Bias vs Radial October 26, 2010 01:28PM
Which would be better Firestone 23 degree 18.4 - 38 Radial or 20.8 - 38 Bias Firestone.

Re: Bias vs Radial October 26, 2010 03:24PM
Who has tried it. Even if they were both 20.8x38 lets say firestone 23 degree bias with good edge and about 40% tread vs 20.8x38 firestone 23 degree super all traction radial about 40% tread. Can the bias come close?

Re: Bias vs Radial October 27, 2010 06:55AM
Really depends on how hard you spin them.
Farm Stock Pullers have pretty much done away with the Firestone bias in favour of Michelin XM108 radials. But it becomes very visible that when you spin the bias hard enough (so they start to grow and raise your hitch) you can get an advantage. The radial has a bigger footprint but won't change shape much....

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Bias vs Radial October 27, 2010 12:41PM
Thanks for the help,the reason I'm asking is because my radial's BOUNCE, and the 20's Radial will gear me up to fast I was hoping I could change the tires and still run with the radials without having to go in and change all my gears and still have the bouncing problem. And I know it is the tires because I've run B F goodrich bias and the bounce goes away, but they won't get the job done. THANKS !!!!!!!!!

Re: Bias vs Radial October 27, 2010 01:40PM
We had this problem this past summer on a 1066. we run a set of firestone 18.4 radials had ahad this bouncing problem,to the point of daylight underneath the tire, we final figured out its different than a regular tire we ended up going up in tire psi. an that helped alot. the previous year we had 18.4 bias an never had a hop problem I am not saying this is going to take all the hop away but it helped us out just my 2 cents

Re: Bias vs Radial October 27, 2010 02:21PM
I've tryed the pressure every where from 14 to 28 the lower helped me more, Ive tryed the front end heavy,light, I've run the hitch low,I've run most of the weight in the middle, nothing cures it.The 18's will run with any tire IF it don't bounce, was wanting something that would be consistent, any help. THANKS !!!!!!!

Re: Bias vs Radial October 27, 2010 02:27PM
could it be just those tires are the worn funny? are you running an wheel weights?have you measured the overall diameter of them it sounds like you have bad set of tires .I guy up here ran 1 set that bounce put another set of the same brand an size and didn't hope. are your tires on strech rims??

Re: Bias vs Radial October 28, 2010 02:15PM
No wheel weights, I haven't measured around them.At the last of the year I got to bringing it home jacking the back up and leaving it on stands and putting about 30 psi air hoping to stretch them, thought they may have flat spots, and not letting the air out till I got to the pull.Some have bought NEW tires and had them cut, some say the used tires the sidewalls are weak from heavy use on the farm and tires are on brand new wheels.18" wide they you don't want a wide wheel with the radial, you want the sidewall more straight up & down. I DON'T KNOW. I hate to buy a new set and have the same problem.

Re: Bias vs Radial October 28, 2010 03:01PM
Coy,

I have heard that radial tires act liked a coiled spring and bounce like you say. I have also gotten my "a" handed to me by the same tire. What weight class do you pull? What kind of power do you make? I have seen radials run as low as 5 PSI. What kind of tracks do run on? I have not read a lot above, maybe some of these questions have been answered. Please give some details.

Thanks.

Re: Bias vs Radial October 29, 2010 01:52PM
I run 8,500, around 1,000 HP, mainly good tight tracks, if it takes a notion it will bounce on a good track or a bad track, when you go you never know what it will do. The lowest I've run the tires is 14 PSI. THANKS for the help.

Re: Bias vs Radial October 29, 2010 03:10PM
I always thought the better the track the less advantage for the radials. I have seen radials kill everyone on wet tracks. I would not be afraid to try 10 psi. If your rim is really wide you may be causing some of your own trouble.
Good Luck!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,954, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,037.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009