Propane flame color October 20, 2010 05:39PM
If propane is injected into a turbo diesel and at the end of the run the tractor snuffs out, blowing a big fireball out the pipe, what color would the flame be? An almost red color? Or would a red flame be nitrous oxide? Also when the tractor takes off, the turbo makes a shrill shriek and continues all the way down the track, if that helps answer the question.

Re: Propane flame color October 21, 2010 12:12AM
nitrous doesnt burn.its an oxygen extender.

Re: Propane flame color October 21, 2010 01:51AM
Nitrous tends to make the fuel burn more complete therefore you would see less smoke and probably not a ball of fire

Re: Propane flame color October 21, 2010 03:31AM
I thought a slow blue ball of fire out the pipe was unburned Propane igniting in the exhaust pipe. Fuel accelerants also cause some of the same effects.

Lack of oxygen October 21, 2010 08:01AM
I would think that excess propane in the exhaust would be orange in color. Propane burns blue when it's correctly mixed with oxygen, just like your barbecue grill. There is virtually no oxygen in the exhaust of an engine. If the tractor powers out, there will be excess fuel, and therefore excess propane. This propane cannot burn with the appropriate amount of oxygen in the cylinder, so it exists through the exhaust pipe and ignites. In my opinion, that's why the flame would be orange, not blue.

Re: Lack of oxygen October 21, 2010 08:24AM
unburnt diesel in the exhaust side will fireball too!

Re: Lack of oxygen October 21, 2010 12:23PM
Exactly. Look at pictures of the ProPain tractor of Colberg when he does his fire show. Excess propane.

Re: Lack of oxygen October 21, 2010 04:35PM
colberg injects extra propain in the exhaust to put on a show

Re: Propane flame color October 21, 2010 12:43PM
turbo housing is tight if its squealing, prolly to tight

Re: Propane flame color October 21, 2010 04:21PM
It's unburnt fuel! It makes some awesome shows at the end of some pulls...some tractors do it, some don't!

1566 from Ogilvie raceway pull did that too October 22, 2010 03:04AM
Wasn't there was a discussion awhile back on this subject about a IH 1566 that blew out a fire balls at the end of the pull and the tractor had unstopable power. Weren't they were caught with propane injection hid in the air cleaner?

Watch for yourself October 22, 2010 04:39AM
Here is a video of what I'm wondering. I know those model 100 pumps can be beefed up for a lot more fuel output, but I don't think it's putting out that much fuel, especially since the smoke isn't that black.

Re:excessive fuel in exhaust October 22, 2010 05:18AM
ours used to that at the end of a run when it would stall out before water and with 1700 - 1800 degree exhaust temps.

Re: Re:excessive fuel in exhaust October 22, 2010 06:51AM
Seems like a power adder to me. Thats why it doesnt idle down like it should when he releases the throttle. But what the heck do I know? I have never used a power adder so I dont really know what it will make an engine do!

Re: Watch for yourself October 22, 2010 10:50AM
quite obvious, that's unburnt diesel! now if he were to give his valves a little more tappet clearance, it would probably run a lot better. surly this can't be your biggest competition?

Re: Watch for yourself October 22, 2010 12:55PM
I don't even pull in this guy's class. That guy has a 1466 that always runs better than the 1066 in the video. I was just curious as to why it blew that fireball like that; I thought unburnt fuel would be more of an orange color, not reddish.

Re: Watch for yourself October 22, 2010 01:25PM
The color of the fame depends on the temperature of the fire.

Re: Watch for yourself October 22, 2010 01:34PM
I Pull and Oliver 88 D and my tractor shoots out a fireball not near that but in my opinion it is fuel u have to look at compression and how hot exhaust is casue all smokers will put out a little flame depending on exhaust...

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,793, Posts: 229,997, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,103, Posts: 226,071.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009