumpkin back on the track.
JW

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 07, 2010 08:47AM
Where can the video be seen? YouTube?? I was there that night, but would love to see it again from hopefully a different angle.

Re: Destruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 07, 2010 02:01PM
JW- Look at the picture. Hard to tell, but it looks to me like that is what he is trying to do. I don't think your gonna do much to slow it down. My guess is all you would do is build more boost.

Brakes

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 03, 2010 10:34PM
Did he have a rain cap or guillotine do you know for a shut off and why didnt the emergency fuel shutoff work

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 03, 2010 11:52PM
I don't know what kind of shutoff it has, but whatever it was it didn't work. It really is a shame, that tractor is one of the few remaining classics in this pasrt of the contry. Hopefully a new powerplant and it will be on the track again.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 04, 2010 12:35AM
does anyone have this on video?

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 04, 2010 10:07AM
Probably sucking the oil out of the pan and running on it.When that happens,all you can do is,let it run and wait for the melt down.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 04, 2010 01:40PM
Why and how would it do that ? Suck the oil out ? Wheres all this safety stuff and why dont it work ???? I,m sure he had a bunch of money in it ..... but You gotta laugh, the insurance guys are adding zero,s by the second

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 04, 2010 02:12PM
There is no way to keep an engine from sucking oil. I can happen two ways, one you have a hurt piston, ring, sleeve or just some wear and once all the air is shut off to the engine, the piston creates a vaccum and pulls the oil up past the rings and burns it. The other way an engine can suck oil is if you loose a turbo seal and the engine sucks the oil out of the turbo and burns it.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 04, 2010 03:45PM
Was the shutoff checked before he pulled?

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 04, 2010 04:38PM
I believe you still need an air source and to turn a diesel at big rpms oil can be a fuel source but if you kill the air the motor should die. I've been to plenty of pulls where air shutoffs are never checked.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 05, 2010 02:46AM
Even if you shut the air off, which they did if its sucking oil from the turbo like it did, then the only thing you can do is step back and wait for her to blow.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 05, 2010 03:52AM
is there a video of this wreck on youtube?

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 05, 2010 04:22PM
Wow, you just took everything I have ever learned about fire since grade school and thrown it out the window! I was taught that fire needed air to survive. But from what you have just said, I guess all it needs is oil.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 06, 2010 01:37AM
The crankcase on any engine is vented to the outside.Even though you shut off the air coming into an engine you can pull enough air through crankcase vents,holes in pistons and blown turbo seals along with engine oil to keep an engine running.I hope this clears up some of the confusion as to why these diesels can still run with the air shut off pulled.As to any question as to checking the air shut off prior to pulling.Ntpa and PPL require tractors to pass safety inspections at all their events.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 06, 2010 02:26PM
That's not what I asked. I asked if if it had been check before he pulled. I could care less if NTPA or PPL requires it. I want to know if it had been DONE.
Let me put it to you this way.
I know of SEVERAL organizations that REQUIRE it, but have seen personally that it does not get DONE. NTPA included years ago.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 06, 2010 03:04PM
OHIO CASE This reminds me of 2 years ago at the Ridgeland,Wi Sun. Nite pull. A D21 Allis went crazy about the 280-300ft mark, tires spun out and everything kept perculating for about 45 seconds. The driver was trying to shut it down, but to no avail. Finally the sled guy or somebody climd in the the front of the skid and manually pull the shut off cable by hand! It took about 15 seconds for the engine to wind down and quit. This always puts an eery ,quiet feeling in the air.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 15, 2010 12:27PM
I was there at Ridgeland - that old allis was trying to blow up but even running away it couldnt build any power Smiling

[www.youtube.com]
My name = Kyle Kerr

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 06, 2010 06:23PM
In response to your question YES it was checked

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 06, 2010 11:23PM
You need decompression as the old Case and Cat motors had, maybe others had it too

Pictures of Pumkin Gone Mad. September 07, 2010 01:44PM
These pictures clearly show why a firesuits and helment are worn by drivers using a rollcage and a 5 point harness. You just never know.

[www.allinphoto.com]

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 07, 2010 10:36PM
Ok, but how many CFM are you going to flow past piston rings, valve guides? And even if the piston is hurt will it build enough pressure to light the fuel? And that is only one cylinder. I don't buy that you are going to spin a engine to terminal velocity on air leaked through rings and such, I could see the engine trying to keep running at a low rpm that way, but not to the extent that it will blow itself apart. I would however believe more along the lines of it getting air and steam through the water system than feeding an engine around 500 cid or more through piston rings and valve guides.

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 08, 2010 04:19PM
These 2 situations didn't play out the same...?

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 14, 2010 11:38AM
ok ok ok heres what happened the air did shut off, it did suck the oil from the pan to the turbos, the reason there was a fire ball is because the water ran out and turn 1800 degrees and then boom we did get it back together for our home town pull and then we had some more problems the hub on the rear tire broke and there pumkin sat on 3 wheels as you see in pics on allinphotos.com i think it done for the year bent the frame and such . how do i know all this i work on the tractor

Re: Distruction and Carnage @ Wauseon September 15, 2010 12:41PM
WHERE CAN WE SEE A VIDEO OF IT

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,642, Posts: 229,708, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520