JD aluminum axle housings September 05, 2010 10:24AM
I was told once that one of the John Deere skidders had aluminum axle housings that would bolt onto the 4010 rear. Does anyone know which skidder it was? I am trying to get into a 6200 lbs Hot Farm class and the rules do not say I can't have aluminum axle housings. If anyone can offer any help it'd be great.

Re: JD aluminum axle housings September 05, 2010 04:39PM
you should;nt need aluminum axle housing to pull a 6200 pnd class ,we have a 4010 that we got down to 4800pnd with no driver and still had cast axle housing with all stock transmission gears and shafts, put it on a diet

Re: JD aluminum axle housings September 06, 2010 02:31AM
Did you ever think maybe he has rules that don't permit him to strip everything stock?? If there were aliminum housings that appeared stock, that would make perfect sense.

If they exist, I would also love to know. Have a lightened 4010 myself, but this would help out a whole lot more!!

Re: JD aluminum axle housings September 06, 2010 01:50PM
I would like to know also!!!

Re: JD aluminum axle housings September 07, 2010 06:36AM
4010 Gas axle housings are about 70 - 75 pounds lighter per side. Part Number R26010R

Re: JD aluminum axle housings September 07, 2010 08:36AM
Aluminum housings sounded a little too good to be true!! Would be nice though...........

Re: JD aluminum axle housings September 07, 2010 02:04PM
They (aluminum housings) were probably for the 540 skidder. I had a 640 skidder and would have paid WAY too much for a set of aluminum housings. Another advantage to the aluminum housings was they were shorter so you had a shorter axle shaft, losing even more weight.
I know where a set of shorter cast steel housings are at, but I think they are 440 skidder housings. Not sure at all what interchanges. I do know some 640 stuff is same as the 544 JD loaders. I was also gazing at a JD 670 motorgrader diff. for ideas for "borrowing" the locker parts from them to go into the 640,,,,Smiling
But then I got a rockwell center and rockwell PR75 planetaries and the rest is history.
There are aluminum axle housings on the skidder rear on Plaything 2wd from Iowa. I pouted for an hour after I found out he found a set and I couldn't.

Re: JD aluminum axle housings September 07, 2010 03:48PM
Miller Bros made maybe 12 pair of AL. housings for JD skidder rears.

There were some Aluminum skidder style rears made by JD for floaters. Some years ago a surplus place was advertising them for $750 new.

Re: JD aluminum axle housings September 08, 2010 08:48AM
So, by the last two posts, they technically do exist. How the heck would you ever find a set? Sounds like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

Anyone else have info?

Re: JD aluminum axle housings September 08, 2010 12:07PM
I think finding the needle would be better odds!
I talked to Millers and I think Tom's number is about right. Been a while ago, so not sure, but a dozen sounds close.
I wasn't aware of the OEM aluminum ones,,, interesting.
I wonder if Schaffer Enterprises in Wolf Lake, Illinois would have a line on them?

Re: JD aluminum axle housings September 08, 2010 04:15PM
my father in laws jd 540-a skidder is sittin in my yard,all 4 housings on it are magnetic,and not al.

Re: JD aluminum axle housings September 09, 2010 01:51AM
Big A used to use JD skidder rears, (on their tricycle floaters), so they may be the floaters that used the aluminum housings Tom mentioned. (??)
They would have the 14 bolt solid end axles on them instead of the planetary axle end.
Plenty of material to turn the ends down and drill for 9 bolt AG hubs. Been there, done that! Some may have been gun drilled to lose some weight too. Mine weren't.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,762, Posts: 229,923, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,094, Posts: 226,019.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM